Unit3 The Million Pound Bank Note 1 学案一
Learning aims: 1. learn more about Mark Twain and his works 2. Deal with the Reading part 3. To improve students’ reading ability Step 1 重点短语扫描 1．
________accident/chance 偶然；无意中； 2．stare _______ 盯着看；凝视 3．account _______导致；做出解释 4．_______ rags 衣衫褴褛 5．_______ for/to 关于；至于 6．bring _______抚养；培养； 7．go _________ 前进；可以；往下说 8．on the _________ 与此相反 9．to be ____________ 说实话 10．take a ___________冒险 11．from the _________ of one’s heart 从心底 12．take one’s _____________点菜 Step 2 Reading 1. Fast reading Read the passage and then answer these questions. Task 1 阅读课本 17 页，找出以下信息 1) Time:____________________ 3) Characters: Henry Adams : an _______________________ lost in London Roderick and Oliver : two brothers and _________________________________ Englishmen Task 2 阅读课本 17 页，回答以下问题 1) How did Henry Adams come to England? 2) Where did Henry work before? How much money did he have? 3) What did the gentlemen give Henry? 4) When did Henry open the letter? Task 3 (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) Put the following events in correct order (把下面的事件按顺序排列) Henry wandered in London streets. About a month ago Henry Adams was sailing out of the bay. The next morning he was spotted by a ship. Towards nightfall he found himself carried out to sea by a strong wind. On the ship he earned his passage by working as an unpaid hand. 2) place:_______________________
2. Careful reading 1). Read the text again and fill in the form according to the text and see what an experience Henry has.
About a month ago Towards nightfall The next morning Later
Henry was Henry found himself
_ out of the bay; __ out to sea by a strong wind;
Henry was spotted by a ship; Henry earned his passage by working on the ship as an unpaid hand, which _ his _ ____ in London.
Now Just at that time To Henry’s surprise
Henry was lost in London and wandering in the street. Roderick __ ___ him and asked him to step in; __ with in it.
Roderick gave Henry a _
2) Read the passage again and choose the best answers. 1. What does “spot” mean in the text? A. discover B. a point C. a plane D. save
2. What happened to Mr Adams before he landed in London? A. He just sailed our of the bay for a trip C. His boat was broken out to sea by a strong wind D. His boat was carried out to sea by a strong wind. 3. Which of the following statements about Henry is not true? A. Henry comes from the UAS American C. He wants to find work in London embassy 4. What did Henry feel when he heard one of the bothers saying “what luck! Brother, what luck!”? A. He felt he was lucky, too. C. He was a bit angry and was ready to leave him. 5. What did Henry ask for the two brothers? A. A house to stay for a short time in it. C. An honest Job 6. Why did the two brothers give Henry an envelope ? D. Charity from the two brother B. A letter with a million pound bank note B. He was curious why they felt lucky D. He felt the two brothers would help D. He got some help from the American B. He worked for a mining company in B. He planned to go to Britain by boat
A. they wanted to play trick on Henry C. They made a bet on Henry son-in-law 3)Retell the story by filling the following passage.
B. They had a pity on Henry D. They wanted to make Henry their
Henry was an_________. One day he had an accident in a___. Luckily he was survived by a ship for_______. He arrived in London by earning his passage without pay. He was ___ in the street in____. To his surprise an _________ thing happened. Two rich brothers gave him a million pound bank-note because they had made a____. 3. Post reading Discussion What kind of persons you think Henry is ? Why do you think so? Find some words
or sentences to prove (1)Is Henry honest ? __________________________________________________________
(2) Is Henry hard-working? ______________________________________________________ (3)Is Henry frank? _____________________________________________________________
Unit 3 The Million Pound Bank Note 2 学案二
Learning aims: Let the students learn some useful new words and expressions. Important point and difficult point： Let students read and act the play. 【重点句型短语】 1. 基于…...之上________________ 3. a large sum of_______________ 5. as a matter of fact___________ 7. 凝视；盯着看_______________ 9. account for_______________ Step 1：Fast Reading Read through the text quickly and then complete the True or False questions. 1. The owner looked down upon Henry when he noticed Henry’s appearance. （ 2. Henry asked for more of the same food because he is an American who likes to eat a lot. （ ） ） ） 2. 抚养；教育；呕吐；提出 ___________ 4. go ahead _______________ 6. 偶然地；无意地___________ 8. give up____________ 10. 与……相反；正相反______________
3. When Henry saw the million pound bank-note, he was happy and proud of it. （
4. The owner didn’t believe that the bank-note was real and he asked Henry to get out of the restaurant. （ ） Step 2：Careful Reading Read the passage quickly and choose the best answer. 1. What’s the main idea of the passage? A. Henry lost the bank note restaurant C. Henry’s experience after he got he bank note earned 2. What food didn’t Henry order? A. Steak B. Pineapple dessert C. Ham and eggs D. Bread D. Henry spent his money that he B. Henry’s bank note was stolen in a
3. What did Henry find in the envelope? A. Nothing B. A photo C. A picture D. A million pound bank note
4. How did Henry feel when he found the million pound bank note in the envelope? A. Crazy B. Proud C . Surprised D. Worried
5. What can we learn from the waiter’s look and manner at first? A. He wanted to beat Henry C. He was patient to Henry Discussion 1. What can you learn from the text? 2. Is money everything? B. He thought Henry was a beggar D. He thought Henry couldn’t pay for the meal