Language points & exercises
1). mean doing sth. “意味着”主语通常是指事物的词。
1. Festival are meant to celebrate important events. 节日就是庆祝重要事件的活动。
This means staying here lo
2). mean to do sth. “打算或企图做某事”
What do you mean to do with it? 3). mean sb. to do sth. “打算让某人做某事”，也可以用于被动 结构: He was meant to carry out the task
4). be meant for
He was meant for a painter.
In some parts of London, missing a bus means _____ for another hour. A. waiting B. to wait C. wait D. to be waiting
2. celebrate vt. (1) 庆祝；祝贺 celebrate Christmas / one’s birthday / a victory (2) 赞扬；称颂 The names of many heroes are celebrated by the poets. 词语辨析：celebrate, congratulate celebrate后常接日期,事情或场合 congratulate后常接人 表示为某事而祝贺某人congratulate sb. on/upon sth. congratulate you on your marriage. 有时还表示私自庆幸的意思。 I congratulated myself on my escape from being
3.take place 发生；举行
① The performance didn’t take place after all. 演出终于没有进行。 ② Was there anybody passing by when the accident took place? take place发生,举行; 侧重安排或计划而发生的事, 带有“非偶然”的意思
英语中表示“发生”的词或短语均为不及物，不用于被动 语态。主语为所发生的事。take place, happen, occur, come about, break out
1) The wedding will take place tomorrow. 2) What has happened to her？ 3) It happened to rain that day. 。
4) The traffic accident occurred on Wednesday
happen “发生”，普通用词，含义很广。常指具体客观事物或 情况的发生，含有“偶然”的意味。当以具体事物、事件作主 语时，happen 和 occur可以换用；但当happen用作“碰巧” 之意时，不能用occur代替，但可以与come about 互换。 . occur “发生，出现”,较正式用词，指事情偶然地、意外地发生
5) The Second World War broke out in 1939. break out (火灾、战争、疾病)突然发生、爆 发
6) How does it come about that you were caught by the police? come about “发生”, 常指偶然发生的事情。且 很多时候与how 连用。与happen 用法较接近
Great changes ___ in the rural areas in the last two decades. A. have taken place B. took place Pay C. have been taken place atten D. are happening -tion!
take place 不能用于被动语态中，句中短语 in the last two decades 可确定句子的时态为现在完
4. starve v. suffer or die from hunger 挨饿; 饿死
He said he would starve rather than beg for food.
starve to death
be starved of starve for
long for; be in great need of
The motherless children were starved of/ were starving for affection. 渴望母爱
starvation n. starvation die of ____________
5. --- a year of plenty. plenty n. 富裕 days/years/...of plenty 富裕的日子/年月 ——Have we got enough apples? ——Yes, there are plenty in the basket. plenty of +复数n/ 不可数n
Taking plenty of exercise every day keeps you
6. ...or satisfy satisfy vt. 满足,使…满意; satisfy sb.
satisfied a. 感到满意的; be satisfied with
satisfying a. 令人愉快的 satisfaction n. 满意; to one’s satisfaction
satisfactory a. 令人满意的
Nothing can satisfy him except the best.
sb. be satisfied with 对…满意
She’s not satisfied with her new house. satisfying: giving pleasure令人愉快, 主语 是不定式, 常用于句型: It’s satisfying to do sth. 做…...使人满意
She bought a satisfactory computer—it’s cheap and of h quality. satisfactory, 指客观的事物或主观的表现达到要求而令人 意
7. please vt.使愉快，取悅… It is difficult to please everybody. Our aim is to please the customers.
pleased pleasing pleasant pleasure
(人) 高兴的…愉快的 (物) 令人愉快的 (物) 好听的，令人舒服的 高兴的事情
pleasant pleased to hear her ___________voice. We are _________ I pleasure to us. is such a ___________ I was very _________ pleased to hear the news. pleasing The news was very ___________ to us.
8.They offer food, flowers and gift…. offer, provide, supply
offer 主动提供。offer sth to sb; offer sb sth
provide 供给（所需物，尤指生活必需品）。 provide sth (for sb); provide sb with sth.
supply: 供应（所需要或所要求之物）。 supply sth to/for sb; supply sb with sth
offer When I meet difficulty, my roommates will_____me help. 他们悬赏找回丢失的珠宝。 offered reward for the return of the lost jewels. They_______a 政府得提供这些老人们吃穿。 provide The government need to_________these old people with food and clothes.
每个月都得供应足够的电。 supplied Electricity should be _________enough every month.
