Unit 1 Friendship
1. Look at the pictures and the title of the reading passage. Guess what it might be about.
2. Now observe the text carefully to find out:
? how many parts it contains ? what the different parts are about
It contains two parts. One part is one page of Anne’s diary, the other one is the background knowledge about Anne and her diary.
Background: World War II
Jews being rounded up by Nazi soldiers and forced to leave home.
In Nazi Germany, Jews were required to wear a yellow star of David on their clothing.
Polish Jews on their way to a Nazi death camp
Jews in a concentration camp（集中营）
Victims of the gas
A mass grave
The Holocaust （大屠杀） The remains of Jews （幸存者）
? In 1933, the Jewish population of Europe stood at over nine million. Many European Jews lived in countries that Nazi Germany would occupy or influence. By 1945, nearly two out of every three European Jews had been killed as part of the "Final Solution," which was the Nazi policy to murder all the Jews of Europe. ? Recent research, by Professor Yisrael Gutman and Dr. Robert Rozett in the Encyclopedia of the Holocaust, estimates the Jewish deaths at 5.59–5.86 million, and a study headed by Dr. Wolfgang Benz presents a range from 5.29–6 million. ? “A thousand years will pass and the guilt of Germany will not be erased.” – Oct 16, 1946 Hans Frank (Governor of occupied Poland, convicted as a major Nazi war criminal in 1945)
II Fast reading
1. Read the first part of the reading section and answer these questions:
? Who was Anne’s best friend? Her diary―Kitty. ? When did the story happen? During World War II.
2. Fill in the form below:
The place of the story The heroine’s（女主人 公）full name Her best friend The length of time her family hid away The time they started to hide
Netherlands Anne Frank her diary--Kitty over two years July 1942
3. Join the correct parts of the sentences.
1.Anne kept a diary because 2.She felt very lonely because
3.They have to hide because
4.Anne named her diary Kitty because
A.she couldn’t meet her friends. B.Jews were caught by Nazis and put away. C.she could tell everything to it. D.she wanted it to be her best friend.
4. Read the diary quickly to find out the main idea of the diary. her feelings about nature ? Anne expressed _______________________after hiding for a long time. Everything about nature ? ______________________kept Anne spellbound.
III Careful reading
1. Read the diary carefully and fill in the table. Time Nature Feeling never felt spellbound felt crazy
Before hiding blue sky, songs of birds, moonlight, flowers
After hiding darkness, rain, wind, thundering clouds
anxious sad Anne’s feelings as she was looking out at the night sky calm crazy eager excited
How do you think he felt?
Before he was rescued:
After he was rescued:
Josef, a Jewish boy rescued （解救）during World War II
Pick out the difficult sentences from the reading passage. Discuss in groups of four and work out the meaning together.
1. I wonder if it’s because I haven’t been able to be outdoors for so long that I’ve grown so crazy about everything to do with nature. 2. I can well remember that there was a time when a deep blue sky, the song of the birds, moonlight and flowers could never have kept me spellbound. 3. It was the first time in a year and a half that I’d seen the night face to face… 4. I am only able to look at nature through dirty curtains hanging before very dusty windows.
1. I wonder if it’s because I haven’t been able to be outdoors for so long that I’ve grown so crazy about everything to do with nature. it’s because… grow/be crazy about… something/anything/everything to do with… 我不知道这是不是因为我很久无法出门的 缘故,我变得对一切与大自然有关的事物都 无比狂热。
2. I can well remember that there was a time when a deep blue sky, the song of the birds, moonlight and flowers could never have kept me spellbound. when 引导的定语从句（划线部分）修饰句 中的time spellbind v. 吸引人；迷人 我记得很清楚，以前，湛蓝的天空、鸟儿的 歌唱、月光和鲜花，从未令我心迷神往过。
3. It was the first time in a year and a half that I’d seen the night face to face… It’s the first time…that… 某人第一次做某事 face to face... 面对面 这是我一年半以来第一次面对面目睹夜晚。
4. I am only able to look at nature through dirty curtains hanging before very dusty windows. hanging before very dusty windows 现在分 词短语, 修饰curtains. 我只能透过肮脏的窗帘看大自然,窗帘悬挂 在沾满灰尘的窗前。
1. According to the information in the table below try to use the first person to retell the story:
Anne’s best friend
What What kind When Where
her diary told everything to World War II Amsterdam, Netherlands
hid away so as not to be caught
Time Nature Before blue sky, songs of hiding birds, moonlight, flowers After darkness, rain, hiding wind, thundering clouds Feeling never felt spellbound felt crazy, held in their power
I lived in Amsterdam ___________in the ______________ Netherlands Jewish during _____________. World War II My family were ______, hide away for a year and a half so we had to ___________ to be caught in ordernot ________________ by the German Nazis. During that time I wasn’t able to go grown so crazy ________ outdoors for so long that I had ______________ do with nature. Once, I about everything to _______ at midnight by decided to look at the moon ___________ myself.
But I didn’t _______ dare to open the window to see to face because I was afraid of the night face ___________ being discovered by the Nazis. lonely without seeing my old I felt very _______ friends. So I had to make a new friend -my diary Kitty whom I could tell everything _____________, _________ to. Sadly, at last my family was discovered and German Nazis sometime later. caught bythe _______________
1. Read the text again and review the meaning
and usage of the key words and phrases:
do sth. on purpose, in order to, face to face, hide away, set down, a series of, go through, dare, hold…in one’s power, no longer 2. Retell the story yourself in the first person.
Now Today Yesterday
Adverbial of time This week/month/year Last week/month/year Three days ago Tomorrow
Then That day The day before/the previous day That week/month/year The week/month/year before Three days before The next/following day
Try to change direct speech into indirect speech : 1. He said, “the earth goes around the sun.” He said that the earth goes around the sun. 2. He said, “The train leaves at 7:30p.m.” He said that the train leaves at 7:30p.m. 3. He said, “Rome isn’t built in a day.” He said that Rome isn’t built in a day. 4. Tom said, “I was born in July, 1978.” Tom said he was born in July, 1978.