Unit 5 Nelson Mandela a modern hero
班级 ________姓名___________学号_______面批 __________分数__________ I.语法专练(每小题 2 分，共 40 分) （AB 层） 1. In the dark street, there wasn’t a single person _____ she
could turn for help. A. that a child. A. which A. it B. where B. that C. that C. when D. when D. which C. its price D. the price of whose 3．Carol said the work would be done by October, ＿personally I doubt very much. 4. Recently I bought an ancient Chinese vase, _____ was very reasonable. A. which price B. the price of which 5.A bank is the place ______ they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it begins to rain. A. when A. in which A. the way A. which B. that B. in that C. in whose C where D. whose C. the way which D. the way of which D. there 6.The boss ____ department Ms King worked ten years ago look down upon women. 7. I don’t like _____ you speak to her. B. the way in that B. that C. when 8.Sales director is a position______commuincation ability is just as important as sales. D. where C. which I think it D.I think which 9. He made another wonderful discovery , ____ of great importance to science. A. which I think is is 10. I will invite _______ my daughter loves. A. whoever was 226 days. A. of which A. how A. where B. during which B. which C. where C. from which D. that D. that D. for which 12. I work in a business almost everyone is waiting for a great chance. B. whomever C. whichever D. whatever 11. The journey around the world took the old sailor nine months, _____ the sailing time B. which I think it is B. who C. from whom D. to whom 2.After living in Pairs for fifty years he returned to the small town _ he grew up as
13. There were dirty marks on her trousers ______ she had wiped her hands. B. which C. when 14. A story goes ______ Elizabeth I of England liked nothing more that being surrounded by clever and qualified noblemen at court. A. when B. where C. what B．which of D. that are sold abroad . C．of them D．of that
15. The factory produces half a million pairs of shoes every year, 80% A．of which
16. Ellen was a painter of birds and nature, ______, for some reason, had withdrawn from
all human society. 12’浙江 A. which A．the larger A．the way B. who C. where D. whom D．the larger of which 17. There are two buildings, stands nearly a hundred feet high . he said it. D．the way which D. whose real name
B．the larger of them C．the larger one that B．in the way that C．in the way C. his real name D. which
18. What surprised me was not what he said but
19. George Orwell, _______ was Eric Arthur, wrote many political novels and essays. A. the real name B. what his real name A when B. that C. where 20. 10. The days are gone ______ physical strength was all you needed to make a living. II 完型填空（共 20 小题；每小题 1 分，满分 20 分） （AB 层） That holiday morning I didn’t have to attend school. Usually, on holidays, Mother 36 me to sleep in. And I would certainly take full advantage of it. On this particular I stood by my window overlooking the ___38___, having nothing better to do. But as it turned out, I was soon to learn about something ___39___ in life. As I watched several people go by, get into their cars and go off, I ___40___ an old man on a bicycle with a bucket on its ___41___ and a basket rags and bottles on its back-carriage. He ___42___ from one car to another, washing and cleaning them. From the water on the ground, it seemed that he had already ___43___ washing and cleaning about a dozen or more cars. He must have begun to work quite early in the morning. Several thoughts ___44___my mind as I watched him work. He wasn’t well-dressed. He had on a pair of shorts and a(n) ___45___ T-shirt. The bicycle he rode was not by any means the kind modern ___46___would want to be seen riding on. But he seemed__47__ with life. There he was, working hard at his small business, ___48___ at passers-by and stopping to chat now and then ___49___ elderly men and women on their way to the market nearby. There was a noticeable touch of___50___ in the way he seemed to be doing things— ___51___the windscreen (挡风玻璃), then standing back to admire it; scrubbing (擦净) the wheels and ___52___, standing back to see what they look like after the scrub. It was a ___53___ to learn, I felt. At no age need one have to beg for a ___54___if one has good health and is willing to work hard. For a while I felt ___55__ of myself. Young as I am—just sixteen, and there was this old man who must have been usefully engaged perhaps before the sun appeared above the horizon. 36．A．forces 37．A．otherwise 38．A．parking lot B．allows B．therefore B．bus stop C．causes C．however C．school D．forbids D．besides D．market
morning, ___37___,I felt like getting up early.
