Reading A Short History of Western Painting
First reading: Skim the text and find out: How many periods are mentioned in the passage and what are their names?
information 1. Read every age and find out the characteristics of western paintings: Names of ages Time Main artists Characteristics The main aim of painters was to represent _______ _________. and paintings from this period are full of _______ _________,which created a feeling of ______ and ______ for God. People in this period began to focus less on religious themes and more on _______ _______. They tried to paint ________and _______ as they really were. Two important discoveries in the Renaissance period were _______ _______ and drawing ______ _____________. The impressionists began to work ______ and paint changes in______.Their paintings were not ____ _______ _____
those of earlier painters. Some modern art is _____:the painter does ____attempt to _________________ but_________ _______. Some paintings are _________: they ________ ________ __________. ___ ______ ___ ___
2. Find out whether these statements are true or false： 1) Western art has changed very little over the last 17 centuries. 2 ) Paintings in the Middle Ages were very realistic. 3) Impressionists painted landscapes. 4) Painters in the Middle Ages began to use perspective. 5) In the Renaissance most artists painted indoors. 6) You cannot recognize any object in abstract modern art. 7) Abstract art is still an art style. 8) At first people liked the impressionists’ paintings. 9) Modern art began with the impressionists. 3. Multiple choice: 1) What does the text mainly tell us? A. How religious paintings developed. B. How oil paintings developed. C. How impressionist paintings developed. D. How Western art developed. 2) Which of the following statements is true? A. Paintings in the Middle Ages were very realistic. B. Western art has changed a lot since the 5th century. C. Impressionist paintings were painted mainly indoors. D. Modern art began in the Renaissance. 3) In the Renaissance, painters ________. A. painted religious scenes in a more realistic style. B. focused more on religion than on humans. C. began to paint outdoors. D. returned to classical Roman and Greek ideas about art. 4)_______ discovered how to make paintings look more real by using perspective. A. Gioto di Bondone B. Massaccio C. Claude Monet D. Pablo Picasso 5) At first, more people hated the impressionists’ style of paintings, because _______ A. Their paintings were very abstract. B. Their paintings were very realistic. C. They broke away from the traditional style of painting. D. Their paintings were very ridiculous.
I. Important phrases. 1. 以一种现实的方法___________________ 2. 专注于_____________________ 3. 对生活采取更人性化的态度____________________________________ 4. 在一个真实的场景中________________________ 5. 巧合的是_________________________ 6. 在 19 世纪晚期_____________________________ 7. 许多，大量______________________________ 8. 导致_____________________ 9. 渴望做某事_____________________________ 10. 做为… 被接受______________________ 11. 在另一方面_____________________ 12. 也就是说_______________________
13. as they really were_________________ 14. in perspective__________________
II: Important sentences:
1. Would you rather have Chinese or Western -style paintings in your home? What would you rather do----paint pictures, make sculptures, or design buildings? 1) would rather do…(than do) ______________________________ 我宁愿呆在家里也不愿出去散步。 I __________________________ (stay) at home than ______(go) out for a walk. 2) would rather have done 宁愿做过某事 would rather not have done 宁愿没做过某事 I would rather ____________________(stay) at home watching home. I would rather _________________________(not go) out with you yesterday. 2. A typical picture at this time was full of religious symbols,… typical adj.典型的；具有代表性的；象征性的(representative) 典型人物 typical examples 典型事例 a typical character
be typical of 是 ... 的特点 It was typical of her to forget._________________________________
______________________________________________ others’ feelings. 3. But it was evident that ideas were changing in the 13th century... adj. evident 明白的, 明显的(apparent) n. evidence 证据;证明 显然你累了。 ______________________________________________________.
