be meant to do sth
目的就是要做……；注定要做……；天生就 是做……的料；应该做……；必须做……； 预计做……
Festivals are meant to celebrate important times of year.
Books are meant to
书就是让人读的。 He is not meant to be a doctor. 他不是当医生的料。 The flowers are meant for you.
那些鲜花是准备给你的。 This book is meant for three-year-old kids. 这本书是给三岁小孩用的。
We’re meant to take off our shoes when we enter the house. ……应该……
The money is meant to buy a car.
Breaking the vase was purely accidental; she did not mean to do it. 打碎花瓶纯粹是偶然失手；她无意弄坏它。
mean to do sth 打算做某事
Success means working hard.
mean doing sth 意味着做某事
Missing the plan means ___ for one more day, so I mean ___ up early tomorrow. A. to wait; getting B. waiting; getting C. waiting; to get D. to wait; to get
Don’t be so mean to your little sister.
1. Discuss when they take place, what they celebrate and what people do at that time. 讨论它们（中国节日）什么时间进 行，庆祝的是什么事件，和人们在那 天所做的事。
take place 发生；举行
① The performance didn’t take place after all. 演出终于没有进行。 ② Was there anybody passing by when the accident took place? 事故发生时，有人路过那里吗？
与 place 相关短语
in the first place （用于列举理由）首先，第一点 in the last place 最后
in place of
代替，用……而不用…… take one’s place 找某人接替某人的位置
Great changes ____ A in the rural areas in the last two decades. A. have taken place B. took place C. have been taken place D. are happening take place 不能用于被动语态中，句 中短语 in the last two decades 可确定 句子的时态为现在完成时。
Take place or Happen
happened The accident _____________ yesterday. The meeting _______________ at 8:00. took place Happen指“偶然或未能预见” take place 指“事先计划或预想到”
? In 1919, the May 4th movement __________________ in China. took place happened to rain that night. ? It _________ happened ? The traffic accident ___________ on Wednesday.
Come about: 偶然，常与how连用
How did it come about that you were caught by the police?
break out: 战争、灾难、疾病或争吵…
He celebrated his birthday with a party. 他举行宴会庆祝自己的生日。 We held a party to celebrate our success. 我们举行宴会庆祝我们的成功。 Because of the victory, we decided to hold a celebration. 因为成功，我们决定举行庆祝会。
She congratulated him on the birth of his son...
I congratulate you on your success of examination.
Celebrate+仪式、典礼、生日…… Congratulate+sb on sth/doing sth.
2. At that time people would starve if food was difficult to find, especially during the cold winter months. 在那个时代，如果食物难以找到，特
1) to cause a person or an animal to
suffer severely or die from hunger
Millions of people starved to death during the war. 战争中数百万人挨饿至死。
2) starve for sth; starve sb of sth: (cause sb. to) suffer or long for sth greatly needed or wanted (使某人) 得不到某事 物而受苦或渴望获得某事物；缺乏 The homeless children were starved for love. 这些无家可归的孩子渴望得到爱。
3) to feel very hungry 感觉很饿。仅用 于进行时态 When will dinner be ready? I’m starving. 晚饭什么时候做好？我快饿死了。
(U) suffering or death caused by lack
of food 挨饿；饿死
die of starvation 饿死
4. Halloween also had its origin in old
beliefs about the return of the spirits of dead people. 万圣节也源自人们古老的信念，认 为亡者的灵魂会返回人间。
origin (n.): the place or situation in which something begins to exist 起源；由来。 可用做可数名词或不可数名词，通常用 作复数形式。 The tradition has its origins in the Middle Ages.
He told me it was a word of unknown origin.
他告诉我这是个词源不详的词。 belief (n.): an idea that you believe to be true, especially one that forms part of a system of ideas 信任；信心；信仰。 注意： belief 通常用作不可数名词，当作可数名词
religious beliefs 宗教信仰 Several members hold very strong political beliefs. 有些成员有着强烈的政治理念。 5. It is now a children’s festival, when they can dress up and go to their neighbours’ homes to ask for sweets. 万圣节如今成了孩子们的节目，这天他 们可以乔装打扮上邻居家要糖吃。
dress up dress 作及物动词时, 不接 clothes 之类 的表示衣服的名词, 而是接表示人的句
Wake up children and dress them. 唤醒孩子, 给他们穿上衣服。 dress 的过去分词常用来构成 get dressed
与 be dressed 短语, 前者表示动态, 后者
表示静态, 穿何种衣服, 则用介词 in。如：
Harry up and get dressed. 快点穿上衣服。 The girl was dressed in red. 这个女孩穿着一身红衣服。 dress up 是“穿上最好的衣服”, 常指 “打扮, 化装”。如: You should dress up when you take part in the party.
She is _____ in red today and looks very beautiful. A. wearing B. having on C. dressing D. dressed
6. If the neighbours do not give any sweets, the children might play a trick on them.
play a trick on 【寓词于境】 仔细阅读下列句子，并 试着总结play a trick on的意思。 1. The boys hid John’s bike to play a trick on him.
