Lecture 7 Computational Domain & Solving
Flow Analysis -> Computational Domain The computational domain i
s a rectangular parallelepiped for both the 3D analysis and 2D analysis. Size Boundary Condition Color Setting
Boundary Condition tab and select the Symmetry condition for the corresponding boundaries (At X min, or At X max, etc.)
Periodic Boundary Conditions
ROW OF COOLING PLANE AIRFOILS
Boundary Condition tab and select the Periodicity condition for one of the boundaries in the desired direction (At X min, or At X max, etc.).
2D Plane Flow
If you want to solve a plane (2D) flow problem in the YZ-, or XY-, or XZ-plane, select the corresponding plane flow in the 2D plane flow list on the Boundary Condition tab.
Allows us to select a closed fluid region to define a Fluid Subdomain with fluid type and/or selected fluids other than those specified in Wizard or General Settings. The subdomain is completely recognized after selection of at least one geometrical part (e.g. the pipe inlet) The fluid regions with different fluid types must be separated from each other by solid region(s).
Flow Analysis -> Insert -> Fluid Subdomain
Flow Analysis -> Solve -> Run
Create mesh – If you want to see the complete computational mesh before running the solver, select the Create mesh check box only and after mesh generation visualize with a cut plot. Solver – New calculation – Continue calculation
If you intend to start the new calculation using previous calculation results as an initial condition, select the New calculation, Create mesh, and Take previous results check boxes.
Important! When need to Create (new) Mesh? Even, if the CAD geometry has not changed: when the “topology” of the mesh has changed a new mesh is necessary. The mesh does not only describe geometry, but also logic connections. – Boundary conditions added or removed – Material assignment of a part has changed – Thermal resistances are added or removed No new mesh usually has to be created, if just a value of a property has changed
Solve a set of projects in a prescribed order. You can include projects of any currently open document. Current Session. the solver will share the available memory with the CAD application. If you select the name of the current computer, the solver will run as a standalone process. If you select the name of the computer from the local network, the solver will run on this computer.
Specifying Computers for Network Solving
The network computer must have any of the following EFD.Lab installations: Individual, Client, Server + Client, or Solver Only. The number of calculations to be run (as either on the current computer or in total on network computers) cannot be more than No. of solver Instances specified in the license file.
Suspend or stop the calculation, manually initiate refinement of the existing computational mesh, change the Calculation Control Options and display the current results during the calculation.
– Calculation, Stop to stop the calculation – Calculation, Suspend to suspend or resume the calculation
– File, Save and Close to stop calculation, save the current results and close the monitor. – File, Save Current Results. Results are also automatically saved when the calculation is finished.
During the calculation you can obtain various information about the calculation process. Click Insert and select one of the following items: – Log. Displays the history of the current calculation. – Information. Displays mesh statistics and information. Advice: wait at least for 1 travel, before manual stopping
– Goal Table. Shows the list of all specified goals, their current value, progress of convergence, and the goal’s dispersion (Delta) determined over the analysis interval and the goal’s Criterion
– Preview. Allows you to view the current results on the specified plane.
– Goal Plot. shows the goal convergence diagram, current parameter value, progress of goal convergence, and the goal’s dispersion (Delta) determined over the analysis interval and the goal’s Criterion.
– Min/Max Table. Displays the minimum and maximum parameter values at the current iteration calculated over the entire computational domain. – Refinement Table. Displays information about performed solution-adaptive refinements. – Summary. Displays the project general settings and input data specified by the user – Report. Creates a Word document that includes the project general settings and input data specified by the user (based on the ID_INPUT_DATA template).
Tutorial 5 Cylinder Drag Coefficient