Unit 3 The Million Pound Bank-Note
第一部分：听力（共两节，满分 30 分） 第一节（共 5 小题；每小题 1.5 分，满分 7.5 分） 请听下面 5 段对话，选出最佳选项。 1. What are the two speakers talking about? A. Hobbies. B. Music. C. P
2. Where is Mr Jones now? A. At home. B. At the health center. C. At his office.
3. What do the two speakers think of Tom? A. He gets nervous very easily. B. He is not an experienced speaker. C. He hasn’t prepared his speech well. 4. Why was the woman so late? A. Something went wrong with the bus. B. She took somebody to hospital. C. She didn’t catch the bus. 5. What does the man mean? A. He enjoys most types of games. B. Basketball is his favorite sport. C. He only plays basketball. 第二节（共 15 小题; 每小题 1.5 分，满分 22.5 分） 请听下面 5 段对话或独白，选出最佳选项。 请听第 6 段材料，回答第 6、7 题。 6. What is the man doing? A. He is being interviewed. B. He is making a flash. C. He is playing computer games. 7. What do you think will happen after the conversation?
第 1 页 共 12 页
A. The woman will call Mr Taylor. B. The woman won’t make the website. C. The woman won’t get in touch with Mr Taylor. 请听第 7 段材料，回答第 8 至 10 题。 8. What is the woman going to do? A. Prepare lunch. B. Have a party. C. Go to a friend’s house for dinner.
9. What does the woman still need? A. A tie. B. Some flowers. C. Some candy.
10. What should one do when he goes to a friend’s house for the first time according to the woman’s mother? A. Take something. B. Get dressed up. C. Have dinner.
请听第 8 段材料，回答第 11 至 13 题。 11. How many times did the man call Mr Tuang last week? A. Twice. B. Once. C. Three times.
12. What does the man want Mr Tuang to do? A. To have dinner with him. B. To call him back. C. To visit him. 13. What’s the man’s telephone number? A. 37460. B. 37640. C. 36470.
请听第 9 段材料，回答第 14 至 17 题。 14. What does the woman want to do? A. Rent a flat. B. Sell her house. C. Buy a house.
15. How many people are there in the woman’s family? A. 2. B. 4. C. 6.
16. How much should the woman pay for the three-room flat every month? A. 400 yuan. B. 600 yuan. C. 1,000 yuan.
17. What can we learn from the conversation? A. You can take the lift at 12:00 pm in the building. B. You can’t take the lift at 6:00 am in the building.
第 2 页 共 12 页
C. The three-room flat is on the 8th floor. 请听第 10 段材料，回答第 18 至 20 题。 18. What was wrong with Mrs Jenkins? A. Something was wrong with her heart. B. Something was wrong with her back. C. Something was wrong with her foot. 19. What did the doctor do at first? A. He listened to Mrs Jenkins’ voice. B. He listened to Mrs Jenkins’ heart. C. He asked Mrs Jenkins to stop smoking. 20. What did Mrs Jenkins like to drink? A. Tea. B. Coffee. C. Water.
第二部分：英语知识运用（共两节，满分 45 分） 第一节：单项填空（共 15 小题；每小题 1 分，满分 15 分） 从 A、B、C、D 四个选项中，选出可以填入空白处的最佳选项。 21. —Excuse me, sir, ________ —I’d like a cup of coffee and two pieces of bread. A. what do you want? B. may I have your order? C. this table is reserved. D. I would like to serve you. 22. The reason for his success is ______ he worked very hard. A. why B. that C. whether D. how
23. The bill would ______ workers twelve weeks of unpaid leave for family emergencies. A. permit B. supply C. admit D. provide
24. She’s going to have problems finding a job ______she gets good marks. A. for B. since C. so that D. even if
25. In the end I lost my ______ and shouted at her. A. character B. manner C. benefit
第 3 页 共 12 页
26. —What do you think of their marriage? —______, if I were Kate, I would not marry him. A. Generally speaking C. To be honest B. I have no idea D. To my surprise
27. He couldn’t ______ the fact that the money was found in his house. A. answer for B. leave for C. account for D. care for
28. Teachers cannot be expected to ______ all the responsibility for poor exam results. A. accept B. lead C. shoulder D. answer
29. Would any one of you please tell me ______ to the railway station? A. how far is it B. how far it is C. how far is D. how far
30. —Would you mind if I turned on the radio and listened to some music? —______. In fact, I also like to listen to music in my car. A. No, you can’t B. Yes, I do C. No, go ahead D. OK, no problem
31. Then you usually lie there just ______ the ceiling, thinking about everything that could go wrong. A. glancing at B. watching at C. glaring at D. staring at
32. He made his last ______ for the club in the Cup Final. A. performance B. appearance C. show D. scene
33. The pilot, whether ______ or design, made the plane do a sharp turn. A. by accident B. at times C. suddenly D. all at once
34. If you ask me, I would say that I won’t mind ______abroad to enrich my knowledge. A. taking B. to take C. to be taken D. being taken
35. It was rude ______ you to stare at the foreigner when he passed by just now. A. of B. for C. with D. to
第二节：完形填空（共 20 小题；每小题 1.5 分，满分 30 分） 阅读下面短文，掌握其大意，然后从 36—55 各题所给的四个选项（A、B、C 和 D）中， 选出最佳选项。 Jack Baines is a self-made millionaire, but his beginnings were very lowly. He was the youngest of eight children. His father had a 36 in a cotton mill (纱厂), but he was often 38 37
to work because of poor health. The family couldn’t
第 4 页 共 12 页
to pay the rent or bills, and the
children often went 39 . After leaving school at the age of 14, Jack was 40 Mr Walker, his old teacher, offered to lend him ￡100 to start his own 41 .
