2001 cloning cattle
2002年5月中旬 成功地繁殖了一 只胚胎细胞克隆
2002年4月十六日美 国第一头克隆牛“艾 米”产下牛犊喜作妈 咪
2005 cloning dogs
Discussion In pairs, look at the following pictures and
discuss which ones are natural clones and which ones are man-made. Explain how
Natural clone is one that occurs in a natural form of cloning without human help. Man-made clone is one that produced through human intervention(介入) .
A strawberry plant
A strawberry plant
The new plants that grow from the runners are exact copies of the original plant.
The gardener should cut the plant ,then the cutting produce another new plant.
They are born naturally and identical in sex and appearance.
Dolly the sheep
How does Dolly differ from other sheep? She was cloned while the others were born naturally.Dolly was a ______ cloned sheep.
1. Skim and sum up the main idea of
the main idea of each paragraph.
1. The definition _________ of cloning
2.Cloning has ____________ two major uses. 3.The _________ problems of Dolly. effect of Dolly. 4. The ________
5. It is __________ forbidden to clone human beings.
Try to get the answers to the following five questions.
1. What is cloning?
2. What are the two major uses of cloning? 3. Try to descirbe the procedure of cloning in Chinese. 4. Why is cloning controversial according to the passage? 5. What is the author’s attitude towards cloning ?
1. What is cloning? It is a way of making an exact copy of another animal or plant.
2. What are the two major uses of cloing? Firstly,…commercial; Secondly, …research…
4. Why is cloning controversial according to the passage?
On one hand, it may be used cure serious disease and even t produce human beings. On the hand, some evil leaders may use it to clone themselves to attain their ambitions. Moral questions may also be raised.
The word “controversial” in para 4 probably means ____________. A. complicated B. arguable C. important
5. The writer’s attitude towards cloning
A. Objective(be fair) B. Negative (be against it) C. Positive (be in favor of it) the author does not state any Because_______________________________________
personal opinion about cloning.
The problems of Dolly At first, the fact that Dolly developed _________ normally in a natural way was encouraging ___________. Later, the news _____she lived for six years, that half the length of the life of the orginal ______ one was __________. disturbing Finally, the problem that occurred to the scientists was that a cloned animal lives __________ shorter than the original one.
1. Which is easier to clone, plant or animal?
Because cloning plants is straightforward , but the cloning of animals is very complicated.
2. What’s your attitude towards forbiding research into human cloning.
1. Translate the procedure of cloning Dolly the sheep into Chinese. 2. Read the passage again after class.