4. When people first saw his paintings they were convinced that they were looking through a hole in the wall at a real scene. vt. convince 使相信; 信服; 说服 convince sb. to do sth.说服某人做某事 convince sb. of sth / that 从句 使某人确信某事 adj. 练习： 1) He convinced me ________________________________. mental health. A. of; at (江西 2007) B. by; in C. of; on D. on; at
convinced 确信的； 深信的
be convinced that / of____________________
adj. convincing 有说服力的
2) Scientists are convinced _____ the possible effect of laughter _____ physical and
3) I was convinced ______________ he knew the truth. 4) The doctor convinced me _______________ stop smoking. 5. Nowadays,there are scores of modern art styles. scores of 很多, 几十(scores of 前不能加数词 ) a score of 二十 1)_____________(很多) people attended the special performance. 2) ____________________（有 40 人）those people wanted to fly there. score a goal (游戏、比赛的) 得分, 评分 The score in the football game was 4 - 1.足球比赛的比分是四比一。 拓展：dozens of____________ tens of ___________ 数十亿_______________________ thousands of ___________________ 数百万数十(个等)________________ 6. Among the painters who broke away from the traditional style of painting were the Impressionists, who lived and worked in Paris. 在这些脱离传统绘画风格的画家中就有生活和工作在巴黎的印象派艺术家们。 此 句是一个_______，正常语序应为________________________________________ _______________________________此句为__________语提前而引起的倒装。 Ex. 1) Sitting at the back of the house _____ ___ 一个长着两只大眼睛的女孩坐在屋子的后面。 2) Gone ____ ____ _______when women were looked down upon. 妇女受歧视的日子一去不复返了。 3) Present at the meeting ______. A．Mr. Liu was, who taught us English C． was who taught us English, Mr. Liu B．was Mr. Liu, who taught us English D． Liu, who taught us English, was Mr. _______ with two big eyes.
7. The impressionists were the first painters to work outdoors. 第几个做某事的人 the +序数词+ to do sth. _______________________________(最后一个离开的人) must lock the door. He is always __________________and ___________________________. (第一个到达和最后一个离开的人) III. Grammar sentences. 1. If you could have three of these paintings on the walls of your classroom, which would you choose. 译：_____________________________________________________________ If you were an aritist, what kind of pictures would you paint? 译：_____________________________________________________________ 这两个句子都是对________时态的虚拟， 结构是从句 if+ 主语+ _______, 主 句是主语+_______________ 2. If the rules of perspective had not been discovered, no one would have been able to paint such realistic pictures. 译：____________________________________________________________ 这是对__________时态的虚拟， 结构是从句 if+主语+ _______________, 主 句是主语+ __________________________. 3. Have you ever wished you could paint as well as a professional artist? wish 引导的宾语从句常常用虚拟语气，表示难以实现的愿望。是对现在的虚拟. wish + 主语+ _____________. 对过去的虚拟 wish+ 主语+________ 4. Without the new paints and the new technique, we would not be able to see the many great masterpieces for which this period is famous. But without the Impressionists, many of these painting styles might not exist. 这里是含蓄虚拟语气句，可以表示对现在或过去的虚拟。 对现在的虚拟，结构为 without + sth, 主语+ _____________________________ 对过去的虚拟，结构为 without + sth, 主语+ ______________________________ 练习 Ⅰ. 单词拼写 1.We may talk of beautiful things but beauty itself is a___________________. 2. I have great f___________ in you---- I know you will do it well. 3. We’ll try to help the children get out of the s____________ caused by the earquake. 4. As a couple had no children of their own, they a________________ a girl. 5．Don't be ______________ (荒唐的)! You can't pay ￡50 for a T－shirt! 6．Environmental damage threatens the whole _______________ (文明)．
7．He came here without friends or _____________ (财产) and made his fortune. 8．The greatest _____________ (学者) can't solve this difficult problem. II. 单选： 1．—Would you rather ______ there tomorrow? —No, I'd rather he ______ there instead of me. A．to go; will go B．go; went C．go; will go D．going; shall go 2．______them have been to New York______. A．Scores; dozen of times C．Scores of; dozens of times A．putting forward moment.. A． other words in A．notice A．succeeded B． the other hand on B．hold C． one thing D． a matter of fact for as D．care 5．Can they take ______ of that house if we fail to reach an agreement with them? C．possession 6．He ______ to escape from the prison, but he couldn't find anybody to help him. B．attempted C．advised D．offered 7．—How do you like the film? —Oh, it is wonderful. People here think ______ of it. A．a number A．adopting B．a great deal C．a great many D．a plenty D．adapting 8．French fashionable dress has been ______ by people in many parts of the world. B．adopted C．adapted 9. Jack is watching NBA now. It is ____ of him to slip out of the classroom to watch the NBA finals during the final season. A. normal A．attract B . ordinary C. common C．appeal D. typical D．attach 10. The Harry Potter books ______ to readers of all ages. B．pay attention 11. It seems quite ______ to expect a student to acquire so many fresh skills within such a short period. A．urgent A．If it is not B．available C．scary B．Were it not D．ridiculous 12. ______for the free tickets, I would not have gone to the films so often. C．Had it not been D．If they were not B．relying on B．Dozens of; score of times D．Two scores of; two dozens of times C．setting foot in D．aiming at
3．Jerry works out every morning ，______ a weight loss of ten pounds. 4．I would like a job which pays more, but ______ I enjoy the work I'm doing at the