王母娘娘把他们分开 牛郎织女终于 在鹊桥上相会了
The Chinese people believe that the star Vega（织女星）, east of the Milky Way, is Zhi Nu and, at th
e constellation of Aquila（天鹰座）, on the western side of the Milky Way, Niu Lang waits for his wife.
两情若是久长时, 又岂在朝朝暮暮。 Eternal love between us two, Shall withstand the time apart.
1. turn up: appear 2. keep her word: keep her promise 3. hold his breath: wait without much hope 4. drown one’s sadness/sorrow in coffee: drink coffee in order to forget the sadness/sorrow
5. couple: two people who are seen together, especially if they are married. 6. weep: to cry, usually because you are sad.
True or false
1. The girl Li Fang loved and waited for didn’t turn up. But he didn’t lose heart. F The girl Li Fang loved and waited for didn’t turn up. So he lost heart, because he would drown his sadness in coffee.
2. Because her most lovely daughter got married to a human secretly, the Goddess got very angry. T 3. Zhinu was made to return to Heaven without her husband. They were allowed to meet once a year on the seventh day of the tenth lunar month. F
Zhinu was made to return to Heaven
without her husband. They were
allowed to meet once a year on the seventh day of the seventh lunar month. 4. Hu Jin had been waiting for Li Fang for a long time with a gift for him. T
Answer the questions
1. Why did Li Fang feel like a fool? Because he thought that he was waiting without hope/that Hu Jin would not come to meet him. 2. What was Li Fang afraid that Hu Jin was doing? He was afraid that she was with her friends laughing at him.
3. How did Li Fang know the manager wanted to shut the coffee shop? The manager wiped the tables and then sat down and turned on the TV. 4. Why do people want the weather to be fine on Qiqiaojie? People want the weather to be fine so they can meet the one they love.
5. What is the reason why Li Fang
and Hu Jin did not meet on time?
They did not meet on time
because Li Fang waited in the coffee
shop and Hu Jin waited in the tea
6. Why was Li Fang so worried at the
end of the story? He was worried because he had thrown away the gifts for Hu Jin--the chocolates and roses so he had nothing to give her and he thought she would not forgive him.
1. But she didn’t turn up.
1) 来, 出席(某活动)
I’m very happy you turned up so early. 2) 把(收音机等)音量开大一些, 其 反义短语是turn down.
Turn up the radio a little, I can scarcely hear the program. 相关短语:
turn down turn off turn on turn out turn to sb. for help
拒绝 关掉 打开 结果是...... 向某人求助
2. She said she would be there at seven o’clock, and he thought she would keep her word. keep one’s word 意为“守信 用”,其反义词是break one’s word, 即“失信”。 He is a man who always keeps his word.
Don’t break your word,
otherwise, no one will trust you. 注意：keep one’s word和break one’s word中的名词word不能用复数
相关短语： in a word/in short/to be short 简言之；总之
have a word with sb.
have words with sb.
in other words
A gentleman should always __ his __.
A. keeps; word B. keep; word B C. keeps; words D. keep; words
3. It was obvious that the manager of the coffee shop was waiting for Li Fang to leave... obvious adj. 明显的， 清楚的 1) obvious + to + 表示人的名词或代词 Her disappointment was obvious to her friend.
2) It + be + obvious +that-clause It was obvious that she was in danger. 辨析： obvious/apparent/clear ① obvious 是三者中程度最强的， 含有“一目了然” 之意。 It is obvious that you are wrong.
2) apparent 指具有某些明显的迹象的， 侧重与经历推理才能看出结果。 It was apparent from his face that
he was lying.
3) clear 作“明白的，清楚的”讲。指
He seems clear about his plans.
4. When the Goddess of Heaven knew that her daughter was married to a human, she ...
She married with a lawyer. F She married a doctor. T
用marry sb.，而不用marry with sb.
2) 她和一位律师结婚了。 She got married with a lawyer. F She got married a lawyer. F She was married to a lawyer. T
表示婚姻状态, 后接宾语时要用介 词to， 而不用with. 3) 他们结婚三年了。 They have married for three years. They have got married for three years. They have been married for three years.
They got married three years ago. It’s three years since they got married. 注意：marry和get married 都表示短
暂行为，不能和表示一段时间的短语连 用，而have been married则表示婚姻
5. As Li Fang set off for home, he
set off: 动身, 出发; 使（地雷、炸弹）
Tom and his father set off for America yesterday. The bomb set off among the crowd.
A woman’ beauty is set off by her
clothes and jewellery.
set about doing sth. 着手（做某事）
set somebody to do something.
set somebody doing something
6. I don’t want them to remind me of her. remind vi. 提醒，使想起 remind sb. of sth.
remind sb. to do sth. remind sb. that What you said just now ____ me of that American professor. A. mentioned B. informed C. C reminded D. memorized
Go over the texts after class and
try to preview Speaking Task and
Writing Task on Page 46.