39．A．interesting 40．A．noticed 41．A．back 42．A．searched 43．A．stopped 44．A．crossed 45．A．attractive 46．A．repairmen 47．A．busy 48．A．waving 49．A．about 50．A．worry 51．A．cleaning 52．A．still 53．A．lesson 54．A．business 55．A．tired III 阅读理解
B．surprising B．recognized B．handle B．left B．started B．slipped B．shiny B．businessmen B．content B．looking B．for B．respect B．fixing B．yet B．subject B．living B．doubtful A （AB 层）
C．awful C．called C．wheel C．moved C．intended C．disturbed C．simple C．drivers C．careful C．laughing C．with C．sympathy C．replacing C．again C．skill C．success C．fearful
D．useful D．assisted D．seat D．wandered D．finished D．inspired D．expensive D．cyclists D．bored D．pointing D．like D．pride D．covering D．soon D．fact D．right D．ashamed
Why is pink or purple a color for girls and blue or brown for boys? The answer depends largely on cultural values as well as personal experiences. To the Egyptians, green was a color that represented the hope and joy of spring, while for Muslims, it means heaven. Red is a symbol of good luck in many cultures. In China, children are given money in a red envelope to bring good fortune in the New Year. For many nations, blue is a symbol of protection and religious beliefs. Greek people often wear a blue necklace hoping to protect themselves against evils（灾祸）. People’s choice of colors is also influenced by their bodies’ reactions （反应） toward them. Green is said to be the most restful color. It has the ability to reduce pain and relax people both mentally and physically. People who work in green environment have been found to have fewer stomach aches. Red can cause a person’s blood pressure to rise and increase people’s appetites （食欲）. Many decorators will include different shades of red in the restaurant. Similarly, many commercial websites will have a red “Buy Now” button because red is a color that easily catches a person’s eye. Blue is another calming color. Unlike red, blue can cause people to lose appetite. So if you want to eat less, some suggest that eating from blue plates can help.
The next time you are deciding on what to wear or what color to decorate your room, think about the color carefully. 60. Muslims regard green as a symbol of heaven mainly because of their A. cultural values purposes C. personal experiences color 61. Why will many commercial websites have a red “Buy Now” button? A. To relax people physically. rise. 62. What color might help lose weight according to the text? A. Red Purple. 63. Which of the following would be the most proper title for the text? A. Colors and Human Beings C. Colors and Personal Experiences B. The Cultural Meaning of Color D. The Meaning and Function of Color B（A 层） When Frida Kahlo’s paintings were on show in London, a poet described her paintings as “ a ribbon （丝带）around a bomb”. Such comments seem to suggest Kahlo had a big influence on the art world of her time. Sadly, she is actually a much bigger name today than she was during her time. Born in 1907 in a village near Mexico City , Kahlo suffered from polio（小儿麻痹 症）at the age of seven. Her spine（脊柱）become bent as she grew older. Then, in 1925, her back was broken in several places in a school-bus accident. Throughout the rest of her life, the artist had many operations, but noting was able to cure the terrible pain in her back. However, the accident had an unexpected side effect. While lying in her bed recovering, Kahlo taught herself to paint. In 1929, she got married to Diego Rivera, another famous Mexican artist. Rivera’s strong influences on Kahlo’s style can be seen in her early works, but her later works from the 1940s, known today as her best works, show less influence from her husband. Unfortunately, her works did not attract much attention in the 1930s and1940s, even in her home country. Her first one-woman show in Mexico was not held until 1953.For more than a decade after her death in 1954, Kahlo’s works remained largely unnoticed by the world, but in the 1970s her works began to gain international fame at last. 64. What does the phrase “a much bigger name” in paragraph 1 most nearly mean?
B. commercial D. physical reactions to the
B. To increase people’s appetites.
C. To encourage people to make a purchase. D. To cause a person’s blood pressure to
A. a far better artist more gifted artist C. a much stronger person person 65. The terrible pain Kahlo suffered was caused by A. polio she had 66. Kahlo’s style had become increasingly independent since the A.1930s 1950s A. Devotion Encouragement C （A 层） B. 1940s D. 1970s B. Sympathy C. Worry C. B. her bent spine C. back injuries .
