江苏宿迁市泗阳中学 2012-2013 学年度高二年级第一学期期中考试
第一节(共5 小题;每小题1 分,满分5
分) 听下面5 段对话。每段对话后有一个小题,从题中所给的A、B、C 三个选项中选出最佳 选项,并标在试卷的相应位置。听完每段对话后,你都有10秒钟的时间来回答有关小题和阅读 下一小题。每段对话仅读一遍。
例：How much is the shirt? A. ￡19.15 B. ￡.9.15 答案是 B.
1. Where most probably are the speakers? A. At a cinema. A. Catch a later flight. B. Ask the hotel clerk for help. C. Put the telephone near the bed. 3. What does the man think of Andy? A. He is a nice guy. A. Friends. A. The man‘s trip to Paris. B. The man‘s hometown. C. The man‘s favorite place. 第二节 (共15 小题;每小题1 分,满分15 分) B. He is ill-tempered. B. Husband and wife. B. At a museum.
C . ￡9.18
C. At a concert hall.
2. What does the woman suggest the man do?
C. He never smiles. C. Brother and sister.
4. What is the relationship between Tony and Tina? 5. What are the speakers mainly talking about?
听下面 5 段对话或独白。每段对话或独白后有几个小题，从题中所给的 A、B、C 三个 选项中选出最佳选项，并标在试卷的相应位置。听每段对话或独白前，你将有时间阅读各小 题,每小题 5 秒钟；听完后,各小题将给出 5 秒钟的作答时间。每段对话或独白读两遍。 听第 6 段材料，回答第 6、7 题。 6. What are the man‘s parents? A. Sales people. A. Drinks. B. Restaurant owners. B. Meals. C. Supermarket owners. C. Clothes. 7. What did the man offer to the students? 听第 7 段材料，回答第 8 至 10 题。 8. When does the conversation take place? A. In the morning. 9. What is the boy doing? A. Watching TV. B. Listening to music. C. Watching the video. B. In the afternoon. C. In the evening.
10. Why is the woman tired in the daytime? A. She can‘t sleep well at night. B. She has too much work to do. C. She worries about the boy.
听第 8 段材料，回答第 11 至 13 题。 A. Play games. A. Red. A. In cash. 14. What is the man‘s problem? A. His hair is gone.
11. What does the woman want to do with the mobile phone? B. Make phone calls.
C. Access Internet. C. Blue.
12. What color mobile phone does the woman buy? B. Pink.
13. How does the woman pay for the mobile phone? B. By check.
C. By credit card.
听第 9 段材料，回答第 14 至 17 题。
B. He hasn‘t slept for days.
C. His headache is getting worse. A. Over 10 hours. A. Too much exercise. 17. What should the man do? A. Eat less food.
15. How many hours a day does the man work now? 16. What may cause the man‘s problem?
B. About 9 hours.
C. About 8 hours.
B. Too much coffee. B. Do some exercises.
C. Too much work. C. Stop working.
听第 10 段材料，回答第 18 至 20 题。 A. In the bookshop. A. Go-online. 20. What class is on Tuesday? A. Maths.
