Listen to the tape and pay more attention to the words you can’t pronounce correctly.
Look at the following pictures to learn more ab
out the following topic.
present in addition to statuette gramophone critic therefore
v.赠送，颁发 除……之外 n.小雕(塑)像 n.留声机 n.(文艺)批评家 adv.因此，所以
Read the passage and answer the questions. 1. What are Grammy Awards?
They are awards given for
important achievements in records
2. In what way are the Grammys similar to
the film Academy Awards (the Oscars)?
They are awards given for the most
important achievements in the music world as the Oscar are given for the
most important achievements in the
3. Is it easy or difficult for the musicians from the rest of the world to win a Grammy prize? Why? It is very difficult. Because there is a separate set of awards for Latin music, called the Latin Grammys, but only two awards for world music.
1. present v. 赠送，颁发（礼物、奖品等）
The sword was presented by the family to the museum. ?市长出席会议并颁发了奖品。
The mayor attended the meeting and presented the prizes.
present表示“赠给”，容易使人想到 give而误用“present sb. sth.”双宾语结 构。present只能用“present sb. with sth.” 或“present sth. to sb.”结构。 [译] 我赠给他一本词典。 [误] I presented him a dictionary.
[正] I presented a dictionary to him.
[正] I presented him with a dictionary.
present adj. 现在的；出席的 n. [C] 礼物，礼品；[U]目前，现在
[前置定语] 现在的，目前的 [后置定语] 出席的，到场的
2. in addition to (=besides) 除此之外 ?除了英语之外，她还会说三种外语。
She speaks three foreign languages in addition to English. 3. in the shape of 以……的形状 ?糖果装在一个心形的盒子里。
The candies were contained in a box in the shape of a heart.
4. as they used to be 是一个省略句，其 中be不可以省略，若是其他动词则可 以省略。 ?中国不在是以前的样子了。 China is not what she used to be. He doesn’t like fish but he used to.
5. therefore adv. 因此，所以 ?他摔坏了腿，因此不能走路了。 He has broken his leg and therefore he can’t walk. ?我病了，所以没能来。 I was ill, and therefore could not come.
1. 格莱美音乐奖每年都会在美国颁发 一次，授予那些在音乐记录中做出 重大贡献的人。
The Grammy Awards are _________ presented every year, which are given for important achievements in recorded ________ music.
The awards depend on how many ____ each artist receives from votes members of the Recording Academy. 3. 除了大奖本身外，颁奖典礼上还有艺 术家的表演。 _____ In _______ addition _____ to the awards themselves, there are also performances by famous artists at the ceremony.
4. 如果你赢了葛来美大奖，你就会被赠 与一个留声机造型的小雕像。 If you win the Grammy Awards, you statuette in will be __________ presented a __________ the _______ shape of a ___________. gramophone 5. 像一位评论家所说，获奖者的许多唱片 都卖给了“年轻的小女孩们和家庭妇女 们”。 The _______ albums of the winners sell to “teenage girls and housewives”, as one _______ critics said.
6. 有单独为拉丁乐设立的奖项，称 为拉丁格莱美 奖。 of There is a ________ separate ______ set ______
awards for Latin music, called the
Review the language points.