The rest of Elias’ story
Revision Elias’ story How did he support Mandela? He joined the ANC Youth League . He helped Mandela__________ blow up some government buildi
Para 1. Elias’ life in prison Fast- reading
1. Where was the prison in which Elias and Mandela lived?
On Robben Island 2. How long did Elias stay in prison? For four years
Careful reading Para1. 1. why was Elias afraid of the prison on Robben Island?
2. For whom did Mandela begin a school? 4. Where and how did the prisoners read books?
5. Did Elias get a degree in prison? Why? 6. Who later studied with the prisoners? What do you think of Mandela?
3. When did Mandela help the prisoners like Elias?
1. why was Elias afraid of the prison on Robben Island? Because it was a prison from which no one escaped.
2. For whom did Mandela begin a school?
For those who had little learning.
3. When did Mandela help the prisoners like Elias?
During the lunch breaks and the evenings when we should have been asleep. 4. Where and how did the prisoners read books? We read books under our blankets and used anything we could find to make candles to see the words
5. Did Elias get a degree in prison? Why?
No, he was not allowed to do that
6. Who later studied with the prisoners? What do you think of Mandela? He allowed the prison guards to join us.
Pare2 Elias’ job
Fast- reading 1. How long was Elias out of work? For 20 years 2. What is Elias’ job now?
Taking tourists around the prison on Robben Island
Para2 . 1. Did Elias find a good job when he was out of prison? What did he do?
2. Why did he lose this job?
3. Why did he get a job again and what did he do ? 4. Did Elias like the job at first and why? 5. What about his attitude to the job later?
1. Did Elias find a good job when he was out of prison? What did he do? Since he was better-educated, he got a job working in an office.
2. Why did he lose this job?
The police found out and told my boss that I had been in prison for blowing up government buildings.
3. Why did he get a job again and what did he do ? Mr. Mandela gave him a job taking tourists around the prison on Robben Island. 4. Did Elias like the job at first and why? No, all the terror and fear of that time came back to him. 5. What about his attitude to the job later? He was proud to show visitors over the prison.
True or false: 1. Elias was afraid of the prison on Robben Island very much. T
2. In the prison, Elias spent the happiest time of his life. F 3. Mandela began a school only for the prisoners. F 4. Because of his hard work, Elias became a good student. T
5. The prison guards were cleverer than Elias, so they passed the exam and got a degree. F
6. Elias got a job working in an office, because he was a young black man. F
7. Elias didn’t have a job for 20 years, during which his wife and children had to beg for food and help from the government. F
8. Elias didn’t like his work as a guide to the prison but later he liked it because of his family’s encouragement(鼓励）. T
You cannot imagine how the name of Robben Island made us afraid.
你很难想象罗宾岛的名字让我们多么的害怕。 imagine doing 想象，设想做某事 你能想象没有电生活吗？ Can you imagine living without electricity?
Have you ever imagined becoming a scientist?
1. He taught us during the lunch breaks and the evening when we should have been asleep. 在午餐的休息时间和晚上我们本应该睡觉的时候他 教我们。 He should have come earlier. You should have written to your mother. should have done 表示本应该做而没有做到。站 在现在的角度上评说过去的事情。 I should have studied harder when I was young.
Mr. White ___ B at 8:30 for the meeting, but he didn’t show up. A. should arrive B. should have arrived C. should have had arrived D. should be arriving
2. asleep 是表语形容词，意为“睡着的”。 sleepy 是形容词，意为“困倦的”。 fall asleep 入睡 be sound /fast asleep 熟睡
3. but they did pass their exam 但他们的确通过了 考试… did pass 为强调结构，强调谓语动词时， 在动词原形前加do, does, did. Do be careful ! He does speak English well ! 昨天在街上我的确碰到了我的老师。 I did meet my teacher in the street yesterday!