what to do when
It was just after the war. Raw materials were not enough, and Jack saw a
metal(废弃金属). He bought bits of metal and stored it in an old garage. When he had built up a large amount, he sold it and 43 plenty of money.
Jack 44 working hard. After one year he succeeded in 45 the ￡100. By the time Jack was 30 years old he had 46 his first million, and he wanted to 49 47
this achievement by doing something “ 48 ”. With all his money it was
to build a beautiful 50 of the
home for himself and his parents. In 1959, “Baines Castle” was built in the Lancashire countryside. It was one of the finest buildings in the country. Jack has recently sold “Baines Castle” for ￡500 million, to 52 the good life. He can
51 Jack still can’t get used
53 be found drinking with the locals at the local pub（酒吧）. as a child, but never 55 as a child,” says Jack, “and I
“I remember being very 54
will never forget where I came from and who I am.” 36. A. job 37. A. able 38. A. offer 39. A. wrong 40. A. seeing 41. A. school 42. A. problem 43. A. spent 44. A. enjoyed 45. A. developing 46. A. given 47. A. remember 48. A. common 49. A. impossible 50. A. ground 51. A. so B. work B. glad B. like B. hungry B. wondering B. farm B. purpose B. borrowed B. preferred B. saving B. made B. honor B. simple B. possible B. front B. and C. company C. unable C. expect C. ill C. doubting C. business C. future C. wasted C. promised C. repaying C. taken C. celebrate C. interesting C. obvious C. spot C. or
第 5 页 共 12 页
D. house D. eager D. afford D. bad D. preparing D. store D. principle D. earned D. hated D. paying D. lost D. recognize D. grand D. basic D. heart D. but
52. A. using 53. A. often 54. A. rich 55. A. proud
B. sparing B. never B. poor B. satisfied
C. living C. sometimes C. healthy C. unhappy
D. keeping D. seldom D. well D. happy
第三部分：阅读理解（共两节，满分 20 分） 第一节：阅读下列短文，从每题所给的四个选项（A、B、C 和 D）中，选出最佳选项。（共 8 小题；每小题 2 分，满分 16 分） A Hobbs was an orphan（孤儿）. He worked in a factory and every day he got a little money. Hard work made him thin and weak. He wanted to borrow a lot of money to learn to paint pictures, but he did not think he could pay off the debts. One day a lawyer said to him, “One thousand dollars, and here is the money.” As Hobbs took the package of notes, he was very dumbfounded. He didn’t know where the money came from and how to spend it. He said to himself, “I could go to find a hotel and live like a rich man for a few days; or I give up my work in the factory and do what I’d like to do: painting pictures. I could do that for a few weeks, but what would I do after that? I should have lost my place in the factory and have no money to live on. If it were a little less money, I would buy a new coat, or a radio, or give a dinner to my friends. If it were more, I could give up the work and pay for painting pictures. But it’s too much for one and too little for the other.” “Here is the reading of your uncle’s will（遗嘱）,” said the lawyer, “telling what is to be done with this money after his death. I must ask you to remember one point. Your uncle has said you must bring me a paper showing exactly what you did with his money, as soon as you have spent it.” “Yes, I see. I’ll do that,” said the young man. 56. Hobbs wanted to borrow money to _______. A. study abroad C. pay off the debts B. work abroad D. learn to paint pictures