B. a for D. a much more famous
D. the operations .
67. What is author’s attitude toward Kahlo? D.
In Asia, there are special competitions where kites have complex designs and are fitted with instruments that make musical sounds as the wind blows through them. Although all kites have a similar structure （结构）, they are widely different in size and shape. Kite-fighting competitions are also held, in which competitions us their kites to attack and bring down their opponents’（对手）kites or cut their strings（线）. For more than 15 years, the Big Wind Kite Factory has been giving kite-making and kite flying classes for the children on an island in Hawaii. In its kite-making lessons, students can make kites in as little as 20 minutes! Children as young as four years old can learn how to fly a kite. Jonathan Socher and his wife Daphne started the kite factory in 1980. Their kites are made of nylon（尼龙）.Their designs are Hawaiian themes created by Daphne. The designs are cut out of the nylon with a hot knife that seals the edges and then fastened directly onto the kite. The kite that is used to give lessons is a regular diamond kite with a rainbow pattern. The difference between this kite and the ones they make during the lessons is that it is a two-string controllable kite. Big Wind employees fly the kite and for a few minutes show students how pulling on one line and then on the other controls the direction the kite goes in. Then the controls are given to the students. Jonathan insists that it is not necessary to make a huge impressive kite to have fun making and flying kites. Even the simplest structure can work, and can give hours of fun. Go on, give it a try! 68. Which of the following is true according to the text? A. A hot knife is used to iron the nylon. B. Children never fly kites on their own in flying lessons.
C. Kite strings must not be cut in kite-fighting competitions. D. Daphne designs kites for the Big Wind Kite Factory. 69. What is different about the kite used for flying lessons? A. It has two strings. design C. It has a rainbow pattern. A. A large kite. C. A complex structure. A. A kite factory C. Special competitions. Welcome to your future life! You get up in the morning and look into the mirror. Your face is firm and young-looking. In 2035, medical technology is better than ever. Many people your age could live to be 150, so at 40, you’re not old at all. And your parents just had an anti-aging(抗衰老的) treatment. Now, all three of look the same age! You say to your shirt, “Turn red.” It changes from blue to red. In 2035, “smart clothes” contain particles(粒子) much smaller than the cells in your body. The particles can be programmed to change clothes’ color or pattern. You walk into the kitchen. You pick up the milk, but a voice says,“ You shouldn’t drink that!” Your fridge has read the chip (芯片) that contains information about the milk , and it knows the milk is old . In 2035, every article of food in the grocery store has such a chip. It’s time to go to work. In 2035, cars drive themselves. Just tell your “smart car” where to go. On the way, you can call a friend using your jacket sleeve. Such “smart technology” is all around you. So will all these things come true? “For new technology to succeed,” says scientist Andrew Zolli ,”it has to be so much better that it replaces what we have already.” The Internet is one example—what will be the next? 72. We can learn from the text that in the future__________. A .people will never get old C. red will be the most popular color B. everyone will look the same D. clothes will be able to change their pattern 71. What is mainly described in the text? B. Kite-flying lessons. D. The kite-making Process. D（A 层） D. It is shaped like a diamond. B Any type of kite. D. A kite that impresses others. 70. According to Jonathan, what do you need to have fun with kites? B. It is simple in
73. What can be inferred from Paragraph 4? A. Milk will be harmful to health. B. More drinks will be available for sale. C. Food in the grocery store will carry electronic information.
D. Milk in the grocery store will stay fresh much longer. 74. Which of the following is mentioned in the text? A. Nothing can replace the Internet. C. Jacked sleeves can be used as a guide. automatically. 75. What is the text mainly about? A. Food and clothing in 2035. C. Medical treatments of the future. technology. 1-5 DBDBC 6-10 CADAB 11-15 ACADA 16-20 BDADA 36-40 BCADA 41-45 BCDAC 46-50 DBACD 51-55 ACABD 60-63 ACCD 64-67 DCBB 68-71 DABA 72-75 DCDB B. Future technology in everyday life. D. The reason for the success of new B. Fridges will know what people need. D. Cars will be able to drive