18. Where can the listeners buy Beginning English? 19. What can the listeners do during the break?
B. In the classroom.
C. In the main office.
B. Walk around. B. Typing.
C. Eat in the classroom. C. English.
第二部分: 英语知识运用(共两节, 满分35 分)
第一节: 单项填空 (共15小题; 每小题1分,满分15分) 请认真阅读下面各题, 从题中所给的A、B、C、D 四个选项中, 选出最佳选项, 并在答题卡 上将该项涂黑。 21.It was less tiring running on the way back because we had the wind in our _________. A. judgment the mountain. A. use up B. clean up C. clear up D. turn up B. favor C. credit D. profit 22.Don‘t climb so fast, or you might _________all your strength before you climb up to the top of
23.If you want to stay awake in completing the many tasks in your busy work ,you can_________ many caffeine (咖啡因)drinks . A. fuel solution to the problem. A. push ahead with B. keep pace with C. end up with D. come up with 25.I sent him an e-mail,trying to get the______ information about the former NBA player McGrady‘s playing in China's CBA. A. absurd A. what ; that B. academic B. which ; that C .accurate C. that ; which D. awkward D. that ; what 26.There is an old saying ______hope is ______keeps life going. 27.Despite of my love of Blackberry and my laptop computer, I know that there are times_____I need to move away from these devices(设备) and truly communicate with others. A. when B. where C. which D. that 28. —Have you been successful in finding a solution to this problem? —Not yet, but ____on this invention for over a year, I am confident that I will find a solution. A. working B. having worked C. to work D. work 29. The policy, _____ to ease holiday road congestion(拥堵), brought more cars to the roads than ever before, causing severe traffic jam. A. introduced me. A. unless A. Being examined B. even though B. Examined C. as C. To examine D. in case D. Having examined 31. _______ twice a year is the rule that every driver shall obey in this city. 32. Scientific research shows although we produce carbon when we breathe, the carbon we produce is much less than____ produced by a car. A. those B.that C. this D. it 33. —How was your visit to the museum yesterday? — Never______ such beautiful works of art. A. I have seen —_____ I don‘t? A. So what A. To use B. What for B. Use C. What if C. Used D. What‘s up D. Using 35.This kind of washing powder is of high quality. ______it once ,you will love it for a lifetime. 第二节: 完形填空(共20 小题; 每小题1 分, 满分20 分) 请认真阅读下面短文, 从短文后各题所给的A、 C、 四个选项中, 选出最佳选项, 并 B、 D 在答题卡上将该项涂黑。 There was a time when I thought my dad didn‘t know a thing about being a good father. I couldn‘t 36 him ever saying the words ―I love you.‖ It seemed to me his only purpose in life was to say ― 37 ‖ to anywhere I wanted to go and anything I wanted to do, including getting a 38 . Some parents bought their kids cars when they got their driver‘s licenses. Not my dad —
24.The present situation is very complex , so people concerned are trying to _____a possible
C. having introduced
D. to introduce
30. I usually do the washing up and leave the cooking to my wife, ______ she‘s a better cook than
B. have I seen
C. had I seen
D. I had seen
34. —You must follow his advice and do as he tells you to.
he said that I‘d have to get a job and buy my own. So that was what I did. I got a job at a very nice restaurant and and 40 39 every penny I could I had enough to buy my car, I did! The day I brought that car home, my dad was the
first one I wanted to 41 to. ―Look, dad, a car of my own. If you ever want a ride, I‘ll only 42 you five dollars.‖ I offered with a smile. ―I see,‖ was all he said. One day, there was something wrong with my father‘s truck. So he needed a going to be a(n) 45 day. As I dropped my dad off, I from a distance I could tell there were 43 to work. The sun wasn‘t even up when we left the house , 44 it was already getting warm out. It was 46 him, dressed in his work clothes, getting his 47 from the truck (车尾箱) of my car. Watching his sun-weathered face, and even 48 lines than I ever remembered being there before. I realized how hard my dad worked for the family. My father was a cement finisher(水泥修整工). In that instant, it 49 to me that he actually got down on his hands and knees to sweat over hot concrete to make a living for his family. And he did this day in and day out, Never, not once, had I heard him 51 he ―charge‖ us for it. When he closed the trunk, his tools set off to the side, he walked over to my window to 52 me five dollars. I rolled down the window and said ―Good-bye, dad. Keep your five 54 met mine, then glanced away D. care D. Well D. car D. kept D. though D. pay it back D. provide D. hurry D. since D. special D. left D. bag D. thinner D. appeared D. whenever D. speak D. hand D. reply D. smile D. cleared dollars. It‘s my 53 . Don‘t work too hard. I love you.‖ His 36. A. like 37. A. Sorry 38. A. present 39. A. spent 40. A. if 41. A. show it off 42. A. pay 43. A. leave 44. A. as 45. A. hot 46. A. helped 47. A. luggage 48. A. more 49. A. happened 50. A. whatever 51. A. talk 52. A. take 53. A. help 54. A. hands 55. A. cleaned B. forget B. No B. friend B. earned B. when B. hand it over B. offer B. ride B. but B. ordinary B. followed B. clothes B. fewer B. occurred B. however B. ask B. pass B. treat B. eyes B. wiped C. remember C. Yes C. job C. saved C. because C. turn it up C. charge C. trip C. although C. work C. watched C. tools C. longer C. seemed. C. wherever C. complain C. lend C. advice C. voice C. felt 50 hot it got. about it. To him we were ―worth‖ it. And never once did
