Module 3 Music
1. audience n. 听众，观众，读者
a large / small audience
There was a la
rge audience in the theatre.
广播演说者可能有几百万听众。 A broadcaster may have an audience of several million.
2. Joseph Haydn was an Austrian composer and is known as “the father of the symphony” be known as, be known for, be known to, be known in be known as 作为??而著名，其后的 名词表 示的身份、职业等。 如：他作为一个著名歌手而出名。 He is known as a famous singer． 我们相信你会成为一位著名的画家。 We’re sure you’ll be well-known as an artist．
be known for 因??而著名，接表示某人或物 特点、特长等的内容。如： 桂林因其美丽的山水而闻名。 Guilin is known for her beautiful mountains and rivers． 他因在同一天组织两场大型的流行音乐会而 出名。 He is well-known for organizing two big pop concerts on the same day.
be known to 为??所了解／知道，其后接
He is known to all in our village．
be known in 意为“在某地很著名”。
He is well-known in the town where he was
Practice- Fill in blanks
1. Chaplin was known _____ his silent films for to and this is known ____us all.
as 2. Shakespeare is well-known ______ a great
writer for his excellent plays.
to 3. It’s well known ____ all that the Olympic
Games was held in China in 2008.
3. Other composers had written symphonies before Hayden, but he changed the symphony into a long piece for a large orchestra. change…into 把??换成?? 把教室换成（装修成）卧室。 Change the classroom into a bedroom. 把英语翻译成汉语。 Change English into Chinese. change into + 衣服 换上??衣服 change out of +衣服 换掉??衣服
Eg. 她换上了她的游泳衣。 She changed into her swimsuit. 你需要把那些湿衣服换掉。 You need to change out of those wet things. change …for…以??换?? 我想要把这条裙子换成一个大的。 I’d like to change this dress for a larger one.
change …with…与某人换?? Eg. 我可以与你换换座位吗? Can I change seat with you? change n. 改变，变化，替换，变更； 零钱 天气的变化 a change in the weather 换衣服 a change of clothes
change n. （u）零钱，找头 你的零钱。 Here is your change. 我身上没有零钱。 I have no change about / on/with me. 不要忘了你的零钱! Don’t forget your change! have change on/ with sb 身边有零钱 换换口味 for a change
4. He was born in a village in Austria, the son of a peasant. the son of a peasant. 同位语 同位语定义：一个名词（或其它形式） 对另一个名词或代词进行修饰、限定或 说明，那么这个名词（或其它形式）就 是同位语。同位语与被它限定的词常常 紧挨在一起。 马小姐，我们的英语老师，对我们很友 好。 Miss Ma, our English teacher, is very kind to us.
5. He had a beautiful singing voice. Sound 泛指任何声音，不论其 高低、是否悦耳等。 我听见流水声。 I heard the sound of running water. 光比声音传播得快。 Light travels faster than sound.
noise表示“噪音、喧闹”，指的是人 们不愿听到的声音或嘈杂声。它可以 作可数名词，也可以用作不可数名词 。 如：昨夜我听见一些奇怪的响声。
I heard some strange noises last night.
There’s a lot of noise here.
Please speak in a louder voice.
6. After studying music in Vienna, Haydn went to work at the court of a prince in eastern Austria, where he became director of music. (1) After studying music in Vienna… =After he studied music in Vienna… =Having studied music in Vienna… court n. 庭院，法庭，球场 empire n. 帝国 emperor n. 皇帝 empress n. 女皇，皇后 prince n. 王子， 亲王 princess n. 公主，王妃
director of music 音乐指挥。director表 示职位，不加冠词。英语中表示职位， 头衔的名词，用作表语、同位语、补足 语时，不加冠词。 A 如：Clinton was elected ______ president for the second time. A. / B. the C. a D. our 注意:如果这类名词在句中作主语，需 要加冠词。 总统做了电视讲话。 The president gave a speech on TV.
