I was ______ work last week, but I changed my mind. a. to start b. to have started c. to be starting d. to have been starting I intended ______ the matter with
you, but I had some guests then. a. discuss b. discussing c. having discussed d. to have discussed Don’t let me catch you ______. a. do that again b. to do that again
c. doing that again
d. done that again
There are many kinds of metals ______. a. each has its special properties b. one has its special properties c. each having its special properties d. having its special properties It’s pay-day, and they’re waiting ______. a. for paying b. to be paid c. to be paying _______ trouble, I’m going to forget the whole affair. a. Then rather cause b. Rather causing c. Rather than cause d. Rather than caused The brilliance of his satires was ______ make even his victims laugh. a. so as to b. such as to c. so that d. such that Children with parents whose guidance is firm, consistent, and rational are inclined ______ high levels of self-confidence. a. possess b. have possessed c. to possess d. possessing The worker is ______ in repairing the machine to notice my coming. a. too busy b. enough busy c. busy too d. busy enough “I watched my father ______ his motorbike.” a. to repair b. repaired c. repairing d. repairs
d. to have paid
10. “What did you do in the garden?”
11. We must have an engineer ______ the workers build the house.
a. to see
12. Induction means ______ a general conclusion from special facts.
a. to come to
b. to coming
c. coming to
13. I’m not going to ask the teacher why he gave me that grade; I intend _______.
a. to let rest the matter c. letting the matter to rest
b. the matter to be let resting d. to let the matter rest
14. I have tried _______ worrying about it.
a. to stop consciously c. to conscious stopping
b. to consciously stop d. to stopping consciously
“Do you want to give a talk on that subject?” “I prefer ______ .” a. not want b. not wanting c. to not giving
d. not to
16. I _______ the truth of your remarks, although they go against my interests.
a. cannot but admit c. cannot but admitting
b. cannot help but to admit d. cannot help but admitting
17. Since she is angry, we ______.
a. had better leaving her alone c. might as well leave her alone a. to smoke…smoking c. to smoke…to smoke
b. should leave her alone d. had rather leave her alone
18. I don’t allow ______ in my office and I don’t allow my family ______ at all.
b. smoking…to smoke d. smoking…smoking
19. You should remember ______ from the point when you are writing a
composition. a. don’t wander
b. not to wander
c. no wandering
d. not wander
20. Grace advised us to withdraw ______.
a. so as to get not involved c. so that to get not involved
b. so as not to get involved d. as not to get involved
21. He ran all the way up to the station ______ that the train had left fifteen minutes
before. a. in order to find
b. so as to find
c. only to find
d. such as to find
22. George went hunting for a week but still he didn’t find a room ______.
a. to live
b. to live in
c. for living
d. to be living in
23. You should really avoid ______ at home alone as he is old and ill.
a. your father stay c. your father’s staying
b. your father to stay d. your father who stays
24. John didn’t want to risk ______ wet as he had only one suit.
b. to get
c. being got
d. to be gotten
25. I’m disappointed with the new officers elected in our club, but there is no point
_______ about it. a. to worry b. in worrying
c. with us worrying
d. if we worry
26. It won’t be any use ______ to borrow any more money.
a. you to try
b. of your trying
c. trying you
d. your trying
27. The law requires all cars _______ for safety and efficiency.
a. being tested regularly c. be regularly tested
b. to be regularly tested d. regularly tested
28. I remember ______ to the zoo by my father when I was little.
a. being taken
c. have been taken
d. to have taken
29. I completely forgot ______ the front door last night and feel fortunate that
nothing is stolen. a. locking b. being locked
c. to lock
d. to have locked
30. I regret ______ you that your application has been refused.
b. being informed
c. to be informed
d. to inform
31. I didn’t mean ______ anything, but these apples looked so good I couldn’t resist
______ one. a. to eat…trying c. eating…to try
b. to eat…o trying d. eating…to trying
32. I know it isn’t important but I can’t help ______ about it.
a. but to think
d. to think
33. The ship, ______ to a shapeless wreck, was hardly recognizable.
a. being reduced
d. having been reducing
34. The young doctor could not sleep at night, his thoughts ______ him no peace.
c. being given
d. to give
35. After a long walk on a hot day, one feels ______.
36. Those relatives of his are ______ . I don’t want to have any dealings with them.
a. boring people c. people having bored
b. bored people d. people having boring
37. You must follow the directions exactly and if you become ______, you must take
the time to go back again and reread them. a. to confuse b. confusing c. confuse
38. There is something wrong with my TV set, I must have it ______.
c. to check
39. He was just about to jump up when he felt something ______ near his feet.
a. to move
40. ______ with the corresponding period of last year, the output of chemical fibers
in the first quarter rose by 15%. a. Comparing b. To compare
41. “Was the rally successful?’
