人教课标版 高二 选修 8 Unit 4
1. There you are and you were born in Lisson Grove if I’m not mistaken. 你呀, 要是我没弄错的话, 你出生在森 格罗佛。 mistaken adj. 错误的，不正确的
>I assure you’re mistaken. 我确信你错了。 In that idea, you’re mistaken. 那样说来你错了。 The teacher has a mistaken opinion of this pupil. 老师对这个学生有不对的看法。
Bob has a mistaken idea that tomorrow is a holiday. 鲍勃想错了, 他说明天是假日。 A mistaken person should admit his error. 犯错的人应承认自己的错误。
mistaken about…对某事持错误的见解。 mistake为其名词形式或动词形式。 mistake … for… 把……错认为
1. I’m ___ about it. Please forgive me. A. curious B. worried C. particular D. mistaken 2. The twins are so alike that even their parents mistake one ___ another. A. by B. to C. for D. from
完成句子 1. You are ________ mistaken _____ about(错怪) him. He is telling the truth. 2. You were ________ mistaken __ in (错误的) believing him innocent.
句型转换 1. You are wrong in opinion about what he said. You are ________ mistaken _____ about what he said. 2. I took him for Mr. Smith when I met him on the street. I ________ mistaken him _____ about Mr. Smith when I met him on the street.
2. The English that will condemn her to the gutter to the end of her days. 那一口英语使她注定要在贫民窟里待 一辈子。 condemn vt. 谴责；使……注定 He condemned the proceedings in the strongest language. 他强烈谴责这种行为。
He was condemned to death. 他被判处死刑。 His bad leg condemned him to a wheelchair. 他的残腿使他坐上了轮椅。 归纳拓展 condemn谴责; 判刑, 宣告……有罪, 与to 连用; 迫使某人处于不利境地
1. The September 11 Attack has been ______ by the entire international community. A. condemned B. scolded C. criticized D. blamed
condemn 谴责|非难，判罪|宣告…有罪 scold 责骂，唠唠叨叨的责备 criticize 批评，批判 blame 责备，指责
2. The judge condemned the criminal ___ all his life in prison. A. to spend C. to spending B. spending D. spent
完成句子 1. The prisoner is sure to be ____________ condemned
2. When the poor woman was widowed,
she realized that she
________________ was condemned to (被迫) a lonely old age.
句型转换 1. He was sentenced to life imprisonment by the judge. He was condemned __________ __ to life imprisonment by the judge. 2. Lack of skills led him to live a poor life. Lack of skills __________ to live a condemned him __ poor life.
3. But they betrayed themselves every time they open their mouths. 他们一张开嘴就露了陷。 betray vt. 显露出（本来面目）；背叛 His best friend betrayed him. 他的最好的朋友背叛了他。 He betrayed his country to enemy. 他背叛了祖国, 向敌人投降。
I won’t betray his trust.
She would not betray his secrets to me.
His face betrayed that he was angry. 他的脸显露出他很生气。
betray +n./n.+ to 表示“出卖, 背
叛,辜负”; betray +n./n.+(to be)- that
形式为betrayal, 如an act of betrayal
1. He betrayed his friends _____ the enemy. A. to B. for C. with D. by 2. His accent at once betrayed the fact _____ he was a foreigner. A. which B. that C. / D. with that
1. The Bible tells of the betrayal _______ (背叛) of Christ by Judas. 2. He suffered death rather than _____ betray (泄露) the secret.
句型转换 1. What he said betrayed the fact that he was a liar. What he said betrayed him _________. to be a liar 2. He let out the secret to one of his friends. He betrayed _______ the secret __ to one of his friends.
4. And I came to England to make your acquaintance. 我来伦敦就是为了结识你。 acquaintance n.相识；了解；熟人 I have some acquaintance with French, but I do not know it well.
