Unit 1 Living well
1. Learn some important expressions and sentence patterns. 2. Learn the writing skills of a letter to an architect.
adj. 独立自主的 1. ______________ conduct 2. ______________ n. ＆ vt. 行为；管理 adequate 3. ________________ adj. 足够的；充分的 certificate 4. ______________ n. 证书 architect 5. ______________ n. 建筑师 6. ______________ n. 地下室 basement dignity 7. ______________ n. 尊严 exit 8. ______________ n.出口;离开;退场 resign 9. ______________ vi. ＆ vt. 辞职 approval 10. ______________ n.赞成；认可
Task 1 look at the pictures and discuss the problems
that people with walking difficulties might have in a cinema.
Task 2 Read the text and choose the best answer.
1. From the text we know that Alice Major advised
the architect to consider ______ things.
A.two B. three C. four D. five 2. If the lifts are at the back of the cinema in cold, unattractive areas, this will make disabled people feel they are ___ other customers.
A.more important than
B.as important as C.twice as important as D.less important than
3. What does the word“ hearing– impaired” mean in Chinese? A.耳聋的 B. 耳鸣的 C. 耳聪的 D. 耳障的 4.Which of the following is not true? A.The buttons in the lift should be easy for people in wheelchairs to reach. B. There should be earphones beside some seats in a special area. C. There should be toilets for the disabled near the entrance to the cinema. D. There should be car parking spaces for the the disabled and elderly.
5. The writer wrote the letter to _____. A.remind the architect of the disabled B.protect the rights of the disabled C.show the attitude of being treated equally to the able-bodied people D.all of the above
Task 3 Discuss the questions:
1. What is the purpose of the first paragraph of the letter? To tell the reader the purpose of the letter.
2. Why do you think the writer has numbered her suggestions and used italics? To organize the ideas and to make it easier for the reader to understand and remember five suggestions
3. What is the purpose of the last paragraph? To finish the letter in a polite way and to put forward some reasons why the architect should consider the writer’s suggestions.
Task 4 Read the text carefully and match the
main idea of each paragraph.
Para.1 Para.2 A. Earphones are necessary besides seats for hearing-impaired people. B. Seats can be raised for people to see the screen easily. C. Lifts should be offered to all parts of the cinema. D. The purpose of writing the letter. E. Reasons why the designer should take the disabled into consideration. F. Toilets should be convenient for disabled customers to reach. G. Car parking spaces are important especially for the disabled customers.
Para.4 Para.5 Para.6
1. I read in the newspaper that you are to be the architect the new Bankstown cinema. 今天我从报上了解到，您将成为班克斯敦新电影院 的建筑设计师。 be to do sth. 表示根据义务, 约定等可能或注定要 发生的事情。 All these things are to be answered for. 所有的事情都需要负责。
2. in particular 特别；尤其；格外
In particular I wonder if you have considered the
following things: …
Is there anything in particular you’d like for supper?
【拓展】be particular about 对??过于讲究；挑剔
(1) 我姐姐对穿着很讲究。 My sister is particular about her dressing. ____________________________________________ (2)那是一场不错的的音乐会，我尤其喜欢最后的那 首歌。 It was a good concert, and I enjoyed the last song in ____________________________________________
3. access n. / vt. 接近; 进入; 使用
Adequate access for wheelchairs.
为乘坐轮椅的人进入电影院提供宽敞的通道。 access to (1) (接近/进入某地的)通路/方法 (2)(使用某物/ 接近某人的) 机会/权利 The only access to the farmhouse is crossing the fields. 进入农家的唯一通道是穿越农田。 Only the high officials have access to the building. 只有高级官员才有机会进入那个建筑。
【拓展】 accessible adj. 可接近的; 可进入的; 可使用的
常用be accessible to 可接近??的; 可进入??的
【即学即练】 (1) Because of the snow, the village was not _____ by car. A.acceptable B. appropriate C. available D. accessible (2) Access ______ the garden is through the kitchen. A.at B. to C. for D. with
4.The buttons in the lifts should be easy for a person in a wheelchair to reach . 电梯上的按钮应该让坐轮 椅的人容易够到。 在“主语 + be + easy/hard/difficult… + 不定式(vt.)” 结构中，如果主语是不定式的逻辑宾语，则不定式 主动 用 _____形式。如不定式为不及物动词，须加上介词。 The question is difficult to answer. The room is pleasant to live in.
This machine is very easy____.Anybody can learn to use it in a few minutes. A.operating B.to be operating C.operated D.to operate 【解析】选D。句意:这台机器很容易操作,任何人在几分 钟之内都能学会使用它。在“be+性质形容词+不定式” 结构中,应用不定式的主动形式表示被动意义。常见的此 类形容词有easy, hard, difficult, interesting, heavy, pleasant,comfortable,safe,dangerous,impossible等,该类形 容词说明的是不定式的性质。
5. bare adj. 裸露的，空的，没有的 be bare of … 没有?? (1)我们经过一片荒凉的山地。 We passed by a bare mountain. (2) 这所房子里没有家具。 The room is bare of furniture.
A letter of suggestion
A letter of suggestion normally has five parts. 1. The Heading This includes the address, line by line, with the last line being the date. Skip a line after the heading.
2. The Greeting
The greeting always ends with a comma. The
greeting should be formal, beginning with the word
“dear”. 3. The body It is also known as the main text. Generally speaking, the body includes three parts.
The first part (usually the first paragraph) tells the
receiver that you are writing this letter to make
suggestions on something, and the main part tells clearly what your suggestions are. The last part (usually the last paragraph) asks the receiver to consider your suggestions. Don’t forget to encourage the receiver to take your suggestions. Skip a line between paragraphs, especially in typed or printed
4. The complimentary close This short expression is always a few words on a single line. It ends with a comma. The
complimentary close begins with a capital letter
and ends with a comma.
5.The signature line Skip from one to three spaces, and type in the signature line the printed name of the person signing the letter.
Sign the name in the space between the close and the
signature line, starting at the left edge of the
The Heading The Greeting The body The complimentary close
The signature line
Write a letter of suggestion to the architect.
He laughs best who laughs last.