Unit 9 Health care
Aims and demands:
1. Get the students to master the important words and phrases in this unit. 2. Improve the students’ reading ability by teaching the texts.
Lay off, to make matters worse, aim at, consult, fee, purchase, vow, care for, be serious about, clean up, at a/the cost, make ends meet, vow Time Allocations: 3 periods
The First Period
Contents: A HELPING HAND Teaching steps: Step 1 Revision Step 2 Lead-in Step 3 Fast reading Read the first and the last two paragraphs of the text and guess the main idea of the whole text. Step 4 Careful reading Read the passage and fill in the blanks with one to three words. The poverty and the poor health The government’s efforts to fight poverty and poor health care care of low-income families Low-income families cannot afford ① The government encourages health care form to pay for 1________, that is to say, and reduces poverty by designing a health they cannot afford to 2 _____a doctor care project which provides poor patients or 3______medicine. with treatment at 7____or less to help them get treated properly. Low-income families cannot ② The Chinese government is working with provide 4___ for their children. other countries and international Many low-income families organizations to explore and develop a new cannot afford to 5_______. 8_______ for China. Low-income families live on ③ The government encourages people to allowance 6____________. 9_________ in order that other measures to fight poverty will work. ④ The government has vowed to stop the spread of AIDS by providing free 10_______ Keys:1. medical treatment 2. consult 3.purchase/buy 4. a healthy diet 5. purchase medical insurance. 6. given by the government 7. half the cost 8. health care model 9. purchase medical insurance 10. tests and treatment Step 5 Language points
The First Paragraph: 1. a laid-off worker Lay off him! Can’t you see he’s badly hurt? ( 不再做打扰人、讨人厌等的事, 不理会) You must lay off alcohol for a while.(不再做有害的事情)
They were laid off because of the lack of new orders. lay off (解雇；下岗). 2. to make matters worse: worse still，what’s worse, even worse 更虚糟糕的是(可作插入语)， 使事情更糟 To make things worse, he had no money with him. 3. take a bank loan The Second Paragraph: 4. Analyze the sentence “If I had had insurance, …else in my family.”(可结合 P78 语法练习题 1 讲解) 5. at a/the cost of 以……代价 I had a small room at a cost of fifteen cents per night. The war was won at a great cost. We are determined to get our rights at all costs. The Third Paragraph: 6. aim at He aimed (his gun)at the target, fired and missed it.(瞄准、对准) She is aiming at a scholarship. （向某方向努力、力争） My remarks were not aimed at you.（评论、批评等针对某人） We must aim at increasing/to increase exports.（意欲、企图、力求做某事） The Fifth Paragraph: 7. be forced into poverty , fall into poverty, in poverty 8. hospital fees fee n. 1.) (付给律师、医生等的)酬金,服务费[C] I\'m afraid I can\'t afford the doctor\'s fee. 恐怕我付不起给医生的酬金。 2.) 费(如学费、会费、入场费等)[C] They charge a small registration fee. 他们收一点注册费。 3.) 赏金,小账[C] vt. 付费(或小账)给 She feed the waiter. 她付给侍者小费。 9. consult vt. 1.) 与……商量 I'll do nothing without consulting you. 我采取行动之前一定和你商量。 2.) 找(医生)看病;请教 He went to town to consult his doctor. 他进城去看医生。 3.) 查阅(词典、参考书等) He consulted his notebook repeatedly during his speech. 他讲演时不断看他的笔记本。 Consult/refer to/turn to a dictionary. Look up sth. in a dictionary. vi. 1.) 商议,磋商[(+with)] We will consult together about her education. 我们将一起商议她的教育事宜。 2.) 当顾问[(+for)] The retired executive consults for several large companies. 那位退休的总裁在好几家大公司当顾问。 10. purchase：buy 11. put extra pressure on the family
Extra lessons on Sundays put more pressure on Liming, who already has pile of homework. The Seventh Paragraph 12. vow 发誓，起誓；swear (swore, sworn) 极其认真、明确或郑重地说或允诺； （使某人）就（某事）宣誓 In order to meet this challenge, the Chinese government has vowed to provide free AIDS tests for the general public as well as free treatment. She swore that she had never seen it. Are you willing to swear in court that you saw him do it? Witnesses have to swear on Bible (to tell the truth). The Eighth Paragraph 13. care for (its weakest members) He cares for her deeply. (like or love sb.) Who cares for him if his wife dies? ( look after, take care of, wait on ) Would you care for a coffee? (wish or like) I don’t care much for opera.(have a taste or liking for sth/sb) Don’t you care about this country’s future ? I don’t care (about)what happens to him. ——Who do you think will be the next Prime Minister? ——Who cares? The last paragraph: 14. be serious about, be curious about, obvious Are you really serious about him? Do you have sincere affection for him? Is she serious about learning to be a pilot? 15. get treated/burnt/lost/hurt/drunk/killed/married/excited/paid Cleaning women in big cities usually get paid by the hour. 16. Analyze the last sentence.