in the direction of his waiting tools, he 55 his throat and said, ―Oh, and… me, too.‖
第三部分: 阅读理解(共15 小题; 每小题2 分, 满分30 分)
请认真阅读下列短文, 从短文后各题所给的A、 C、 四个选项中, 选出最佳选项, 并 B、 D 在答题卡上将该项涂黑。 A Frank Woolworth was born in Rodman, New York, in 1852. His family were very poor farmers, and there was never enough to eat. Frank decided he did not want to be a farmer. He took a short business course, and went to work as a salesman in a large city. Woolworth realized he had a natural skill for showing goods to attract people‘s interest, but he soon learned something more important. One day his boss told him to sell some odds and ends (小商品) for as much as he could get. Frank put all these things on one table with a sign which said FIVE CENTS EACH. People fought and pushed to buy the things and the table was soon cleared. Soon afterwards, Woolworth opened his own store, selling goods at five and ten cents. But he had another lesson to learn before he became successful. That is, if you want to make money by selling low-price goods, you have to buy them in large quantities directly from the factories. Once, for example, Woolworth went to Germany and placed an order for knives. The order was so large that the factory had to keep running 24 hours a day for a whole year. In this way, the price of the knives was cut down by half. By 1919, Woolworth had over 1000 stores in the US and Canada, and opened his first store in London. He made many millions and his name became famous throughout the world. He always run his business according to strict rules, of which the most important was: ― THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT‖. 56. Frank took a short business course in order to _________. A. learn something from a salesman C. earn more money for his family B. get away from the farm D. get enough to eat.
57. The price of the knives was cut down by half because ________. A. the factory workers worked 24 hours a day. B. the knives were made in Germany, where labour (劳动力) was cheap. C. the knives were produced in one factory. D. knives were ordered in large quantities directly from the factory. 58. ________ make Woolworth a world-famous man. A. The low price of the goods he sold B. His business skills and his wealth
C. His trip to Germany and his huge order of knives D. His natural skill for showing things 59. The belief that ― The customer is always right‖ suggests that ________. A. stores should do their best to meet the customer‘s needs if they want to be successful. B. whenever there is a quarrel between the customer and shop assistant, the customers are always right. C. If you want to succeed, the rule is the only way. D. stores must always follow the customer‘s orders if they want to make more money. B Name: Off the Beaten Path Cover price: $30.00 Our price: $l9.80 The best-selling Reader‘s Digest travel book has 40% new content including over 200 new sites, over 200 new full-color photographs, and all-new, up-to-date maps. It focuses attention on over l, 000 of the United States‘ most overlooked（俯瞰的） must-see destinations. Name: Container Gardens by Number Cover price: $l5.95 Our price: $9.49 A unique book contains 50 easy-to-follow container designs. Each design provides a simple numbered planting plan that shows exactly how to create each display, with an instruction of the finished planter and in-depth (深入的) plant information. The plans are easy to follow and for any type of living space or garden. Name: Best Weekend Projects Cover price: $l7.95 Our price: $l3.96 Choose from 80 unique ideas to create an extraordinary （非凡的） living space. The projects are practical, as well as attractive, and will improve your home and yard and can be made in a weekend. These 80 well-designed projects are presented in a clear, easy-to-follow style that addresses readers in an accessible, user-friendly tone. Name: l80l Home Remedies（治疗法） Cover price: $40.00 Our price: $29.96 Plenty of health complaints can be handled at home. Each and every remedy will be tested by a doctor to make sure it is safe and sound.