4. … the ANC came to power in 1993. come to power = come into power 执政 be in power 当权，执政 Things have changed a lot since he came to power How long has he been in power? （他执政多久了？） 5. the job and the pay from the new South African government was my reward after working all my life for equal rights for the Blacks. reward n. 报酬; 报答;奖赏;
reward v.t. 因为某事给某人报酬 1.reward sb. for sth. 2. in reward 作为回报
reward 一般指通过做某事获得的回 报或者报酬,可以是钱,也可以是物品 或精神鼓励。
award 指的是由评委经过认真考虑 颁发的奖，奖品。 prize 指在比赛中获得的奖项,奖金。
6. But I was not allowed to do that. allow sb. to do sth. be allowed to do sth. They allow me to go out at night. I am allowed to go out at night. allow doing sth. We don’t allow smoking in the room.
7. I felt bad the first time I talked to a group.
The first time I got to Hangzhou, I was attracted by its beauty.. for the first time? I was invited to the party for the first time. 8. I am proud to show visitors over the prison.
Find out the Attributive Clause in this passage. 1. It was a prison from which no one escaped. 2. Mr Mandela began a school for those of us who had little learning.
3. He taught us during the lunch breaks and the evenings when we should have been asleep. When = in the evenings
4. We read books under the blankets and used anything __we could find to make candles to do that.
5. I remembered the beatings and the cruelty of the guards and my friends who had died.
经典题例： which/that/-1.This is the place ______ you visited last week. in which/where 2.This is the place ______ you lived last year. on which/when 3. the day _____ I first came to Changkou High School was Saturday. which/that/-4. the day _____ I will never forget was Saturday. for which/ why 5. This is the reason ____ I was late . which/that/-6. This is the reason ____ he gave me .
He has two sons, and both of _____ them look like him. He has two sons, both of _____ whom look like him.
He has two sons. Both of ____ them look like him.
There are many trees and all of _____ them were planted last year. There are many trees , all of which ____ were planted last year.
1. Products with good q______ uality always share good fame (名声）and sell well. 2. Ted is s_____ elfish boy, who always thinks of himself only, never others. 3. Hawking has d______ evoted his life to science research and has made great achievements.
4. He made great progress in physics under the uidance of his physics teacher. g_____ rinciples 原则） 5. We should obey some basic p_______( in communicating with people.
6. During their stay in camp, they got a ttacked ____ by a wolf but they successfully drove it away.
7. Try to be g______ enerouswhen getting on with your friends; don’t be mean. 8. Be brave enough to show your o_____ pinionwhen you are discussing with your classmates. 9. Many countries in the world are trying to avoid iolence and wars to keep peaceful life. v______ egged 10. The poor girl b_____ for food and clothing from the rich.
1. p______ eriod 时代，时期 n.
2. g_______ uidance指导，领导n.
3. l________ awyer 律师n.
4. v_______ iolence 暴力n. 11. e ______ qual 平等的，相等的adj.
5. o_______ 组织n. rganize组织v. ___________ organization
6. v_______ ote 投票，选举v.；选票，表决n.
7. a______ ttack 攻击，袭击v.
chieve成就，完成；达成（目标等）v. 8. a______
9. l______ egal 法律的adj. 10. s_____ tage阶段，时期，舞台n.
1.devote oneself/all one’s life to sth/doing sth
3. fight for/against(fought, fought)
4. believe in sb
5.be free from 6.be in prison 7.the same...as 8.go to sb for advice 9.offer sb sth=offer sth to sb 10.Be generous with
11. be grateful to sb for sth
12.out of work 13.as soon as possible 14.answer violence with violence 15.as a matter of fact=in fact 16.blow up(blew,blown) 17.be put in prison 18.realize/achieve one’s dream 19.be willing to do 20.be in trouble
21.turn to sb (for help) 22.imagine doing 23.allow sb to do 24.be well educated 25.come to/into power 26.the first time 27.be proud to do 28.set up(set,set) 29.be sentenced to 30.release from 31. in my opinion/ to my understanding 32.lose heart(lost,lost)
1.A great person is someone who devotes his/her life to helping others.
2.He fought for his country to be free from the UK in a peaceful way. 3.He helped the black people get the same rights as white people. 4.The time when I first met Nelson Mandela was a very difficult period of my life.
5.He offered guidance to poor black people on their legal problems. 6.The school where I studied for only two years was three kilometers away. 7.Only then did we decide to answer violence with violence. 8.I became interested in it the first time i read the novel Harry Potter.
9.All the terror and fear of than time came back to me. 10.He was sentenced to death for murder.