Think it over
Why do people speak in different way?
Because they come from different places.
How about the Americans? Does a New Yorker speak the same English with the
people live in Houston?
standard : 标准的 standard English: 标准英语
Is there standard Chinese in China?
The main idea of each paragragh Para 1 American English has many dialects Geography also plays a part in making dialects
There is no such things as standard English.
T or F
1. The English spoken on TV and the radio is standard English. F 2.Two people from neighbouring towns speak quite differently in the USA. F 3. People from the mountains in the southeastern USA speak the same dailects as people in the northwestern USA.
4. The Americans can’t understand each other’s dialects because they move a lot. F
Get some details
1.How many countries were mentioned in para1? Britain, the US, What are they?
Canada, Australia, India and South Africa
Is English the first language of these countries?
2.What kind of dialects were mentioned in para2? What are they?
midwestern , southern, African America and Spanish dialects.
step 3 Detailed reading(3m)
Read the text carefully and try to anwser the following questions: 1.Do people speak in the same way on TV or the radio?
1. What is dialect? 2. Why are there so many dialects in America?
1. What is the other reason for so many dialects?
2. What did the Americans take with them when they moved from one place to another?
Some important points
1. Believe it or not, there is no such thing as standard English. not such a
本办公室没有这个人。 There is no such person in this office.
2. When people use words and expressions different from the “standard Language”, it is called a dialect. 后置定语 当你给出不同于标准答案的回答时，你 将不会得分。 When you give an answer different from the “standard answer”, you will get no point.
3.Geography also plays a part in making dialects. play a role in 他在这个计划中起了非常重要的作用。 He plays an important part in the plan.
4. Although many Americans move a lot , they still recognize and understand each other’s dialects. 认出，承认 他一进屋我就认出他了。
I recognized him as soon as he entered the room.
She expected to _______________the new movie. There is _______________ book in our store. It is important to ________________________________. You
no such Believe it or not, there is ___________ things as standard _________ English. Many people believe the English spoken ____________ on TV and the radio is standard English. This is because in the early days of radio, those who expected reported the news were __________ to speak excellent expressions English. When people use words and ______________ different from the “standard language”, it is called a ___________.American English has so many dialects dialect because people have come from all over the world. plays a part Geography also ______________ in making dialects. When Americans moved from a place to another, they Although took _________ their dialects with them. ___________ recognize Americans move a lot, they still ____________ and understand each other’s dialects.
play a part in , dialect, recognize, different from, words and expressions.
Dongbeihua is a kind of _________ in China, it is ____________ Putonghua. Written Chinese and grammar are almost the same, but there are some __________________in the dongbei dialect that are not used by people who speak putonghua. For example, dongbei people often use “gala” to mean “jiaoluo” in putonghua, and use “an’men” to mean “wo’men”. It is easy to_________small differences in pronunciation between putonghua and the dongbei dialect. For example, “ren” is often pronounced as “yin”. Dongbei dialect _________________ in our daily life now. It brings us much pleasure.
Finish the exercises in section 3