Dozens of conditions are covered, from headaches, sunburn, bad breath, and blisters (水泡) to allergies (过敏), and hiccups (打嗝). 60. You can most probably read the passage in a ________. A. travel guide B. reference book C. newspaper D. textbook
61. Which of the following could help you to improve your home environment? A. Off the Beaten Path & l80l Home Remedies. B. l80l Home Remedies & Container Gardens by Number. C. Best Weekend Projects & Off the Beaten Path. D. Container Gardens by Number & Best Weekend Projects. 62. What‘s the purpose of the passage? A. To share his opinion about the books with readers. B. To advise readers to buy these books. C. To advise readers to read more in spare time. D. To share the pleasure of reading with readers. C Phys ed (physical education) is making a comeback(恢复)as a part of the school core curriculum(核心课程)， but with a difference. While group sports are still part of the curriculum, the new way is to teach skills that are useful beyond gym class. Instead of learning how to climb a rope, children are taught to lift weights, balance their diets and build physical endurance(忍耐力). In this way， kids are given the tools and skills and experiences so they can lead a physically active life the rest of their life. Considering that 15 percent of American children 6 to 18 are overweight, supporters say more money and thought must be put into phys ed curriculum. In many cases, that may mean not just replacing the old gym-class model with fitness programs but also starting up phys ed programs because school boards often "put P.E. on the chopping block(砧板), cutting it entirely or decreasing its teachers or the days it is offered," says Alicia Moag-Stahlberg, the executive director of Action for Health Kids. The difference in phys ed programs is partly due to the lack of a national standard. "Physical education needs to be part of the core curriculum," she added. The wisdom of the new approach has some scientific support. Researchers at the University of Wisconsin have showed how effective the fit-for-life model of gym class can be. They observed how 50 overweight children lost more weight when they cycled and skied cross-country (越 野)than when they played sports. The researchers also found that teaching sports like football resulted in less overall movement, partly because some reluctant(勉强的)students were able to sit on the bench.
Another problem with simply teaching group sports in gym class is that only a small percentage of students continue playing them after graduating from high school. The new method teaches skills that translate to adulthood. 63.According to the passage, what is usually taught in the old gym class? A. Lift weights B. Cycle C. Climb a rope D. Have a balanced diet
64. What does Alicia Moag-Stahlberg mean by saying ―some school boards put P. E. on the chopping block‖? A. Schools welcome P. E. but do not have time for it. B. Schools put P.E. in the first place. C. Schools do not pay enough attention to P. E.. D. Schools cut down other subjects‘ time for P.E.. 65. Which is NOT the reason to carry out phys ed programs according to the passage? A. More American teenagers are overweight. B. Traditional group sports teaching is not effective. C. Students need to learn some skills to help them lead a physically active life. D. Phys ed programs need less money to support. 66. What‘s the difference between the come-back phys ed and the ordinary gym-class model？ A. The Phys ed teaches group sports. B. The Phys ed provides more fitness programs. C. The Phys ed teaches tools and skills which could be used in the future life. D. The Phys ed has more support from the government. D Recently, we were given the opportunity to review a book written by a young author. When we received it, I noted how beautifully done it was. While often the case---we see beautifully written and illustrated books all the time---but how often do they come from a 10-year-old? Sewing a Friendship, written by a creative and talented young girl named Natalie Tinti, is such a book. Developing friendships is an area that Natalie Tinti has researched in her own life. In her book, Sewing a Friendship, she tells what great things can happen if kids take a step toward friendship. Tinti‘s characters in Sewing a Friendship have colorful and creative personalities. Jonsy Jipsy loves singing and belly dance. Sokron Blossom lives in a neat and tidy world and loves to read