2. Please do not play a trick on that poor boy. 3. People play tricks on each other in the office on April Fool’s Day. 【自我归纳】 play a trick / tricks on 意为“搞恶作剧，开玩笑 __________________”，on后面 多接表示人的名词或代词。
【联想】 ① play a part (in) 意为 扮演一个角色；参与；起 ……的作用 “ _________________________________”; ② play a joke / jokes on 意为 开（某人的）玩笑；戏弄 “ ________________________”。如： The teacher plays a very active part in this
type of classroom activity.
She wondered if the others were playing a
joke on her.
7. India has a national festival on
October 2 to honour Mohandas
Gandhi, the leader who helped gain
India’s independence from Britain.
[点拨] 此句中 Mohandas Gandhi 和
the leader 是同位语，the leader 指的
就是 Mohandas Gandhi 这个人。
又如: Yesterday I met Tom, a friend of my brother’s who is the top student in their class. 昨天我遇到了我弟弟的朋友汤姆, 他是他 们班最好的学生。 Mr. Smith, our new teacher, is very kind to us. 我们的新老师史密斯先生对我们很好。
8. Some people might win awards for their farm produce, like the biggest watermelon or the most handsome rooster. award n. 奖, 奖品
Dr. Yuan Longping has won many awards for his research.
award v. 判给, 授予
award sb. sth. 奖赏某人某物
The chairman awarded me the gold medal. = The chairman awarded the gold medal to me.
award 侧重指经过正式裁定而给予的荣 誉或在某项评比竞赛中获胜而得到的奖 赏。 reward 侧重指对某人所做的某件好事、 好的行为等的报答、酬谢。 prize 多指在竞赛中获胜或有特殊贡献时 所得的奖励。
2. It is the first time that she has B second prize in the been _____ English Speaking Competition.
9. …, when people admire the moon and in China, enjoy mooncakes. admire v. 赞赏; 钦佩; 羡慕; 赞美;夸奖
“admire sb. for sth.”
We all admire him for his courage
and bravery. 我们都钦佩他的勇气和胆识。
10. The most energetic and important
festivals are the ones that look forward to the end of winter and the coming of spring. look forward to look forward to (doing) sth. 意为期待 着(做)某事, 其中的to是介词, 而不是
Children are looking forward to Spring
He’s looking forward to hearing from
his pen pal. 他期待着笔友来信。
11. The country, covered with cherry tree flowers, looks as though it is covered with pink snow. as though 仿佛，好像 as though 和 as if 没有什么区别。as if 用得普遍些, as though却可引导方式 状语从句和表语从句, 其从句谓语常用
She acted as though nothing had happened. 她装得好像什么事也没发生过似的。 当从句主语和主句主语一致, 从句谓 语中又含有动词 to be 时, 可以把主语 和 to be 一起省去。
He looked about as though (he was)
in search of something.
It looks as if it’s going to rain.
as though 和 as if 从句用虚拟语气, 还是
The child talks as if she were an adult.
12. People love to get together to eat, drink and have fun with each other.
have fun with 玩得高兴，玩得开心
Now you can find your passion for exercise and have fun with your kids at the same time. 现在你可以在拥有锻炼的热情的同时 和孩子们享受快乐时光。
have fun 意为“过得快乐”。同义词 组为 have a good time, enjoy oneself。 短语有：have fun (in) doing sth. 快乐 地做某事。 I have no fun in spending the evening doing nothing.
I. 根据下列各句句意及所给单词的首字母 或汉语提示，写出所缺单词的正确形式。 1. Jack was beginning to enjoy the beauty b_____ of nature. 2. The professor is editing a dictionary that explains the o_____ origin of words. 3. During the festival Obon, Japanese show respect to their a________. ancestors
4. There were over 100 guests at our wedding f_____. feast 5. The X-ray showed that the _____ bone (骨头) was broken in two places. 6. A p_____ poet is a person who writes poems. 7. The charity provides blankets and clothing (衣服) for homeless children. _________
8. It’s the _______ custom (风俗) for the bride’s father to pay for the wedding in this place. religious (虔诚的) 9. My aunt is deeply _________ and goes to church twice a week. 10. The coach said that they needed more energetic (精力充沛的) players on their ________ basketball team.
II. 根据汉语提示，用课文中所学单词 或短语的适当形式完成下面短文。 takes place (发生) The festival ___________ between June 6 and 8 of each year in memory of (纪念) a famous hero in the ____________ history of the town. The hero helped the gain (赢得) independence. country to ______ looking forward to All people have been _________________ (盼望) it a few weeks before its coming.
When the festival actually comes, people dress up (盛装打扮) and _______ set off will _________ (出发) for the central square very early gather (集合) in in the morning, and _______ the square, singing and dancing. Many kinds of games are held too, and those who play well will ____________ be awarded (被授 予) a prize. One of the most popular games is to see who is able to run to a big tree within the shortest time.
admire (羡慕) the winners very People _______ much. However, they often play a trick / tricks on (开玩笑) them. ____________________ For example, they may take off the winners’ hats suddenly without telling them. There are also a lot of strange customs (风俗) during the festival. It ________ is clear that all of the people have a lot of fun (玩得很开心). _______________