7. Having worked there for 30 years, He moved to London, where he became very successful. Having done… 做时间状语 现在分词的完成式作状语, 表示的动作发 生在谓语动词的动作之前。 Having worked there for 30 years… = After Haydn had worked there for 30 years…
读过信之后，她非常激动。 Having read the letter, she got very excited. 在这家工厂工作时，他从工人那里学到 了很多。 Working in the factory, he learned a lot from the workers. 注意：现在分词的一般式表示动作与谓 语动词的动作同时发生。
规则：现在分词作时间状语： 如果分词所表示的动作和谓语的动作 同时发生或几乎同时发生， 用现在分词的一般式。如果分词动作 明显在谓语之前发生，用现分完成式。 没收到他的回信，她就又给她写了一封。 Not having heard from him, she wrote to him again.
successful adj. 成功的 success n. 成功，成就，胜利 succeed v.成功，胜利， 继承，接 着发生 完全成功 completely successful 获得成功 enjoy/get/gain/win/achieve/attain (a) success succeed in (doing) sth 成功做某事 Eg. 他成功的通过了考试． He succeed in (passing) the exam.
谁将继承这份财产？ Who will succeed to the estate? 他继他父亲之后做了这家商店的经理。 He will succeed his father as manager of the shop. fail v. 失败 failure n.失败
8. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart was a composer, possibly the greatest musical genius of all time. time 固定搭配 (1) ahead of time 提前 (2) all the time 一直，始终 (3) at a time 每次/一次 (4) at one time 曾经；一度 (5) at the same time 同时；然而 (6) at times 有时
(7) behind time 不及时，晚点 (8) behind the times 过时 (9) from time to time 有时，间或 (10) have a good / hard time 过得很好 / 处境 困难 (11) in one’s spare time 在业余时间 (12) in a short time 不久 (13) in time 及时；迟早 (14) kill time 消磨时间 (15) many a time 时常，多次
(16) on time 准时
(17) take one’s time 从容；慢慢来
(18) time and time again 多次，不断地 (19) for the time being 暂时
9. He only lived 35 years and he composed more than 600 pieces of music. more than的用法 A. “more than＋名词”表示“：不 仅仅 詹森不仅仅是一个讲演者，他还是 一个作家。 Jason is more than a lecturer; he is a writer, too.
B. “more than＋数词”含“以上” 或“不止”之意，如： 我已经认识大卫20多年了 I have known David for more than 20 years. C. “more than＋形容词”等于“很” 或“非常”的意思，如： 她对这个结果非常满意。 She is more than pleased with the result.
D. more than +从句
That is more than I can do.
a piece of poetry
一幅雪景图 a snow piece
10. Wolfgang had musical talent from a very early age. 沃尔夫冈很小便有音乐天赋。 talent n.才能，才干；天才，天资（与介 词for连用）talented adj. 有才能的；天才 的 (1) 这个小女孩从小就具有语言天赋。 The little girl had a talent for languages from a very early age. (2) 有才能的人 a man of talent
比较：genius/talent genius指“天才”，语气强烈，表示 最高的、最全面的、最富于创造性的 才能，即天赋。talent 较着重“特殊 才能”，一般不用复数。例如： 这个小女孩具有舞蹈才能。 The little girl has a talent for dancing. 莎士比亚是一个文学天才。 Shakespeare was a genius in literature.
11. He started composing music when he was five, and when he was six, he played the harpsicord in a concert for the Empress of Austria. start / begin to do =start /begin doing start/begin 用 to do 不用doing的情况: (1)主语为物 It began to rain. 天开始下雨了。
(2) start/begin 本身用了进行时 He was starting to think about it. 他开始想这件事了。 (3) start/begin 后有realize，know， understand 等表心理活动的词时。 They started to realize theirs mistakes. 他们开始意识到他们的错误了。
12. By the time he was 14, Mozart had composed many pieces for the harpsichord, piano and violin, as well as for orchestras. time常用句型 (1) It’s time for sth. 是做??的时候 了。 该吃晚饭了。 It’s time for supper.
(2) It’s time (for sb.) to do sth. 是（某 人）该干??的时候了。 我们该吃晚饭了。 It’s time for us to have supper. (3) It’s (high) time + that 从句 （that可以省略，从句谓语动词用虚 拟语气）是某人（早）该干某事的时 候了。 我们早该吃晚饭了。 It’s (high) time that we had supper.
(4) It (this /that) is the first (second, third …) time + that 从句（从句要 用现在完成时）。这（那）是某人 第一（二、三??）次干某事。如 主句谓语动词是过 去时，则 that 从 句要用过去完成时。 这是我们第二次在这家饭店吃饭了。 It was the second time that we had had supper in this restaurant.
(5) by the time引导的时间状语从句。若 从句用一般现在时，主句要用将来完成 时；若从句是一般过去时，主句要用过 去完成时。 他二十岁时，他已经从大学毕业了。
By the time he was twenty, he had
graduated from college.