fashion magazines. Meeka likes brain games and Nina is happy with her life and the music it brings her. All but one of the characters seems happy with their lives. One of the girls, Kiki Shaver, was sad to live in a small home with her aunt and uncle. She had no friend and didn‘t know how to make them. When four girls invites her into the circle of their friendship, it‘s no wonder that Kiki is hesitant and uneasy. The story continues as the four girls invite and accept a ― not so likeable‖ girl into their circle to win a fashion show. The girls feel a strong bond of friendship after the show. Kiki then understands that taking a step towards friendship is better than being alone. All the girls learn that by having the courage to include others, you can ― sew a friendship‖. Today, it seems that almost every news headline begins with a child‘s suicide---or murder---because of being bullied(欺侮)， not having friends or family to discuss issues with and feelings of low self –respect. What‘s causing these senseless terrible events? If more kids would invite the outcasts 被驱逐者） into their circle of friends, lives would be saved as well as pointed （ in another direction. Natalie Tinti finds her voice in Sewing a Friendship ---and shows a talent that‘s rare for such a young girl. Recommended reading for all young adult fans. 67.The first paragraph serves as a(n) ______. A. introduction B. explanation C. summary D. background
68. The author seems to agree that ______. A. bullying is the main cause of children‘s suicides B. friendship has the power to prevent sad events C. we should not respect too much from friendship D. one should not forget his old circle of friends 69.Which of the following words can best describe the ending of the story? A. Disappointing B. Satisfying C. Uncertain D. Unexpected
70.The general tone(基调) of the passage is one of ______. A. concern B. delight C. complaint D. praise
第四部分: 任务型阅读(共 10 小题;每小题 1 分,满分 10 分)
请认真阅读下列短文，并根据所读内容在文章后表格中的空格里填入一个最恰当的单 词。注意：每个空格只填 1 个单词。请将答案写在答题卡上相应题号的横线上。 Cloud-to-ground lightning bolts(闪电) are a common phenomenon—about 100 strike the Earth‘s surface every single second—yet their power is extraordinary. Each bolt can contain up to
one billion volts (伏特)of electricity. This enormous electrical discharge is caused by an imbalance between positive and negative charges（电荷）. During a storm, rain, ice, or snow increase this imbalance and often negatively charge the lower parts of storm clouds. Objects on the ground, like trees, and the Earth itself, become positively charged—creating an imbalance that nature seeks to correct by passing current(电流) between the two charges. A step-like series of negative charges, called a stepped leader, works its way downward from the bottom of a storm cloud toward the Earth. Each of these ?steps‖ is about 150 feet (46 meters) long. When the lowest step comes within 150 feet (46 meters) of a positively charged object, it is met by a climbing surge（激增） of positive electricity, called a streamer, which can rise up through a building, a tree, or even a person. The process forms a channel through which electricity is transferred to lightning. Some types of lightning, including the most common types, never leave the clouds but travel between differently charged areas within or between clouds. Other rare forms can cause extreme forest fires, volcanic eruptions, and snowstorms. Lightning is extremely hot—a flash can heat the air around it to temperatures five times hotter than the sun‘s surface. This heat causes surrounding air to rapidly expand and move, which creates the thunder we hear a short time after seeing a lightning flash. Lightning is not only spectacular; it‘s dangerous. About 2,000 people are killed worldwide by lightning each year. Hundreds more survive strikes but suffer from a variety of lasting symptoms, including memory loss, dizziness, weakness, numbness, and other life-altering illnesses Lightning can strike as far as 10 miles from the area where it is raining. That‘s about the distance you can hear thunder. If you can hear thunder, you are within striking distance. Seek safe shelter(藏身处) immediately. Most lighting deaths and injuries occur in the summer. Where organized outdoor sports activities take place, leaders of outdoor events must stop the activities at the first roar of thunder to ensure everyone has time to get to a large building or enclosed vehicle. Once inside buildings, stay off phones, computers and other electrical equipment that put you in direct contact with electricity. Wait 30 minutes after the last clap of thunder, before going outside again. Lighting is dangerous. With common sense, you can greatly increase your safety and the safety of those you are with.