I still keep up acquaintance with him. 我仍然和他联系着。 I have a slight acquaintance with the language. 我懂一点这种语言。 He was my closest acquaintance. 他是我的老相识。 Where did you make his acquaintance? 你在哪里与他相识？
归纳拓展 acquaintance既可作不可数名词, 表“熟悉,认识”, 有时在其前可加不 定冠词, 表“某种程度的熟悉与了 解”, 与with 连用; 作可数名词, 表 “熟识的人”。
make one’s acquaintance=make the acquaintance of somebody 表示“结 识某人”; gain acquaintance with… 得以知悉; cut/drop one’s acquaintance with…与某人绝交; be acquainted with… 熟悉…
单项填空 1. He is not a ____, only a (an) ____.
A. friend; acquaintances B. acquaintance; friend C. friend; acquaintance D. acquaintances; friend
2. I have _____ slight acquaintance ____English. A. a; to C. /;with B. a; with D. /; to
完成句子 1. He is _________ more than (不仅仅) an
2. I had the pleasure of ____ your
______________________ husband’s acquaintance (与你丈 夫相识) in the States.
句型转换 1. I know a little English. Could you help
I have _______________________ a slight acquaintance with
English. Could you help me?
2. At first sight, he was very cool. ___ On
first acquaintance ___________, he was very cool.
5. Well, I never! A whole pound! A fortune! 啊, 我从没有! 一英镑!一笔财富! fortune n. 机会；运气；大笔的钱 By good fortune he was not hurt. 幸运的是, 他没受伤。 She had a good fortune to be free from illness all her life. 她一生很幸运, 没有得过病。
What will be our fortune? 我们的命运将是什么？ One day a good fortune befell him. 一天幸运降临到他的头上。 He received a large fortune when his father died.
small fortune 一大笔钱, make a fortune
发财, seek one’s fortune 外出找出路, try one’s fortune 碰运气。
fortunate adj. be fortunate to do
something; be fortunate in doing something. fortunately adv. unfortunately 不幸地
1. We are fortunate ______ having
sufficient supplies of fuel for the
2. Two middle-aged passengers fell into
the sea. _____, neither of them could
swim. A. In fact C. Unfortunately B. Luckily D. Naturally
3. His grandfather ___ a small fortune
by mining. A. tool C. got B. made D. caught
1. He _________________ came into a fortune (继承) when
his rich aunt died.
2. He went to Shenzhen to
______________. seek his fortune (找出路)
句型转换 1. He was lucky to be friends with a doctor. fortunate in having a He was ___________ doctor as his friend. 2. He earned a lot of money by writing novels. He _____________ made a fortune by writing novels.
6. superior adj. This hotel serves a superior grade of coffee. 这家旅馆提供高级咖啡。 His superior manner made people hate him. 他的高傲行为使人们都恨他。
This carpet is far superior to that
one in quality.
He is superior to bribery.
n. I’ll speak to your superior about this careless work. 我要找你老板谈谈这粗劣的工作。 As a violin player, he has few superior. 作为一人小提琴手, 他没有对手。
归纳拓展 superior作形容词时, 表示“高级的、 高傲的”, 构成be superior to “比…… 高明(强、好)”; 作名词时, 表示“上级、 地位较高的人、智力较强的人”; 相同 结构有: inferior to 低于……, senior to “比………年长(资深)”, junior to 比……年幼(资浅)。
单项填空 1. Many people think him superior ___ Tom as a teacher.
2. He had received an urgent order
from his _____. He immediately
carried it out. A. students C. servants B. colleagues D. superiors
完成句子 1. A schoolmaster is a teacher’s ________ superior (上级). 2. The student is __________ superior to his deskmate in quality.
句型转换 1. He is cleverer than any other student in the class. He is superior __________ to the other students in the class ___________. in cleverness
2. This is a new advanced car. So it is very expensive. This is a new superior _______ car. So it costs ____ you a lot of money.
7. Simply phonetics studied and classified from people’s own speech. 只是学了点语音学, 把人们的发音区 分一下而已。 classify vt. 编排，分类，归类 Such people should be classified as middle peasants. 这样的人应该被分类为中等农民。
In the post-office, mail is classified according to the places where it is to go. 在邮局, 邮件是按其邮往何方分类的。
She classifies as one of the greatest
actresses of our times.
