Unit 3 Language Points
1. ever since 从那以后 …… I have never seen the professor ever since． 从那以后，我再也没有见过那位教授。 小时候离家后我就再也没有回过家。 I haven’t been back to my hometown (ever)
since childhood. 我30年前离家后就再也没有回过家。 *I haven’t been back to my hometown (ever) since I left 30 years ago. *I left my hometown 30 years ago and haven’t been back there (ever) since.
【归纳】ever since 多用于现在完成时态; from then on多用于一般过去时态 【经典例题】 A Ever since they_____to each other. A. haven't written B. hadn't written C. didn't write D. don't write
2. persuade vt．劝说，说服 1) persuade sb to do sth =persuade sb into doing sth 说服某人做某事 你怎么能说服他改变主意? How can you persuade him to change his mind? →How can you persuade him into changing his mind？
2) persuade sb not to do sth =persuade sb out of doing sth 说服某人不要做某事 最后，我们说服她不要坐飞机旅行。 Finally, we persuaded her not to travel by plane. →Finally, we persuaded her out of traveling by plane．
我劝他戒烟但是他不听。 advised (tried to persuade) I _____________________________him to give up smoking but he wouldn’t listen.
①How did it come about that you should
have persuaded her not to attend
去参加) the party?
② He succeeded
in persuading her to give up
（劝服她放弃） her part-time job.
? ? ? ? ? vi.毕业; n.毕业生;adj.研究生的 他去年从大学毕业。 *He graduated from university last year. Vt. He was graduated from Zhejiang University in 2000. ? N. ? a college graduate大学毕业生 ? a graduate student研究生
4．schedule n. 1) 时间表;课程表;(火车等的)时刻表 The teacher posted the schedule of classes. 2) 计划表;日程安排表 They have planned a tight schedule of travel. 他们安排了一个紧凑的旅行日程。
1)ahead of schedule提前 We arrived two minutes ahead of schedule. 我们提前两分钟到达。 2)behind schedule晚了，比预定时间晚
3)on schedule准时 The train arrived on schedule. 火车准时到达。
? 我昨天在街上看见了她。 ? When ? Where ? Who ? When was it that you saw her in the street? ? Where was it that you saw her yesterday? ? Who is it you saw yesterday in the street? was it that they launched Shenzhou ?Why ____________ VII? 为什么要发射神舟7号？
11. insist vt. 坚持; 坚决主张; 坚决认为; 1) insist on doing sth 坚持做某事 他坚持立即回去。 He insisted on leaving right now. 我们坚持立即送他去医院。 being sent insisted on him __________ We _________ to hospital at once.
2）insist that 主语 + (should) + do sth 坚持要求; 坚决主张; He insisted that we (should) accept these gifts. 他一定要我们收下这些礼物。 3) 坚决认为, 表达“坚持一种说法、看法 或事实”时，宾语从句使用陈述句语序 和相应的时态。 她坚持认为他错了。 She insisted that he was wrong.
【经典例题】 The old worker insisted that he _____ old, and _____ back to the working post again. A wasn’t; be sent B wasn’t; was sent C be not; send D isn’t; sent 【答案】A
4．determine vt. 决定[+to-v][+(that)] 她决定就在那天下午走。 She determined to go that very afternoon.
1)determined adj．坚决的，有决心的 be determined to do决心去做 a determined look一个坚决的表情
我决定不采纳他们的建议。 I was determined not to follow their advice．
她很果断，总是能得到她想要的。 She is a determined woman, who always gets what she wants.
7. make up one’s mind 下决心 我决心帮助这位学生学好英语。 I made up my mind to help the student to learn English well. 他们决心帮助那个可怜的妇女。 They made up their minds to help the poor woman.
3.give in屈服，让步 Although he was ill,he stuck to his work and refused to give in.他虽然病了，但仍然坚持工 作，不肯示弱。 【短语链接】
give in to sb./sth.向……让步
teaching only two years ago.
gave in to
(2)The parents shouldn’t always their children.(父母不应该老是向孩子屈服。）