57. What does the underlined word “dumbfounded” （in Paragraph 2） probably mean? A. Surprised. B. Frightened.
第 6 页 共 12 页
58. With the money he got, at first Hobbs _______. A. planned to have a happy life for a few days B. decided to give up his work in the factory C. was to give a dinner to his friends D. had no idea what to do 59. Hobbs was asked to _______. A. tell the lawyer what he did with the money after spending it B. read his uncle’s will C. tell the lawyer what was to be done with the money D. buy some pictures
B Mark Twain was a great writer. He was from the USA. He was born in 1835. He was also a famous speaker. He was famous for his sense of humour. Many people liked to listen to him talk because he liked to tell some interesting stories to make people laugh all the time. One day Mark Twain was going to a small town because of his writing. Before he was going to leave, one of his friends said to him that there were always a lot of mosquitoes in the town and told him that he’d better not go there. Mark Twain waved (摇动) his hand and said, “It doesn’t matter. The mosquitoes are no relatives of mine. I don’t think they will come to visit me.” After he arrived at the town, Mark Twain stayed in a small hotel near the station. He went into his room, but when he was just about to have a rest, quite a few mosquitoes flew about him. The waiters felt very sorry about that. “I’m very sorry, Mr Mark Twain. There are too many mosquitoes in our town.” One of them said to him. Mark Twain, however, made a joke, saying to the waiter, “The mosquitoes are very clever. They know my room number. They didn’t come into the wrong room.” What he said made all the people present laugh heartily. But that night Mark Twain slept well. Do you know why? That was because all the waiters in the hotel were driving the mosquitoes away for him during the whole night. 60. That day Mark Twain went to the town _____.
第 7 页 共 12 页
A. to see one of his friends B. because he wanted to do something there for his writing C. because he was told there were a lot of mosquitoes there D. to see one of his relatives 61. The waiters felt sorry because _____. A. they did something wrong to Mark Twain B. their hotel was too small C. the room was not very clean D. there were quite a few mosquitoes in Mark Twain’s room 62. All the people present laughed heartily because _____. A. the mosquitoes were very clever and they didn’t come into the wrong room B. the mosquitoes knew Mark Twain’s room number C. Mark Twain gave the waiters some nice presents D. Mark Twain made a joke 63. From the story we know _____. A. no mosquitoes troubled Mark Twain in the night B. the owner of the hotel told the waiters to look after Mark Twain well at night C. Mark Twain didn’t have a good rest that night D. there were not mosquitoes in the hotel any longer 第二节：阅读下面短文, 并回答问题。（共 2 小题；每小题 2 分，满分 4 分） A small pub in eastern England was recently named Pub of the Year. The pub, whose name is the Swan, is a 16th century country pub. It won the title for its very good beer, and its rules on 64 . The pub, which dates back to 1599, is also used as the village hall. The local church’s supper evenings are also usually held there. It offers free tents for those who prefer not to drive home after a long evening, especially during the pub’s summer beer festival. But if you’re wearing a hat back-to-front, you won’t be let in. “People who don’t know how to dress don’t know how to drink,” said the manager. Besides, the guests are not allowed to use bad language.
第 8 页 共 12 页
However, dogs and children are welcome — as long as they come with polite parents. 64. What are the missing words in the blank in the second paragraph? 65. According to the manager, why is one wearing a hat back-to-front not allowed in the pub?
第四部分: 写作(共两节, 满分 25 分) 第一节：句子翻译（共 5 小题；每小题 2 分，满分 10 分） 66. 时间不允许我久留。(permit) 67. 由于缺乏耐心，这位护士陷入了困境。(lack; patience; get into trouble) 68. 老实说，事故发生时我不在现场。(to be honest; spot) 69. 我们打赌看谁先背下这篇文章。(make a bet) 70. 粗心大意地驾驶是许多事故发生的原因。(account for) 第二节：书面表达（满分 15 分） 根据下面提供的情景, 写一段不少于 50 词的接续文字。 Mark is a middle school student. He lives in a tall building in the middle of the town. About a mile from Mark’s building there are many old houses. They are all empty and going to be pulled down. His father says they are dangerous and tells him to keep away from them. However, he enjoys playing there very much. One Friday on his way home from school...
Unit 3 听力材料及参考答案 （Text 1） M: Is there anything you like doing? W: I love playing very much, and sometimes I also write. And I’m very fond of music. I play the piano and I enjoy listening to music, too. （Text 2） M: Hello, this is John Hopkins at the Riverside Health Centre. I’d like to speak to Mr Jones. W: I’m sorry, Mr Hopkins, my husband isn’t at home. But I can give you his office phone number. He won’t be back until six o’clock. （Text 3） W: Tom looks awfully nervous, doesn’t he?