归纳拓展 classify既可作及物动词, 也可作不及 物动词, 作及物动词时, 表示“分为……”, 常构成be classified into“被分成……”, be classified as“被分为……”; 作不及物 动词时, 表示“属于……类”。classified adj.表示“分类的, 机密的”; classification n. “分类、类”。
1. Students are ____ into grades, according to how much they know and how old they are. A. classified C. listed B. combined D. made
2. The information is _____. Only the
president can see it.
A. classifying B. classified
D. to classify
1. People who work in libraries spend a
lot of time classifying _________ (分类) books.
2. If you look in the ________ classified (分类的)
part of the telephone book you’ll find
plenty of hotels.
句型转换 1. He sorted out the books into five parts. He ________ intofive parts. classified the books ___ 2. He was regarded as the best player in the team. He ________ __ the best player in the classified as team.
1. The girl could pass herself off in three months as a duchess at an ambassador’s party. pass off...as.....冒充 那个女孩能够在三个月后由一位大使 举办的舞会上冒充一位女公爵。 She pass herself off as an American. 她冒充是美国人。
He passed his secretary off as his wife. 他把秘书冒充他的妻子。 Has your toothache passed off yet? 你 的牙疼还没消吗？ He passed off the difficult question. 他回避了那个难问题。 The party passed off well. 舞会进展顺利。
归纳拓展 pass off 有“逐渐消失, 过去; 不加理会, 回避, 掩饰; 进行(情况如何); 把……冒充 为”之意。作“冒充……”之意时, 后跟as。 由pass构成的短语有: pass through通过, pass by从旁边经过; pass out昏倒, 失去知 觉; pass... on to ...把……传递给。
1. The concert was successful. The concert _________ passed off well. 2. The headache passed off. The headache ___________________. disappeared gradually
1. On entering another country, a
tourist will have to pass ____ the Customs. through over B. by D. for C. A.
2. There was a thick mist, at first, but
it soon began to pass _____.
A. out B. down C. by
3. I was sorry to learn that his
mother had passed ______.
A. out B. away C. over D. on
2. Looking at the collected money in amazement. 吃惊地看着要来的钱。 in amazement惊讶地 The news struck me dumb with amazement. 这个消息使我目瞪口呆。
I stared at him in amazement. 我吃惊地盯着他。 I watched her in amazement. 我吃惊地看着她。
归纳拓展 in/with amazement “惊讶地”, 同义 词为 in amazement, in surprise。in在此 结构中表示“处于……状态”。amaze
vt. sb./sth. amaze sb.; amazing adj.;
amazement n. to one’s amazement“使某
类似结构有: in action在行动; in
advance事先; in anger气忿地; in
common共有, 共同; in danger; in debt;
in detail; in doubt; in excitement; in
tear; in general大体上; in operation生
效, 运转着; in place在适当的位置; in
reality实际上; in return作为报答;
in safety; in secret; in shape处于良好状 态; in short简言之; in sight被看见; in silence; in store 贮藏着; in thought 思考;
in trouble; in turn依次为; in vain白白地
特别提示 in amazement指“造成心理上的 混乱或恐慌”; in astonishment指 “因为不可解释的事而吃惊”; in surprise指“由于突然或出于意外而 吃惊”。
同义表达 1. The sad news amazed him very much. He was much ______________ amazed at the news. 2. Amazingly, she killed her husband. ___________ It is amazing that she killed her husband. _____________________, To our/their amazement she killed her husband.
1. Most of the foreign businessmen
are amazed ________ the great results we have achieved during the period of transition from planned economy to market economy. A. with B. to C. at D. for
2. I heard that a burglar broke into my room last night ____. I couldn’t
believe my ears.
