1. Do you know that there is a group of people in the world who keep travelling from place to place? 2. Do you know why they are always travelling?
What are they doing?
r />They are wandering all over the world.
Where are they?
They are on a vast grassland.
Do you want to know more about the Romany? Read the text ‘The wandering Romany’ and answer the following questions.
What is this article aimed to do? To explain the history of the Romany and the reasons for their movement.
Careful Reading 1. Where did the Romany first come from? The Romany are thought to have first come from India.
2. What is the Romany’s main characteristic? Their main characteristic is that they do not stay settled for a long period of time, and always move on to another place.
3. What happened to the Romany during the second World War? During World War II, the Romany, along with gays and Jews, lived in terror. The Nazis classified them as a dangerous group, and followed a systematic policy of hunting and killing them in large numbers.
4. What are some modern nations trying to do?
Some modern nations are now trying to help the Romany preserve their history, language and culture.
What did you learn about the Romany after reading?
Romany history, language and population
? probably first from India ? now in many countries, mostly in Europe ? no written history ? about 60 varieties of their own languages ? population about 9.8 million
Romany distinctive culture
? always on the move ? choose not to become citizens in any country they move to ? stay in small groups ? wear traditional clothes and jewellery ? love music ? known for fortune-telling ? know many different trades
The troubles Romany have faced ? were not trusted and were discriminated against because of their clothes and skin ? looked down upon as thieves or pests
? made laws to try to break up their families and to force them to settle, to force men and boys to join the army and to work, to forbid women to have children, to take children away from their mothers and put them into institutions, to forbid them to use the Romany language and to wear their traditional clothes
? were hunted and killed by the Nazis during World War II
Your group is now going to research the history and culture of the Jews, and create a classroom poster showing what you have learnt. The questions below will help you get started.
1. What examples are given in the article to show the Romany are different from groups in other cultures? 2. What examples are given that show European’s prejudice against the Romany throughout history? 3. How will you get information to use in your research?
4. If you find information that doesn’t match, who will decide what to use? 5. Will you each research a different topic (e.g. history, culture and politics) or will you discuss each part in your group and agree on one point of view?
6. How will you divide the work on the poster? Will you all work on it or will one person be in charge of the design? 7. How will you arrange the written parts of your poster? 8. How will you arrange the pictures on the poster?
Planning: 1. Form a group of 4 members. 2. Every member should do research into one related topic: history, culture, politics … to show the Jewish are a distinct cultural group.
1. Discuss the information from various sources on the topic. 2. Decide what to include and what to leave out.
Producing: 1. Draw an outline of your display. 2. Use some examples or statistics to help you. 3. Use some illustrations to make your display attractive. 4. Correct any mistake.
Presenting: Present your display to the class.
1. Find out more information about Jewish people on the Internet. 2. Do exercises in workbook.