●Cloud-to-ground lighting strikes the Earth‘s surface 100 times per second and it is (71) ? . ●During a storm, the lower parts of storm clouds contain (73) ? charges, while the objects on the ground become positively charged. ●In order to keep the (74) ? , current is passed between the two charges. ●A stepped leader is formed in the bottom of a storm. ●When the lowest step reaches 150 feet above a positively charged object, it meets a streamer, (75) ? a channel where electricity is transferred to lighting. ●Some lighting can set forests on fire and (76) ? to volcanic eruptions and snowstorms. ●Lighting endangers human life and those who have survived from strikes suffer from (77) ? long lasting symptoms. ●Seek shelter as soon as you hear thunder. ●(78) ? of outdoor activities have a duty to stop the activities the moment thunder roars to ensure everyone has time to get to a large building or enclosed vehicles. ●(79) ? away from the equipment that can make you have direct contact with electricity. ●Don‘t go out (80) ? 30 minutes after the last clap of thunder.
第五部分: 书面表达(满分25 分)
你的朋友李华写信给你说在过去的两个月里取得了一些进步但有时还会不开心。 请用英语给 他写一封回信谈谈如何快乐地生活。 要点如下： 1. 有时不快乐的根源是忽视自己的进步太担心失败，因此要看清自己，了解奋斗目标。 2. 与父母，老师交流自己的忧虑，征求意见，改善心情。 以下两点自拟 3. ……. 4. …… 注意：1．对所给要点逐一陈述，适当发挥，不要简单翻译。 2．词数 150 左右。开头已经写好，不计入总词数。 3．作文中不得提及考生所在学校和本人姓名。 Dear Lihua I’m writing in response to your letter. From your letter I know in the past two months , _______________________________________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________________________________ May you be happy for ever. Yours Zhenzhen
泗阳中学 2012-2013 学年度高二年级第一学期期中考试
1-5 CBABC 6-10 ABCBA 11-15 BCACA 16-20 CBCBA
第二部分: 英语知识运用(共两节, 满分35 分)
第一节: 单项填空 (共15小题; 每小题1分,满分15分) 21-25 BADDC 26-30 DABAC 31-35 ABCCD 第二节: 完形填空(共20 小题; 每小题1 分, 满分20 分) 36-40 CBDCB 41-45 ACBBA 46-50 CCABB 56-60 BDBAC 61-65 DBCCD 51-55 CDBBD
第三部分: 阅读理解(共15 小题; 每小题2 分, 满分30 分)
第四部分: 任务型阅读(共10 小题;每小题1 分,满分10 分)
71. powerful 72. Causes 73. negative 74. balance 75. forming/ creating/ producing/ making 76. lead / contribute 77. different / various/ varied 78. Leaders/ Organizers 79. Stay/ Keep 80. until/ within
Dear Lihua I‘m writing in response to your letter. From your letter I know in the past two months , you have been making progress, but sometimes you are still in low spirits . Here I‘d like to share my ideas about how to live happily. First, the source of unhappiness is that we ignore our progress and worry about failure too much. So we‘d better know who we are and what to do about the future. This may cheer us up and encourage us to work even harder. Second, we can communicate with our parents and teachers about our worries and concerns and they are sure to give us advice and keep us company through such hard times, which will make us relaxed and delighted again. Also, we have classmates dreaming the same dream as us and sharing our happiness and sorrow. Getting along well with them can create a pleasant atmosphere where we can enjoy pleasant school years. Last but not least, a saying goes that laughter is the best medicine. Face the challenges with a wide smile! May you be happy for ever. Yours Zhenzhen (160 words)
1.本题总分为 25 分，按 5 个档次给分。 评分时，可先根据文章的
内容和语言初步确定其所属档次，然后以该档次的要求来衡量， 确定 或调整档次，最后给分。 2.少于 130 词或多于 170 词的，从总分中酌情减去 1 一 2 分。 3. 评分时，应注意的主要内容为：内容要点、运用词汇和语法结构 的数量和准确性、上下文的连 贯性及语言的得体性。 4. 拼写和标点符号是语言准确性的一个方面，评分时，应视其对交 际的影响程度予以考虑。英美 拼写及词汇用法均可接受。 5. 如字迹难以辨认，以致影响交际，将分数降低一个档次。
附：听力文稿 听力原文 第一节
Ks5u Ks5u Ks5u
W: The violin sounds terrible.