(6) each time（每次），next time（下
次）， any time（任何时候）等词组引
下一次你到我家来我讲给你看我最新的 作品。 Next time you come to my home, I’ll show you my latest works.
关于time的练习 (1) I thought her nice and honest _____ I B met her. A. first time B. the first time C. for the first time D. in time (2) By the time you get to San Francisco tomorrow, I ______ for Southeast Asia. D A. shall have left B. am leaving C. will leave D. have already left
(3) Don’t try to do everything at Once; take it a bit ______. D A. at one time B. by one time C. one for each time D. at a time (4) If Father had returned on the Christmas, we would have had ______. D A. the happiest time B. a more happier time C. much happiest time D. a much happier time
(5) By the time this letter reaches you, I B ____ the country. A. have left B. will have left C. will leave D. had left (6) By the time he was twelve, Edison _________a chemistry lab for himself. B A. has built B. had built C. will have built D. have built
as well as 不仅，相当于not only. 用法：该词组为连词，作：同；和； 也“讲” 时，连接同等并列成分。连 接两个主语时，谓语动词采用就远原 则。 不但莉莉的父母，而且连莉莉也非常 喜欢古典音乐。 Lily as well as her parents is very fond of classical music.
辩析：as well as/not only…but also;都有 “不但……而且”之意，均连接同等并 列成分但 as well as 强调的是前项，not only… but also 强调的是后项；连接两个 主语时，as well as 中的谓语动词采用就 远原则，not only…but also 中的谓语动 词采用就近原则。 又如：我们不但白天旅行，而且晚上也 旅行。 We should travel by night as well as by day.
我们不但白天旅行，而且晚上也旅行。 We shall travel not only by day but also by night. as well as和as well都有“也；还”之意， 但是as well as是连词，连接两个并列成 分；as well是副词，意为“又；另外也”， 其后不跟什么成分。 把那些也给我吧。 Give me those as well.
as well as 除了以上的用法，还有我 们最熟悉的另一种用法，即用于比 较状语从句，意思是“和??一样 好”。 如：你开车和他开得一样好。 You drive as well as he does. 约翰足球踢得即使不比大卫好，也 得和他一样好。 John plays football as well as, if not better than, David.
13. Hayden met Mozart in 1781 and was very impressed with him. impress vi/ vt 打动，给…留下印象 她的话深深地打动了我。 Her words deeply impressed me. impress sth on sb 用??打动某人 impress sb with sth 她的幽默感给我们流下了深刻的印象。 She impressed her sense of humor on us. She impressed us with her sense of humor.
他的话铭刻在我的记忆里。 His words are strongly impressed on my memory. 他们对姑娘的幽默感留下深刻印象。 The girl impressed them with her sense of humour.
14. While he was still a teenager, Mozart was already a big star and toured Europe giving concerts. 周游世界 tour the world 这出戏将在金秋在农村巡回演出。 The play will tour the countryside in the autumn. n. 游历，观光 做环球旅行 make a round–the–world tour
15. It was Haydn who encouraged Beethoven to move to Vienna. 强调句型的用法 1. 在英语中，我们常用It is／was… who/that结构来突出强调句子的某一成 分 (一般是句子中主语，宾语或状语)。 在这个句型中，it没有词汇意义，只是 引出被强调的成分。如果被强调的成分 是表示人的词，用who或that来连接都 可以。如果是其它成分，则一律用that 来连接。
例如：正是我母亲每天做饭。 It is my mother who／that cooks every day. 正是昨天汤姆才通过的考试。 It was yesterday that Tom passed in the maths exam．
与原句中的主语保持一致。 e.g. It is I who am right． e.g. It is he who is wrong．
3. 即使被强调成分是句子中的时间状 语，地点状语，原因状语等，也不能 用when，where, because，要用 that。 例如：直到战争结束以后爱因斯坦才 能够重新继续研究工作。 It was after the war was over that Einstein was able to come back to his research work again .