Step 6 Homework
Word-study exercises on P 77. Notes: make ends meet 使收支两抵；量入为出 When his wife was laid off, he found it hard to make ends meet.
The Second Period
Contents: THE LITTLE MOULD THAT COULD Teaching Steps: Step 1 Revision Check the homework Step 2 Fast reading
Read the title of the passage and put forward the following questions for the Ss to answer after scanning the passage as quickly as possible. 1. What could the little mould do? (The little mould that could treat/cure/fight infection.) 2. Who discovered it? When was it discovered? (In 1928, Sir Alexander Fleming discovered it) 3. What is its name? (It is called penicillin) (In 1928, Sir Alexander Fleming discovered penicillin that could treat/cure/fight infection.)
Step 3 Careful reading
Read the passage carefully and finish Ex 1 (Choose the best answer) on Page 80. Keys: 1. C 2. B 3. D 4. B 5. B 6. C
Step 4 Discussion
Discuss Ex 2(work in pairs) on Page 81. (remind the Ss to pay special attention the words in the box)
Step 5 Language points
1. suffer deadly infections as a result of operations (Para.1) 2. cure, curable, incurable, treat 3. It was not until after the war that he made his most important discovery.(Para2) It was not until World War Two that the importance of Fleming’s discovery was fully recognized.(the last para.) 4. clean up (Para. 3), clear up The workwomen cleaned up (the mess) before they left. （除去垃圾等） Clean up a room for a party. (打扫干净) He cleans up a small fortune. (挣得，赢得) I hope it clears up this afternoon (天气转晴) Has your rash cleared up?（你的皮疹痊愈了吗？） Please clear up the mess in here before you go. (使整洁，清理) 5. be excited about (Para. 4) 6. belong to (Para. 4) 7. Despite their lack of interest, Fleming kept trying to develop the chemical so that it would be safe and effective. (Para. 4) 8. Explain the last sentence of the whole passage.
Step 6 Homework
1. Write a composition about penicillin in the exercise book (Page 81) 2. Do the exercises about vocabulary on Pages 211~212.
The Third Period
Contents: practice Teaching Steps: Step 1 Explain the usages of the following key words:
1. abuse vt. 1.) 滥用,妄用 He abused his power while in office. 他在职时滥用权力。 2.) 辱骂;毁谤 You are always abusing and offending people. 你总是出言不逊得罪人。 3.) 虐待,伤害 Those captives were physically abused. 那些俘虏遭受了肉体上的摧残。 n. 1.) 滥用,妄用[C][U] There is no freedom that is not open to abuse. 任何自由都可能被滥用。 2.) 辱骂[U] She greeted me with a stream of abuse. 她一见我就吐出一连串的污言秽语。 3.) 虐待;伤害[U]
Child abuse is widespread in this country. 这个国家虐待孩子的情况很普遍。 2. insurance n. 1.) 保险;保险契约[U] 保险业[U] I found a job selling insurance. 我找到一份推销保险的工作。 She works in insurance. 她从事保险业。 2.) 保险金额;赔偿金[U][(+on)] He has $100,000 life insurance, which his wife will receive if he dies first. 他有十万美元的人寿保险,如果他先去世,他的妻子将得到这笔钱。 3.) 预防措施;安全保证[U][S1][(+against)] I bought some new locks as an additional insurance against burglary. 我买了一些新锁具以进一步防止盗窃。 4.) 保险费[U] The insurance on my house is very high. 我的房屋保险费很高。 3. allowance n. 1.) 津贴,补贴;零用钱[C] The child has a weekly allowance of five dollars. 这孩子每星期有五元零用钱。 2.) 分配额;允许额[C] His allowance for food is $100. 他拨出一百美元用于购买食物。 3.) 承认;允许[U] the allowance of a claim 对要求权的允准 4.) 认可;容忍[C][U] the allowance of segregation 对种族隔离的容忍 4. pressure n. 1.) 压;按;挤;榨[U] The small box was flattened by the pressure of the heavy book on it. 小盒子被这本厚厚的书压扁了。 2.) 压力;压迫;紧迫;催促[U][C] He works well under pressure. 他在有压力的情况下工作很出色。 3.) 困扰;艰难[U] These old people are unaccustomed to the pressure of modern life. 这些老人不习惯现代生活的紧张压力。 5. significance n. 1.) 重要性, 重要[U] The proposals they put forward at the meeting were of little significance. 他们在会上提出的建议无足轻重。 2.) 意义, 含义; 意思[U][S] He did not understand the significance of my wink. 他没有领会我眨眼的意思。 6. devotion n. 1.) 献身;奉献[U][(+to)] We appreciated his devotion of time and money to the project. 我们感谢他为这一项目花费的时间和金钱。 His devotion to science is well known. 他对科学的献身精神为人熟知。 2.) 忠诚;挚爱,热爱[U][(+to/for)] devotion to music 热爱音乐
Step 2 Check and explain the exercises about vocabulary on Pages 211~212. Step 3 Homework 1. Read the passages again. 2. Learn the language points in this unit by heart.