“No, because the number of ______ was smaller than we had expected.” a. people who attend b. attended people c. people attending d. attendance of people
42. Uncle Dick has already arrive. Do you expect ______ to see him?
c. to go
d. that you go
43. From the electric refrigerator Dick takes a carton of cream, another of fresh milk
and a can of ______ orange juice. a. frozen b. froze c. freezing
44. He felt bad for ______ a chance to study abroad.
a. having not given c. having not been given
b. not having given d. not having been given
45. In some countries there are already a number of firms ______ computer
programming. a. specialize in
b. specialized in
c. specializing in
d. specializes in
46. The young man who saw the car ______ into the river telephoned the police
station. a. plunge
c. was plunging
d. to plunge
47. While she was shopping, she kept ______ the list to make sure she hadn’t
forgotten anything. a. checked b. checking
48. You’d better ______.
c. to check
a. to have your shoes mended c. have your shoes mended
b. to have mended your shoes d. having your shoes mended
49. The machines are made ______ at full speed.
c. to work
d. to be worked
50. It is certain that men will never stop ______ new energy sources to power their
growing industry. a. finding b. to find
c. having found
51. It is really quite extraordinary that we should have been at the same college
without ______ before. a. met b. being met
c. having met
d. having been met
52. Professor Smith is said ______ another important discovery in chemistry.
a. having made
b. having been made
c. to have made
d. to make
53. Without the sun’s light ______ the earth’s surface, it would be so cold that life
could not exist on the earth. a. warms b. warmed
d. to warm
54. The rocket will weigh about 200 tons when ______.
a. being completed
d. have been completed
55. There are plans ______ a number of atomic power station in this regions.
a. to build
b. to be built
d. being built
56. All of us are looking forward to ______ a trip to the Ming Tombs.
c. to making
d. have made
57. I can’t understand ______ a decision until it is too late.
a. him to postpone to make c. him to postponing making
b. his postponing to make d. his postponing making
58. I would like ______ that I don’t have a very high opinion of you.
a. to have you know c. to have your known
b. have you know d. having you know
59. I had intended ______ him while he was living at Aberdeen.
c. to have visited
d. having visited
60. Do you consider better _______ ?
a. not doing it again c. not having done it again
61. The famous scientist was easy
b. not do it again d. not to do it again _______ along with. c. getting d. got
a. to get
b. for getting
62. The students will have more discussions like this in the weeks ______.
b. to come
d. to be coming
63. He felt lonely at first, but after a time he got ______ alone and even got ______
it. a. used to living…to like c. using to live…liking
b. used to live… to like d. to be used to living…liking
Our master raised his voice so that the could make himself ______ by the pupils in the back of the hall. a. hear b. heard c. hearing d. to be heard
65. When he awoke, he found himself ______ in the hospital and ______ by an old
woman. a. lying…being looked after c. lie…be looked after
b. lying…be looking after d. lie…being looked after
66. ______ from the hill-top the lake scenery is beyond description.
a. To see
d. Having seen
67. ______ in the strange forest, the poor girls fell to ______.
a. Lost…crying c. To lost…cry
b. Lost…cry d. Having been lost…crying
68. They’ll have you ______ if you don’t pay your taxes.
a. to be arrested
d. being arrested
69. All flights ______ because of the storm, they decided to take the train.
a. having cancelled
b. were cancelled
c. have been cancelled
d. having been cancelled
70. Although it was very late when John began doing the job, he managed with his
friend’s assistance, ______ before the building was locked. a. to be finished b. being finished c. finishing d. to finish
71. Despite the earnest efforts of various private groups as well as government
agencies, many of the problems have not yet been solved, and much remains to ______. a. have been done b. be done c. have done d. do
72. ______ that bad weather was on the way, the climbers decided to put off their
attempt on Eiger until the following week. a. Having told b. Being told c. Telling
d. Having been told
73. Members of the Government itself acknowledge many of their predictions
_______ wildly over-optimistic. a. to be b. being c. to have been
d. having been
74. The match was cancelled because most of the members ______ a match without a
standard court. a. objected to having c. were objected to have
b. objected to have d. were objected to having
75. The teacher doesn’t permit ______ in class.
c. to smoke
d. to have smoke
76. I like watching TV
a. more than to go c. than going
______ to the cinema. b. more than going d. rather than to go
77. The manager promised to keep me ______ of how our business was going on.
a. to be informed
c. on informing
78. Mrs. Brown is supposed ______ for Italy last week.
a. to have left
b. to leave
c. to be leaving
d. to have been left
79. Dorothy went to work quietly, ______ to work as hard as she could.
a. her mind being made up c. with her mind making up
b. with her mind made up d. he mind making up
80. Husband and wife with a common duty to the country will find themselves
______ closer together. a. been drawn b. drawn
c. to draw
81. Here we found little snow, as most of it seemed ______ blown off the mountain.
a. to have been
b. that it was
c. to be
d. that it had been
______ halfway through the exercise, the teacher changed his mind and collected all our papers.
a. When only being c. Being only
b. When we were only d. Having been
83. Some passengers are reading the morning paper, others are talking with one
another, ______ nervously for the train. a. to wait b. are waiting c. waiting
d. being waited
84. There’s one thing I dislike about him: he will never admit ______ a mistake.
a. having made
c. being made
d. have been made
85. Stan spent half a year ______ material for his new book.
a. to collect
86. It’s no use ______ me not to worry.
a. you tell
b. your telling
c. for you to have told
d. having told
87. The chairman insists that there be a meeting _______ within the shortest possible
time. a. to hold
b. to be held
c. to have been held
d. to be holding
88. When the famous pianist was a child, he was accustomed ______ for several
hours a day. a. to practicing
b. to practice
c. to be practicing
d. to have practiced.