9. The festival of Halloween had its origin as an event in memory of the dead. 万圣节前夕的盛会也是源自纪念亡者的祭事。 origin n. 起源；源头 the origins of the life on earth 地球上生命的起源。
in memory of = to the memory of sb The museum was built in memory of the famous scientist. in honor of in charge of in search of sb. / sth.
10.They dress up and try to frighten people. dress up 盛装打扮，化装打扮 You don’t have to dress up. Come as you are. Children love dressing up in Halloween.
dress作及物动词时, 不接clothes之类的表示衣服的名词, 而是接表示人的句词或代词, 意思是“给…穿衣服”。 当表示自己穿衣服时, 则用反身代词, 如：
Wake up children and dress them. 唤醒孩子,给他们穿上衣服。
get dressed Harry up and get dressed.
1. She is _______ wearinga gold ring. dressed 2. She hurriedly _______ her son and took him to the kindergarten. put on 3. Remember to ________ your coat. It is cold outside.
11. Some people might win awards for--award. n. 奖, 奖品 v. 判给, 授予award sb. sth. award后接双宾语 award sb. a metal 授予某人奖章
reward 奖赏,回报,给…报酬, 不能接双宾语;
She rewarded herself with a cup of coffee after a whole morning’s hard work.
12. admire sb/sth 钦佩，羡慕 They admired our garden.
admire sb. for sth We all admire him for his courage and bravery. 我们都钦佩他的勇气和胆识
13. look forward to (doing) sth. 意为期待 着(做)某事, 其中的to是介词. Boys and girls are looking forward to
He’s looking forward to hearing from
his pen pal.
14. as though= as if 好像，仿佛
1. 虚拟语气(从句所用的时态比前面真实句所用的时态 倒退一个时态.)
He behaved as if/ though nothing had happened.
He talks as if/though he knew everything.
He looks as if he were ill. 2. 陈述语气表(示很可能的事实就用陈述语气,)
It looks as if/ though it is going to rain.
15. People love to get together to eat, drink and have fun with each
组为have a good time, enjoy
oneself. 短语有have fun ( in ) doing sth.
根据首字母提示，用单词的适当形式填空。 1. The children were wearing traditional national n________ dress. 2. What do you hope to gain g________ from the course? 3. Missing a meal once in a while never did anyone any harm h________. 4. Mexico gained its i___________from Spain independence in l821. 5. On a________ at the police station, they arrival were taken to an interview room.
6. Jack has passed his examination, so celebrate we’re going out to c________. 7. A local poor peasant l________ the led soldiers through the forest. 8. There is no doubt that the basic needs of the people should be satisfied s________ first. starved to death 9. Whole communities s________ during the long drought. 10. Her unhappy childhood was the origin o________ of her problems later in life.
11. The school is widely a________ admired for its excellent teaching. 12. A crowd g________ gathered to see what had happened. 13. They have authorized ________ awards of ?900 to each of the victims. custom 14. In my village, it is the c________ for a girl to take her mother’s name 15. She’s dreaming she’ll meet a tall, dark handsome h________ man by chance in the street.
1. We’ve found English easy to learn it. 2. She looks forward every spring to walk in the flower-lined garden. walking 3. Peter is a good fun and we all enjoy being with him. 4. He dare not speak English before such a crowd, dare not he? 5. He always keeps his words; he is a man words of his word. 6. There are a plenty of eggs in the basket. 7. You like sports, when I like reading. while
选择适当的单词或短语并用其正确形式填空。 agriculture, decorate, energy, religion, society, play tricks on in memory of ,look forward to, day and night, as though, dress up, took place, in the shape of
1. You don’t need to ________, dress up just to go to the pub — jeans and a T-shirt will do. 2.The police may never discover what took ________ place that night, because Mr Smith, the only eyewitness, died last night. decorating 3. I hate the smell of paint when I’m ________. in the shape of a police 4. Luckily, help arrived _____________ officer.
agriculture, energy, religion, society, play tricks on, in memory of ,look forward to, day and night, as though, play tricks on
5. It’s acceptable to ___________ your friends on April 1st. 6. The government set up a monument ________ in memory o the heroes who died in the war. looking forward to hearing from you. 7. I’m ______________ as though he hadn’t known 8. He behaved ________ anything about it. 9. Those workers worked ___________ day and night to finish the task.
agriculture energy, religion, society 10. The country’s economy is mainly agricultural ________ and depends on crops like coffee. social 11. Most British schools organize ________ events for the students. 12. I tried aerobics (有氧运动) but it was energetic for me. too ________ religious and goes to church 13. He’s deeply ________ twice a week.