Unit 9 Health Care 练习 Ⅰ. read the passage on Page 75 and fill in the blanks with one to three words. The poverty and the poor health The government’s efforts to fight poverty and poor health care care of low-income families Low-income families cannot afford ⑤ The government encourages health care form to pay for 1________, that is to say, and reduces poverty by designing a health they cannot afford to 2 _____a doctor care project which provides poor patients or 3______medicine. with treatment at 7____or less to help them get treated properly. Low-income families cannot ⑥ The Chinese government is working with provide 4___ for their children. other countries and international Many low-income families organizations to explore and develop a new cannot afford to 5_______. 8_______ for China. Low-income families live on ⑦ The government encourages people to allowance 6____________. 9_________ in order that other measures to fight poverty will work. ⑧ The government has vowed to stop the spread of AIDS by providing free 10_______ Ⅱ.Choose the best answer. 1. Was it because he was ill ____he asked for leave? A. and B that C that’s D so
2. He ____at mastering French. A purposes B objects C aims D ends 3. It is not necessary to ____a dictionary whenever you meet with a new word. A insult B consult C look up D turn for 4. Who is ______starting the bush fire? A blame B to blame for C blamed D blame for 5. People often want to know what my job is. Often I ____ that question. A ask B am asking C get asked D get asking 6. If you work hard, you’ll _____a good electronic engineer. A have B make C turn D learn 7. He is indeed too fat but _____ that he is an excellent dancer. A. in spite of B as well as C in addition to D owing to 8. If it hadn’t been for the doctor’s care, I wouldn’t _____to you now. A speak B have spoken C be spoken D be speaking 9. ——Who will _____ the farm when you are away? —— Maybe my father, and maybe my mother. I don’t ______. A care about, care B care for, care C care about , care for D take care of, care about 9. ——I was very lucky, it was only a minor infection and it all ______in a week. ——Congratulations on your recovery. A cleaned up B cleared up C took up D brought up 10. ——Why not _____ till Monday? ——I can’t. I have got to hand it in tomorrow. A take off B lay off C carry out D leave behind
11. —— I had a small room at the half cost yesterday. —— That’s really a (n) ________! A sale B fee C allowance D bargain 12. You can’t take her promises _______. She never keeps her word. A serious B seriously C obviously D curiously 13. Although the working mother is very busy, she still ____ a lot of time to children. A. devotes B spends C offers D provides 14. ——Do you know the time which he devotes ___English in a day reaches 10 hours? ——Yes. I know that the key to his success lies in his devotion to English study. A to study B to studying C for studying D in studying 15. Mr. Smith used to smoke ____ but he has abandoned it. A seriously B hardly C badly D heavily 16. It was _____ back home after the experiment. A. not until midnight did he go C until midnight that he didn’t go C not until midnight that he went D until midnight that he didn’t go 17. ____has recently been done to provide more buses for the people, a shortage of public vehicles remains a serious problem. A. That B What C Despite what D Though what 18. These cases show that many complaints do not go _____by the managers of the store, mainly because not all customers report it. A. recorded B recording C to be recorded D to have been recorded Ⅱ. Translate the following passage into Chinese and pay attention to the underlined parts. LiMing was a college student. His family was forced into poverty/fell into poverty. In the first place, his father, who was paid off/lost his job, took a bank loan to pay for their housing. To make matters worse/What’s worse/Worse still, his mother, who didn’t purchase medical insurance, was diagnosed with/came down with/suffered from deadly illness which was infected and couldn’t be cured/treated and he failed to apply for a small allowance again. His heavy school fees put more pressure on his family. He seemed to have no access/chance/opportunity to continue his further education. So he couldn’t help but/had got to quit going to college. Ⅲ. Cloze test. Choose the best answer. Two weeks later, the books arrived, 1 with a set of the complete works of Charles Dickens which I had not 2 . So I returned the Dickens books to you, with a 3 for fifteen pounds and fifty pence for the works of Shakespeare. Two more weeks passed. Then there 4 on my door step a second set of the works of Shakespeare, the same set of novels by Dickens and a six-book set of the plays of Moliere, in French. Since I do not read French, these were of no use to me at all. 5 , I could not afford to post all these books back to you, so I wrote to you at the end of August of last year, instructing you to come and 6 all the books that I did not want, and asking you not to send any other books until further 7 . 1. A. along B. coming C. sent D. together 2. A. ordered B. read C. wanted D. been fond of 3. A. letter B. note C. cheque D. price 4. A. came B. arrived C. were D. seemed 5. A. Therefore B. Unfortunately C. However D. Of course 6. A. gather B. take C. collect D. check 7. A. notice B. information C. letters D. print