Module 5 Unit 15 Lesson 1 Life-long Learning Teaching Plan
本课是北师大版英语教材第 15 单元的第 1 课，主课文通过介绍三个 不同年龄段的人的学习情况，强调终身学习的重要性。 本课的教学以一个小调查开始引出话题，激发学生兴趣，使学生产生 阅读的动机。引导学生学会预测，通过听力和快速阅读归纳
文章的主要信 息，再逐段阅读提取细节信息，并在整理信息的过程中，锻炼学生分析并 解决问题的能力，最后结合课文的信息和语言进行输出性活动。
By the end of this period, the Ss will be able to: 1. Grasp the structure of the passage. 2. Retell the learning experiences of the three life-long learners, using the information and vocabulary acquired from the texts. 3. Realize the importance of life-long learning and make their own plans for continuous study.
Teaching Important Points:
1. To get familiar with some words and phrases related to the life-long learning. 2. To understand the main idea of the passage and more detailed information as well. 3. To improve Ss’ listening and reading strategies.
1. How to help Ss achieve a better understanding of the importance of life-long learning and encourage them to make their own plans for continuous study.
2. Guide Ss to use the information and vocabulary acquired from the texts.
1. Task-based learning method 2. Discovering learning method 3. Student-centered method (individual work; pair work and group work)
Teaching Procedures: StepⅠ Lead-in
1. T (teacher) invites Ss to do a mini survey and fill in some blanks to make Ss think about the age which they think is no longer suitable for learning. 2. T introduces some proverbs about life-long learning and takes Yao Ming as an example. 3. T presents several pictures representing people of different ages and backgrounds to lead in the topic: life-long learning and make Ss clear that we have entered a world of life-long learning, more and more people are continuing to study to improve themselves nowadays.
1. Ss look at and talk about the photos and then work in groups discussing how important is it for people to continue their studies after formal education. 2. Some of the Ss report their ideas with the class. 3. Ss work in small groups of four talking about the rapid
changes the world is undergoing and how these changes make it necessary for people to continue learning. 4. Some of the Ss share their ideas with the class and then complete the table as a whole class. 5. T asks Ss to review the new words of this lesson and read in chorus.
1. Ss listen to the cassette and find out the basic information of the three learners (names and ages) the passage refers to. 2. Ss work individually skimming the passage to make clear of the main idea and the writer’s purpose of writing. 3. Ss choose right answers to the three questions and fill in the blanks. Check answers as a class by having some Ss read out the answers.
1. Ss scan the passage silently again to get detailed information and decide whether the sentences are true or false. 2. Ss read the passage paragraph by paragraph and fill in the table with the correct information. Give Ss time to think about and discuss the answers if they wish before writing. 3. Some of the Ss share their ideas with the whole class. Answers: Name Sun Wen Ms Tang Grandpa Chen What did Computer they study? Engineering Business How to email and use the Internet
Got bored with Give himself a being a full-time Reason for second chance by housewife after study studying for a being laid off from degree work and dreamed of starting her own company. How did By distance Did a business they study? learning course About to Has learnt many graduate with a new skills and has Result of Bachelor’s already prepared a their study degree; business plan for Getting promoted setting up her own at work. export company.
It was too expensive to send letters by airmail when the postage went up.
Got his grandson to instruct him Sent and answered messages fast，can see and talk to his grandchildren in the US on the i-Cam; He’s now doing an Eng1ish course. 4. Based on the table, Ss practice retelling the passage and do a summary.
Draw a conclusion to make Ss achieve a better understanding of the importance of life-long learning. T: In Sun Wen and Ms Tang’s cases, learning helps them in their career and brings them sense of achievement. As for Grandpa Chen, he enjoys learning for his family life. People from all ages and backgrounds benefit from life-long learning.
1. Write a short passage to state the importance of life-long learning. Give at least one example. 2. Preview the grammar point ----third conditional.