那位老妇人恰恰是在银行前面被 抢劫的。 It was in front of the bank that the old lady was robbed． 正是因为大雨他才来晚了。 It was because of the heavy rain that he came late．
4. 如果被强调的成分有同位语， 同位语也应提前。 正是从他，他的化学老师那里 Paul 学会了仔细观察。 It was from him, his chemistry Teacher, that Paul learned to watch carefully in class．
5. 区分定语从句和强调句型，如果去掉 it is／ was ...that句子仍然通顺成立，则 为强调句型，不成立不通顺，则为定语 从句。 例如：正是三年前他去美国进修的。 It was three years ago that he went to American for a further study. 去掉 It was that 句子为 Three years ago he went to America for a further study．句子通顺，意思完整，那么，这 就是一个强调句型。
注意: (1) 强调时间、地点、原因状语时, 通常只使用that,而不能使用when, where, why。 ① It was only when I reread his poems B recently ________I began to appreciate their beauty. A.until B. that C. when D. so
② It was in Qingdao________I saw the B sea for the first time. A. what B. that C. when D. which ③ It was because of bad weather _____ D the football match had to be put off. A. so B. so that C. why D. that
以上三题均为强调句型，分别强调时间 状语 (only when I reread his poems recently)、地点状语(in Qingdao)和原因 状语(because of bad weather), 均只能使 用that。 (2)当被强调的是not...until句型时，应将 not 置于until之前，主句由否定句改为肯 定句。 C ① It was not until 1920 ________regular radio broadcast began. A. while B. which C. that D. since
(3) 强调主语时,谓语动词应与之保持一致。 【误】 It is I who/ that is going to be sent there to help them. 【正】 It is I who/ that am going to be sent there to help them. (4) 强调主语或宾语且其为人称代词时, 应 注意其形式仍用主格或宾格形式。 【误】It was her that told me about it. 【正】It was she that told me about it. 【误】It is I who the teacher has punished. 【正】It is me whom the teacher has punished.
反馈练习 (1) It is the ability to do the job, not where you come from or what you are ________ B matters. A. one B. that C. what D. it (2) It was not ________ she took off her B dark glasses ________ I realized she was a famous film star. A. when; that B. until; that C. until; when D. when; then
D (3) It was with great joy ___ he received the news that his lost daughter had been found. A. because B. which C. since D. that
(4) She did quite well in her written
papers; it was in the oral examination C ___ she fell down. A. who C. that B. whom D. why
(5) --___that he managed to get the C information? --Oh, a friend of his helped him. A. Where was it B. What was it C. How was it D. Why was it
(6) Why! I have nothing to confess.
___ you want me to say? A A. What is it B. What it is C. How is it D. How it is
(7) He is a man of few words.
It is only after he had a few
C drinks ___ he can open up.
A. when B. as
16. Beethoven became very popular in the Austrian capital and stayed there for the rest of his life. (1) popular adj. 流行的，受欢迎的 a popular song 一首流行歌曲 a popular teacher 一位受欢迎的老师 sb./sth be popular with sb... 受某人欢迎 sb./sth be popular in+ 地点… 在某地受欢迎
Football is popular with people
all over the world. 足球在中国是一个受欢迎的运动。 Football is a popular game in China.
(2) rest n. 剩余的人（物），做主语 时，动词数的形式取决于它的具体所 指。 我拿走了一些钱，剩下的是你的。 I take some money and the rest is yours. 一些学生去踢足球了，剩余的在教室 里学习。 Some students went to play football and the rest are studying in the classroom.
17. As he grew older, he began to go deaf. go +adj.往往表示事物由好向坏的变化。 类似的用法： go deaf 变聋 go mad 变疯 go wrong 变坏 （出毛病）go bad 变坏（变质） go hungry 变饿 go blind 变瞎 当我向他提及此事时，他的脸红了。 When I mentioned it to him, his face went red. 她的头发正在变白。 Her hair is going gray.
1. It is known to all______ the theme A of the 2010 World Expo is “Better city, Better life.”
A. that B. what C. which D. when
C 2. It is along the Mississippi River ____
Mark Twain spent much of his childhood.
A. how B. which C. that D. where
C 3. Peter has a/an ______ for
making a difficult subject
understandable and interesting. A. knowledge C. talent B. ability D. skill
C 4. Tom was deeply _____ by the story of the hero. Which of the following is not right? A. impressed B. moved C. pressed D. struck B 5. He is popular _____ young people because he is known ______ the king of the rock. A. with, for B. with, as C. to, as D. to, for
6. Hearing the bad news, he _____ mad. B A.goes B. went C. has gone D. has become C 7. Fish soon _____ in hot weather. A.goes badly B. is gone bad C. goes bad D. is badly gone D 8. They changed their blue shirts ____ white ones. A. from B. with C. into D. for