M: I wish I could ask for my money back. This performance is really a bad one. （Text 2）
M: I hope I don‘t over-sleep. I have got to catch the first flight.
W: If I were you, I‘d request the waiter to call from the front desk. （Text 3）
W: I hear Amy is an expert at computers. I‘d like to ask him for some advice, but he looks so serious and unfriendly.
M: Don‘t be scared of his appearance. He‘s actually very humorous, and he likes to help out. （Text 4）
W: Did you go to Tony and Tina‘s wedding on the weekend? M: Yes, I did. It was a really nice wedding. W: Are they on their honeymoon now?
M: Yes, they went to Italy the day after their wedding. （Text 5）
W: You‘ve traveled around the world, haven‘t you?
M: Yes. But my favorite place is Bali. I had an unforgettable time there. The scenery was beautiful, the beaches were great, and the people were friendly. W: Sounds like paradise.
Ks5u Ks5u Ks5u
W: Were you always interested in starting a food business?
M: Actually, I was interested in sales at first because that‘s what both my parents do. But I used to work part-time in a café when I was a kid, and that‘s what got me interested. W: What was the first place you opened? M: I rented a cheap place near the university, and I started selling lunches to the students. The place was always crowded at lunchtimes. So, one day I sold it. With that money, I opened a much bigger place downtown.
（Text 7） W: May I come in, David? M: Ok, Mum. What‘s up? W: Well, I know you love music, but you‘ve turned up the radio too loud. I‘m sorry to have to say this, but I can‘t stand such loud noise. M: I‘m sorry, Mum. I didn‘t know I was troubling you. W: You see, it‘s quite difficult to fall asleep with such loud music every night. It leaves me tired out during the day. M: Well, I‘ll turn it down right now. W: Thanks. I do hate to complain, but it has really made me tired these days. M: I‘m really sorry. I won‘t do that again. W: Ok. Now you should go to bed, too.
（Text 8） M: Can I help you?
W: Yes, I‘m looking for a mobile phone. M: What sort of mobile phone are you looking for, madam? Do you want to access the Internet, send text messages or play games? W: No. I just want to make telephone calls. M: How about this basic model? It‘s very easy to use. W: Yes. What colours have you got? M: Well, we have this rather nice red one. W: Red doesn‘t suit me. I wear a lot of pink. M: Well, we haven‘t got pink but we have this one in blue. Does blue suit you? W: Yes, I like blue. I‘ll take it. M: Ok. That‘ll be 60 pounds. How would you like to pay, madam? By check or by credit card? W: In cash. Here you are.
（Text 9） W: How can I help you, Mr. Martin? M: Well, I started having a bad headache weeks ago and it‘s getting worse. I can‘t sleep well. I‘m tired all the time, and the worst thing is my hair is getting very grey and I‘m only 30. W: I see. Well, do you smoke? M: No. I gave it up a month ago. W: Right. I see you‘re a businessman. How many hours a day do you usually work? M: Well, I usually work eight hours a day, but at the moment I work at least ten hours. W: That‘s a lot. And how do you relax? M: Well, I usually sit in front of the TV with a pizza and a coffee. W: Hmm. Do you do any exercise at the moment? M: Not really, but I‘m losing a lot of weight and I don‘t know why. W: Don‘t worry. I think it‘s just too much work. I want you to eat more vegetables and do some exercises. Come back and see me in four weeks.
W: Hello, everybody. Here‘s an announcement about our class. We‘re going to use the book Beginning English in this class. You need to buy this book. Beginning English is $ 20. You can buy it any day this week in the main office. Class is from 9:00 to 12:00. We have a 15-minute break at 10:30. The break is from 10:30 to 10:45. You can sit in class, or walk around, or go to the cafeteria. But please be back in class on time. English class is on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings. Maths is on Tuesday mornings and typing is on Thursday mornings. They are both from 9:00 to 11:00. If you want to register for maths or typing, go to the main office. If you are absent, call the main office. Give your name and say you are in English 1. Tell the secretary that you cannot come to class.