What do you know about
Mark Twain? The greatest humorist
of the 19th century in American literature. Also one of the greatest
writer in the world. Do you know any of his works?
Mark Twain: (1835—1910)
The greatest humorist of the 19th century American literature. Novels: The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (1876)(汤姆· 索亚历险记） The Prince and the Pauper (1882)(皇子与贫儿) The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1894)(哈克贝利· 费恩历险 记)
We are going to study the play “The Million Pound Bank Note” by Mark Twain. First, let’s learn something about play. 戏剧包括哪些要素？ 情感，欲望，争斗，妥协。 什么是戏剧冲突？ 戏剧冲突表现在人物性格的冲突上，具 体表现为一系列的动作。
什么是戏剧语言？ 戏剧语言包括人物语言和舞台说明。舞 台说明是写在剧本每一幕的开端，结尾 和对话中间的说明性的文字，内容包括 人物表、时间、地点、服装、道具、布 景、以及人物的表情、动作、上下场等， 它具有增强舞台气氛，烘托人物心情， 展示人物性格，推动情节展开等多种作 用。
Characters （人物）： Henry Adams: a lost American businessman in London “Roderick” and “Oliver”:
two brothers and rich
When and where did the story happen?
In London, the summer of 1903. Where are the characters in Scene 3?
In the old brothers’ home. What happened in Scene 3? The two old brothers gave Henrry a bank note.
Read the play carefully and answer the following questions:
1. Where does Henry Adams come from?
Does he know much about London?
2. What did he do in America? 3. Why is Henry lost in London? How did he get there? 4. How many questions do the brothers ask Henry? What is the brothers’ concern?
5. Why do the brothers give Henry the letter? 6. Can you find the examples of polite requests? 7. Can you guess why the brothers do not permit Henry to open the letter until 2 o’clock?
1. Where does Henry Adams come from? Does he know much about London? Henry comes from San Francisco. No, he doesn’t know London at all. 2. What did he do in America? He worked for a mining company.
3. Why is Henry lost in London? How did he get there? He was sailing out the bay when he was carried out to sea by a strong wind and was survived by a ship for London.
4. How many questions do the brothers ask Henry? What is the brothers’ concern?
Seven. They want to know whether or not Henry is penniless.
5. Why do the brothers give Henry the letter? ? It was his first visit to London so nobody knew him. ? He had no money so he would have to rely on the bank note. ? They thought he looked honest because he asked for a job and not charity.
6. Can you find the examples of polite requests?
?Would you step inside a moment, please? ?Good morning, sir, would you please come in? ?Permit me to lead the way, sir. ?How do you do, Mr…er…? ?I wonder, Mr Adams, if you’d mind... ?May we ask what you’re doing in this country…? ?Now if you’ll excuse me I’ll…
Put the following events in correct order.
(1) Henry wandered in London streets. (2) About a month ago Henry Adams was sailing out of the bay. (3) The next morning he was spotted by a ship. (4) Towards nightfall he found himself carried out to sea by a strong wind. (5) On the ship he earned his passage by working as an unpaid hand.
(2) About a month ago Henry Adams was sailing out of the bay. (4) Towards nightfall he found himself carried out to sea by a strong wind. (3) The next morning he was spotted by a ship. (5) On the ship he earned his passage by working as an unpaid hand. (1) Henry wandered in London streets.
F (fact) or O (Opinion) 1). Henry wants to find a job in London. (F ) 2). Henry is given an envelope by the two brothers. ( F) 3). Henry is an unlucky young man. (O) 4). The servant is called James. ( F ) 5). Henry is foolish to go and meet the two brothers. (O)
Read Act one again, then fill in the following form. The million pound bank note Before Henry coming to London A month ago, Henry sailed out of the bay. ______ He was carried out to sea by a strong wind and was spotted by a ship. _______
He earned his passage by ________ working unpaid, which accounted forhis appearance. __________
He landed in Britain by accident ____________.
pound coming to He lost his way, _________ wandering bank London on the pavement _________. note He went to the American ________ to ______ help. seek embassy
Two ________ brothers wealthy
Henry was _______ to invited
million Henry’s made a bet.
changed _______ enter their house.
Henry was given the
letter with a million
pound bank note.
Retell the story by filling the following passage. Henry was an _________. One day he American had an accident in a bay Luckily he ___. was survived by a ship for _______. London He arrived in London by earning his passage without pay.
He was lost in the street in ____. To ___ rags
his surprise an incredible thing _________
happened. Two rich brothers gave him
a million pound bank-note because
they had made a ____. bet
What do you think of Henry?
Tells the truth to the brothers. It is my first trip here.
Well, to be honest, I have none.
Well, I can’t say that I have
Wants work but not charity. I earned my passage by working as an unpaid hand. Could you offer me some kind of work here? I don’t want your charity, I just want an honest job.
Well, it may seem luck to you but not to me. If this is your idea of some kind of joke, I don’t think it’s very funny. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I think I’ll be on my way.
What kind of persons you think Oliver and Roderick are?
Oliver and Roderick:
rich (servants and not worrying about
giving a stranger a million pound bank-
note), mischievous (prepared to bet one
million pounds just for a bit of fun), good judges of character (they see Henry is honest and proud)