第 9 页 共 12 页
M: Yes. I’m afraid he is not used to making speeches. （Text 4） M: What happened to you? You are so late. W: The bus I took broke down in front of the hospital, and I had to walk from there. （Text 5） W: Why did you go to the basketball game, Jim? M: I’m a real sports lover. （Text 6） W: Okay, Mr Taylor, let’s go ahead and begin. First of all, tell me about your last job. M: Well, I worked for five years at Hi-Tech-Computers. W: Okay. Hi-Tech. How about your website writing skills? Oh, we are looking for someone to create and manage our company’s website. M: Umm...uh, website, website. Huh...I don’t think I’ve read that book. W: Huh? And what about the experience with making a flash? M: Well...I think sometimes computers flash...if that’s what you mean. W: Okay, Mr Taylor, I think I have all the information I need! M: Oh, and I really like computer games. I play them every day. W: Right, right. Thanks, Mr Taylor. We’ll be in touch. （Text 7） M: Wow, you’ve all dressed up. Where are you going? W: My friend invited me to his house for dinner. I just need one more thing and I’ll be all set. M: What’s that? You look good to me. W: I want to buy some flowers to take. It’s the first time I’ve been to his house. M: That’s a nice idea. W: Yes. My mother always taught me never to go to a person’s house empty-handed, at least not for the first time. （Text 8） W: AST Sales Department. May I help you? M: Yes. I’d like to speak to Mr Tuang, please. W: Oh, I’m sorry he’s not in at the moment. Can I take a message?
第 10 页 共 12 页
M: Well, if he’s not in, um, I always seem to have trouble contacting him. Well, I’ve phoned him twice last week. Look, I think the best thing to do is to ask him to phone me. He’s got my telephone number, but it’s 37460. Tell him to phone as soon as possible. W: So if he comes back I shall ask him to ring you at 37460. Is that right? M: Yes, please. W: And could I have your name, please? M: Mr Ibson of Carlos Enterprises. W: Could you spell your name, please? M: Ibson, that’s spelt I-B-S-O-N. （Text 9） W: I see a “Flat for rent” sign outside, so could you show me the flat for rent? M: Sure. We have a one-room flat on the 2nd floor for 400 yuan a month. W: I’m afraid it’s too small for a family of four. We have two children. Do you have any three-room flat for rent? M: Well, there is a three-room flat on the 8th floor for 1,000 yuan a month. W: Is there a lift in this building? M: Yes, but it operates from 4:30 in the morning to 11:30 in the evening. W: That sounds not too bad. Will you show me the flat? M: Certainly. Please follow me. （Text 10） Mrs Jenkins went to see her doctor one day, because her heart was giving her trouble. The doctor listened to her heart carefully and did a few other things. Then he said, “Well, Mrs Jenkins, stop smoking, and then you’ll be all right again. ” “But doctor,” answered Mrs Jenkins quickly, “I’ve never smoked. I don’t like smoking.” “Oh, well,” said the doctor, “then don’t drink any wine.” “But I don’t drink wine,” answered Mrs Jen-kins at once. “Stop drinking tea and coffee then,” the doctor said to her. “I only drink water,” answered Mrs Jenkins. “I don’t like tea or coffee.” The doctor thought for a few seconds and then said, “Well, how about potatoes?” “Yes, I like them very much,” answered Mrs Jenkins.
第 11 页 共 12 页
“All right, then stop eating those,” said the doctor as he got up to say goodbye to Mrs Jenkins.
参考答案： 1-5 ACBAA 11-15 ABAAB 21-25 BBADD 31-35 DBADA 41-45 CCDAC 51-55 DCABC 60-63 BDDA 64. wearing hats and speaking 65. He may drink impolitely. / The manager thought “people who don’t know how to dress don’t know how to drink.” 66. a. Time doesn’t permit my staying longer. b. Time doesn’t permit me to stay longer. 67. Because the nurse lacked patience, she got into trouble. 68. To be honest, I was not on the spot when the accident happened. 69. We are making a bet on who’s going to recite this text first. 70. Careless driving accounts for many accidents. One possible version: Mark went into one of the empty old houses. He saw a door leading down into a small dark cellar. He went into the cellar to see what he could find. Just then he heard a terrible crash. The roof of the old house fell in. Mark tried to open the cellar door. But he couldn’t. So he had to stay there. Mark was saved three days later by some policemen. They used dogs to find him. 6-10 ACCBA 16-20 CCABC 26-30 CCCBC 36-40 ACDBB 46-50 BCDBD 56-59 DADA
第 12 页 共 12 页