? Cultivators of the earth are the most valuable citizens.
Crops Sow Plough Irrigating Weather Climate Weed Transplant fertile fe
select the seeds
plough the soil turn over the soil
sow the seeds
remove the weeds
winnowing (扬 谷)
1. Read the statistics and look at the
picture. What problems do they reflect?
The world produces enough food for everyone.
More than 800 million people go to bed
hungry every day. - the World Health Organization (WHO) One billion people in the world suffer from hunger and malnutrition.
About 24,000 people die every day from
hunger or hunger-related causes. Threefourths of the deaths are children under the age of five. -http://www.thehungersite.com
What problems do they reflect?
? Hunger is one of the most serious problems the world is faced with today. ? The imbalance of development ? Serious waste of food ? …
What do you think would happen if tomorrow there was suddenly no rice to eat?
? ? ? ?
suffer from starvation and starve to death. feel scared / be panic(惊慌). fight for food, even kill each other and the whole country would get into trouble.
3. What can we do to solve world hunger?
? Control the population ? Open more areas for growing ? preventing the pests from eating our crops ? Increase the output of crops ? invent a new kind of food ? improving the quality of the soil ? making good use of the waste land ? developing the technology to…
Father of Hybrid Rice
He is father of hybrid rice(杂交水稻), who was lately awarded “the Nobel Prize of Asia ”.He received the honor for his great contributions(贡献) to hybrid rice research and work he did to improve rice production in developing countries.Now he is head of the National Hybrid Rice Research and Development Center in Hunan Province, China (中国湖南省国家杂交水稻研究与发展 中心).He is called a pioneer for all people.
Super hybrid rice
Name: Nationality: Age : Occupation Education: personality: Achievement: Dream: Hobbies:
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
Yuan Longping Chinese 82 Scientist Southwest Agriculture College Care little about money and fame Super hybrid rice Produce, export Violin music, mah-jong, swimming, reading
Skimming: Find out the main idea of each paragraph.
A PIONEER FOR ALL PEOPLE Para1 Dr Yuan’s appearance and his achievements. Para2 Para3 Dr Yuan’s biography
Dr Yuan’s personality and hobbies.
Dr Yuan’s dreams.
? Can you summarize the main idea of the text in one sentence? It ’s about an agricultural pioneer named Yuan Longping who worked hard to produce a new strain of rice.
Read the text and fill in the blanks. Yuan Longping Appearance His________ face and arms and his sunburnt strong ________ , ________ body are just like slim Chinese farmers.
Achievements ★ In 1974, he became the first _________________ agricultural pioneer in the world to grow high output rice. ★ Thanks to his research, the UN has
more tools in the _______________ battle to rid the
world of hunger. _________________
Main events ★ In 1930, he was born into a poor farmer’s family. Southwest Agricultural ★ He graduated from ________________
_________________. ★ Since 1953, finding ways to grow more life goal rice has been his ________. circulating ★ He is now __________ his knowledge in India, Vietnam and many other less developed countries.
College in 1953
★ He is quite satisfied with his life but _______
doesn’t__________ being famous. care about
★ He has many hobbies such as
listening to violin music, playing mah-jong, swimming and reading.
★ He believes that a person with too much
has more rather than fewer troubles. money ____________________________
Dreams ________ ★ To produce a kind of rice that could __________. feed more people export ★ To ______his rice so that it can be grown around the______. __ globe
3 Answer these questions.
1. Why did Yuan Longping want to increase the rice output when he was young? Because at that time, hunger was a serious problem in many parts of the countryside. He saw many people suffered from hunger when he was young.
2. Is Dr Yuan more of a scientist or more of a farmer? Do you think he is a businessman? Give your reasons. I think he is more of a scientist, although he works in the fields like a farmer., his main purpose is not to make a profit for himself but to study agriculture and use that knowledge to improve farming for farmers everywhere. I do not think he is a businessman, because his goal is not to make money.
3. How would you describe Dr Yuan’s personality? Use three or four adjectives. Dr Yuan is a simple, academic man
who is more interested in helping others
than being famous.
4. What do you think is the main reason for Dr Yuan’s success?
I think Dr Yuan was successful because he kept working and did not give up. He also grew up in a poor family, so he was very motivated to succeed and help other farmers around China.
5. Dr Yuan thinks that a person with too much money has more rather than fewer troubles. Do you agree or disagree? Why? I mostly agree. I think being rich can cause a lot of problems, but it really depends on the life and attitude of the person who is rich. People who are rich certainly have different problems from people who are not.
2 Paraphrase these sentences. 1. As a young man, he saw the great need for increasing the rice output. Even when he was a young man, he knew how important it was to produce bigger rice crops.
2. At that time, hunger was a disturbing problem in many parts of the countryside. During his early years, much of the countryside was troubled by hunger. 3. Using his hybrid rice, farmers are producing harvests twice as large as before. As they use his hybrid rice, farmers are producing twice as much rice as before.
4. Spending money on himself or leading a comfortable life also means very little to him. He is not interested in buying things for himself or in having a comfortable life. 5. Just dreaming for things, however, costs nothing. It does not cost anything to dream for something.
How to solve hunger? preventing the pests from eating our crops improving the quality of the soil developing the technology to… making good use of the waste land
inventing a new kind of food…
Discuss in groups of four. What advantages and disadvantages do you see in Yuan Longping’s life? Would you like to have a life like his? Why or why not?
Have you ever grown any plants?
If so, what did you do to grow them?
If not, what kind of
plant would you like to grow? How will you grow it?