A. in silence B. in peace
C. in amazement D. in excitement
3. Correct all these sentences in terms of
grammar, spelling, etc., so that she
can use them properly. 从语法、拼读方面改正这些句子, 好 让她使用恰当。 in terms of 就……来说, 从……角度
In terms of natural resources it is one of the poorest countries in Western Europe. 从自然资源来看, 它是西欧最穷的国家 之一。 In terms of money we’re quite rich, but not in terms of happiness. 金钱, 我富有; 幸福, 我缺乏。
Teachers think in terms of problems. 老师从问题的角度考虑。
What have you done in terms of fixing
in terms of 其同义词为: with regard
to, according to, in the light of, 在一般
come to terms 和解; come to terms
with 甘心忍受; be on good/bad terms
同义表达 1. In the light of what you said, I shall act in different way. According to what you said, I ____________ shall act in a different way. With regard to what you said, I _____________ shall take action differently.
__________ In terms of what you had told me, I shall act in a different way. 2. Please analyse it with terms of the principles discussed. Please analyse it ___________ according to the principles discussed.
1. You should deliver the goods as the
____ and conditions stipulated in
A. terms B. items
2. The work is not very profitable____
terms of cash, but I am getting
valuable experience from it.
4. It’ll be how to teach her grammar,
not just pronunciation. She’s in need of both. 是怎样教她语法, 而不仅仅是发音。 她两者都需要。 in need of 需要
He was hurt, and in need of help.
He was not in need of money.
He said he was in great need of my assistance. 他说他极需要我的帮助。
归纳拓展 in need of 需要……, 为介词短语, 后 跟名词或代词。其同义词为in want of, in need穷困。如: Most of the people are in great need. 英语中类似结构有: in charge of 负责; in search of 搜寻; in hope of 希望; in honor of 纪念、尊重; in favor of 有利于; in spite of 尽管; in case of 以防万一; in place of 代替。
1. The machine needed repairing.
The machine is _________ in need of repair. 2. What you need is exercise and faith. You are _________ in need of exercise and faith. You are _________ in want of exercise and faith.
高考链接 Many Chinese universities provide scholarships for students _____ financial aid. (天津2008) A. in favour of B. in honour of C. in face of D. in need of
根据题意“许多中国的大学为需要 经济帮助的学生提供奖学金”可知 需用in need of, 故选D。in favour of 支持, 赞成；in honour of为了 向……表示敬意，为纪念……； in face of面对……。
5. Show her in, Mrs Pearce. 皮斯太太, 领她进来。 show in 带或领……进来 He showed me into a bedroom. 他把我领进一间卧室。 He showed me out. 他把我领了出去。
show sb. in 领某人进来, 其反义词为:
show sb. out领某人出去。
show sb. around 领某人参观某地;
show off 炫耀;
show up出现, 来到某处; 揭露;显得好看
即时练习 1. He led me around the school and visited it for three hours. He showed ______ me ______ around the school for three hours.
2. She praised proudly her necklace in
public. She __________ showed off her necklace before ___ public. the
单项填空 1. Can you make a sentence to ____
the meaning of the phrase?
A. show off B. turn out
C. bring out
D. take in
2. It is unwise to _____ your greater
knowledge in front of the manager.
A. show in B. show out
C. show up night.
A. up B. off
D. show off
3. He didn’t show ___ in the party last C. over D. in
6. ...fades out as they go off stage together. 他们一块下舞台时……消失。 fade out(声音、画面)逐渐模糊、渐淡 When you turn on a transistor radio the sound comes on immediately; when you turn off, it fades out gradually. 打开半导体收音机时, 声音立刻响起； 关闭时, 声音慢慢消失。
The sound of the cheering faded away in the distance. 加油声在远方慢慢消失。 As evening came the coastline faded into darkness. 夜幕降临时, 海岸线消失在黑暗之中。
归纳拓展 fade out指声音的减弱; fade away 主要指自然界、记忆力的渐渐消失; 表声音的渐渐消失时, fade out, fade away, die away可通用
1. His voice became weaker and
weaker, and finally died away.
His voice __________. faded away His voice ________. faded out 2. The sound of the footsteps faded away.
The sound of the footsteps _________. died away
The sound of the footsteps _________. faded out
单项填空 1. Hopes of finding the missing climbers are now beginning to _____. A. fade B. reduce C. dim D. faint 2. When day dawned, stars ___ from the sky. A. kept away B. faded out C. faded into D. died out