What is first aid?
a temporary form of help First aid is ____________________ given to someone who suddenly gets injured falls ill ___________ or
_____________ before a doctor can be found.
Brainstorming: What words can you think of when you talk about accidents and first aid?
a snake bite
a sprained ankle
a broken arm
> bled bled n. 血;血统
bloody adj. 出血的;血染的;血腥的 sprain vt. 扭伤 sprained adj. 扭伤的 choke vt. & vi. (使)噎住;(使)窒息
Discuss what kind of first aid you should give in the following situations and then act them out.
Press the wound; Wrap bandage.
Pinch the nostrils Cool the injury and press with ice. upward. Fasten with Cool the bridge bandage. 5 of the nose.
Look at the picture on the left. What has happened? The girl has pulled boiling water onto herself. Can you guess what will happen to the girl? She will get bad burns.
How will her mother deal with the burn?
First Aid For Burns
> In which order are these topics covered in the text? Number them from 1 to 5.
_____ the three types of burns 3
_____ what to do if someone gets burned 5
_____ the functions of skin 1 _____ the symptoms of burns 4
_____ how we get burns 2
Fill in the blanks( based on the 1st Para.)
1. Our body’s largest organ:_____ skin
2. We have three ______ of the skin. ______ layers
keeps warm cool 3. Your skin ______ you _____ or _____.
prevents 4. It ________ your body ______ from losing water ______ ______.
5. It gives you your sense _____ touch . _____ of _____
Answer the questions
(based on the whole text)
1. What can cause burns? Hot liquids, steam, fire, radiation, the sun, electricity and chemicals. 2. Why should you put cold water on a burn? The cold water stops the burning process, stops the pain and prevents or reduces swelling. 3. Why doesn’t the third degree burn hurt? Because the nerves are damaged. If there are no nerves, there is no pain.
Types & characteristics of burns
(based on page 34) 1. Types 2. Characteristics
First degree burns
of the skin.
layer top______ and mildly painful. swollen ______.
pressed ______. Blisters
________ watery surface
Second degree burns Third degree 10 burns
top Affect both ________, Extremely second the ____ & red and painful. the ______ layer. all swollen.
three Affect_____ Swollen; Black and tissue ________ ______ can ____ pain. white and charred layers of _______. be seen. the skin.
Little ______ or no
According to the form above, label these pictures with
first degree burns, second degree burns and third degree
second degree burns first degree burns third degree burns
Decide whether the first aid treatment is Right (R) or Wrong (W). (based on page 35)
1. When someone is burned, you should place some ice on his wound. W
2. We should put damp cloths on the second degree burns. R 3. We shouldn’t break the blisters, or they will make the wound infected. R 4. Sometimes, we can put oil or ointments on burns to stop the infection. W
5. If burns are on the face, we should make the 12 victim sit up. R
How will her mother deal with the burn? 1. ________ clothing and jewellery near the burns. Take off
Summary of first aid treatment
2. ______ the burns with cool water. Cool
3. ______ cool, clean wet cloths on the burns. Place 4. ______ the burned area gently. Dry
Cover 5. ______ the burned area with a dry clean bandage. Keep 6. ______ the burned area higher than the heart, if ______
to 7. ______ the victim ____the doctor or hospital, if Get
Recite the new words and expressions of this unit.
Find out the new phrases and difficult
sentences in the text.
English weekly Part 2.