89. In China hundreds of different dialects are spoken; people of some villages
______ themselves understood by the inhabitants of the next town. a. making trouble have b. have making trouble c. have trouble making d. trouble making have
90. It’s a wonderful place for anyone ______ in architecture, as you are.
b. to be interested
c. being interested
91. Another feature worth ______ is the role of information throughout a feedback
control system.. a. noticed b. noticing
c. being noticed
92. I believe ______ very largely due to mistaken views of the world.
a. this unhappiness are c. this be unhappiness
b. to be this unhappiness d. this unhappiness to be
93. When they met, Leonards and his enemy were fighting ______.
a. killed each other c. killing each other
b. to kill each other d. to be killed each other
94. Before the invention of aero-planes, ______ in the sky like a bird was only a
dream. a. men fly
b. to fly
c. for flying
d. man flies
95. At last they succeeded ______ the job.
a. to persuade him to take
b. in persuading him to take
c. to persuade him taking
d. in persuading him taking
96. All that it does is ______ the place of a house wife.
d. being taken
97. He listened to me ______ what Mr. Smith had said the day before.
a. to repeat
b. to be repeated
c. to repeating
98. He could do little except ______.
d. to write
99. The electric shaver ______ before it can be used.
a. needs repairing b. requires to repair c. should be in repair d. has to be repairable
100. ______ a problem requiring multiplication or division, the computer solves it by
adding or subtracting. a. Giving b. Having given
c. Being given
101. You can fly to London this evening ______ you don’t mind changing planes in
Paris. a. provided
d. so far as
102. Students from the south prefer _______.
a. eat rice than bread c. eating rice to eating bread
b. eating rice than bread d. eating rice to eat bread
103. Would you be ______ to help me with my luggage?
a. enough kind c. too kind
b. kind enough d. kind too
104. The father advise ______ the second-hand car.
a. his son to not buy c. his son’s no buying “Yes, ______.” a. I intend so
b. his son not to buy d. that his son not to buy
105. “Do you intend to come with us?”
b. I intend that
c. I intend to
d. I intend
106. It takes a whole year for the earth ______ round the sun once.
b. to travel
107. The factory ______ next year will be one of the largest in this city.
a. to build
b. to be built
c. being built
d. having been built
108. With the guide ______ the way, we set off on foot into the dark night.
d. to lead
109. They got the work ______ before the rainy season set in.
a. to do
110. Things are known ______ when they unite with the oxygen of the air.
b. to burn
d. being burning
111. He was thoroughly ashamed ______ so much money on such an ugly picture.
a. for spending c. to have spent
b. with spending d. of having spent
112. ______ of the burden of ice, the balloon climbed up and drifted to the South.
a. To be free
c. To free
113. The bank is reported in the local newspaper ______ in broad daylight yesterday.
a. to be robbed c. to have been robbed
b. robbed d. having been robbed
114. There seemed little hope that the explorer, ______ in the tropical forest, would
find his way through it. a. to be deserted c. to have been deserted
b. having deserted d. having been deserted
115. “Where should I send my application?”
“The Personnel Office is the place ______.” a. to sent it b. sent it to c. to send it to
d. for sending it
116. The publisher will send you a specimen copy of their new book ______.
a. when it will be requested c. when requested
117. Rome is the city ______.
b. when they are requested d. when request it b. I’d most like to visit d. I’d prefer most to visit
a. I rather most like to visit c. I’m rather to visit most
118. There ______ no further business, the meeting came to a stop.
d. had been
119. Please remind me ______ some eggs for the coming party.
b. to buy
c. of buying
d. for buying
120. Don’t say anything at the meeting unless ______.
c. being asked
d. to be asked
121. The radio announced that all flights ______ have been cancelled because of the
fog. a. go out
b. gone out
c. going out
d. will go out
122. What’s the use ______ extra leisure time if you don’t know what to do?
b. to have
c. being have
d. of knowing
123. ______ mathematical concepts of some students was very difficult because the
students did not have a math background.
c. Have explained
d. Having explained
124. Although John was the oldest in the family, he always let his sister _____ charge
of the house. a. to take b. taking
125. Commercial banks make most of their income from interest ______ on loans and
investment in stocks and bonds. a. earn b. earned c. to earn
d. was earned
126. Amelia Earhart, the first woman ______ a solo flight across the Atlantic Ocean,
was born in 1898. a. makes b. made
d. to make
127. It is impossible for the plan ______.
a. to put into practice b. not to put into practice c. to be put into practice d. to be not put into practice
128. ______ is what she wants to know.
a. Who to do it c. Who does it do
b. Whom to do it d. Whom doing it
129. My wife suggested ______ to Scotland for a holiday, but I favor ______ Wales
instead. a. to go…to visit c. to go…visiting
b. going …visiting d. going …to visit
130. There are several ______ leaves on the ground.
c. to fall