Developing and Developed Countries
Module 2 Grammar
gh it was barely four o’clock, the lights were already on. He said they were married, although I’m sure they aren’t. He’s very lovable although not at all tidy.
But 1. 连接两个并列分句 Honey is sweet, but the bee stings. I ought to have helped her, but I never could. 2. 连接两个并列成分 They see the trees but not the forest. He no longer felt disappointed, but happy and hopeful. 后接状语 He tried to save it, but in vain. He glanced about, but seeing only the empty room.
1) His first response was to say no. Later, however, he changed his mind. 2) Sales are poor this month. There may, however, be an increase before Christmas.
I’ll offer it to Tom. However, he may not want it. You know all this as well as I do, however.
While 引导状语从句，表示对比、让步、时间等。 Some countries are rich, while others are extremely poor. I do every single bit of housework while he just does the dishes now and again. (but) While I accept that he's not perfect in many respects, I do actually quite like the man. (although) Strike while the iron is hot. (when) I thought I heard him come in while we were having dinner. (during)
总结1 While 做连词除引导时间状语从句 外，还可以表示前后句之间的对 比转折。由although 引导的让步状 语从句，可译为“虽然”。常用 于句首，且不与but连用。
总结2 However 放于句首句尾句中都可以, 但有逗号与之隔开。 But 转折意义更强烈, 既可以连接两
1. 用连词and/however/while/although 完成
and 1). British English ____ American
English are more or less the same. 2). ________ it was not safe to stay in the Although house, they didn’t move at all.
3. He knows so many difficulties are in
however front of him. He will not, ________,
while 4. He wants to study abroad, _____ his
brother wants to stay at home.
Translate the following sentences into English.
1. 他个子矮而他兄弟个子高。 He is short, while his brother is tall. 2. 他很努力，然而还是失败了。 He worked hard. However, he failed. 3. 痛得厉害，可是他并不呻吟。 The pain was bad, but he did not complain.
1. John saves his money, _____ George spends all he gets. A. whether B. as C. though D. while 2. I’d love to come ___ I can’t make it till 8 o’clock. A. so B. but C. however D. while
3. ____ I’m writing this, you can be doing something else. A. Before B. After C. Until D. While 4. ______ times were changed, Bursley was still Bursley. A. Whether B. Though C. Whenever D. However
5. The south of the country grows richer, ______the north grows poorer. A. while B. neither C. if D. although 6. ____he is very old, he is healthy. A. As B. However C. Though D. Whereas
7. Britain is not mountainous, ___ Italy is. A. however B. while C. although D. unless 8. He was feeling bad. He went to work, ______, and tried to concentrate. A. however B. so C. although D. while
9. He promised to help me. ____, he is busy and hasn’t come. A. While B. Although C. However D. Whether 10. She’s been learning Italian for six years, ______ she doesn’t speak it very well. A. for B. so C. but D. as
11. They wanted to charge $5000 for the car, ____ we managed to bring the price down. A. but B. so C. when D. since 12. — Somebody wants you on the telephone. — _____no one knows I’m here. A. For B. And C. But D. So
13. Mr. Hall understands that _____ maths has always been easy for him, it is not easy for the students. A. unless B. since C. although D. when 14. _______she is young, she knows quite a lot. A. When B. However C. Although D. Unless