unit 2 using language Standard English and dialects
Warming-up and pre-reading
Can you think of other dialects in China?
tonghua Chinese dialects(......) What about English? Do you think there are some dialects in English?
While-reading I: Skimming Find out the topic sentence of each paragraph.
Para 1: There’s no such thing as standard English.
Para 2: American English has many dialects(whose words and expressions are different from “standard English”.).
Para 3: Geography also plays a part in making dialects.
While-reading II: Scanning for details Task 1 Choose the best answer
1. From the text, we know that ________ is standard English. A．British English B．American English C．the English spoken in Australia D．no English
2. People think the English spoken on TV and the radio is standard English, because ________. A．people believe those who reported the news speak excellent English B．they speak the same English C．they speak it to all the people D．there are some dialects on TV and the radio
3. How many dialects of American English have been listed in this text? A. Two B. Three C. Four D. Five What are they? midwestern southern African American Spanish dialects
4. Which of the following is NOT the reason for the dialects in America? A．People have come from all over the world. B．Some people live in the mountains. C．Geography plays a part in making dialects. D．The USA is a large country.
Task 2 Find out answers to the following questions
1. Do you think the English spoken on TV or the radio is Standard English? Why? No. On TV and radio we can hear differences in the way people speak.
2. What is a dialect? When people use words and expressions different from the “standard language”, it is called a dialect.
3. Why do people from both northwestern and southeastern of U.S. speak with almost the same dialect?
Because when Americans moved from one place to another, they took their dialects with them.
Task 3 True / False
1. People from neighboring towns all speak the same language. F speak a little differently 2. Some people who live in the mountains of the eastern USA speak with an older kind of English dialect. T 3. Once Americans move, they can’t recognize each other’s dialects any more. F they still recognize and understand each other’s dialects.
What do you think of standard English? Is it necessary to make a standard English?
You can use the following sentences:
1). I think it necessary to have a standard English
2). In my opinion, making a standard English is necessary for the following reasons. First,… 3). I agree with the idea that we should make a standard English because …
1. standard (1) adj. 标准的，第一流的 a car of standard size a standard writer (2) n. 标准、水准、规范 eg. We should try to raise the standard of living. (提高生活水准) on a standard 根据某一标准
The mountains are not high____ world standard. A. by B. at C. to D. on
2. Believe it or not, there’s no such thing as standard English. believe it or not 相当于一个副词，通常用于口 语， 意为“信不信由你，我说的是真的”。 eg. Believe it or not, she cheated in the exam. no such thing as… 没有…这回事 such…as… 象…一样的…;诸如…之类的… I don’t like such a person as Mary. 译：信不信由你，世上没有免费的午餐。 Believe it or not, there is no such thing as a free lunch in the world.
3. This is because in the early days of radio, those who reported the news were expected to speak excellent English. 这是因为在早期的电台节目里，人们期望新 闻播音员讲极好的英语。 注：这是一个主从复合句。 主句是This is, 从句是由because引导的表语 从句: those were expected to speak excellent English. 在表语从句中又含有一个由who引 导的定语从句，修饰表语从句的主语those。 译：那是因为他不喜欢咖啡。 That is because he doesn't like coffee.
4. However, on TV and the radio you will hear differences in the way people speak.然而，在电视 和收音机里，你也会听出人们在说话时的差异。 on TV and the radio 注：the way(方式)后面接定语从句时, 关系代词用 that/in which或不用关系代词。 eg. I did it in the way that/in which you taught me. I don’t like___ you speak to her.
A. the way
C. the way which
B. the way in that
D. the way of which
5. neighbor n. 邻居，邻国，邻近的人（物） neighboring adj. 邻近的，毗邻的，附近的 neighboring towns 毗邻的城镇 a neighboring house 附近的房子 6. Geography also plays a part in making dialects. 地理位置对方言的产生也有影响。 play a part in=play a role in=have an effect on 在……担任角色或起作用 play a (an) leading/major/important/active part in 译：中国在当今世界发挥着重要的作用。 China plays an important part in the world today.
7. When Americans moved from one place to another, they took their dialects with them. 当美国人从一个地方搬到另一个地方时，他们 也就把他们的方言随着带去了。 注：another泛指三个或三个以上的人或物中没有确定 的另一个。 another+数字+名词= 数字+more+名词 eg. another 3 apples= 3 more apples the other则指已知的两个人(物)中的另一个。 others或other+名词,泛指“别的人或别的物” the others或the other+复数名词指“一定范围内的其 余的人或物”。 搭配：one…the other… some…others…
another others the other the others another 1). I can’t finish the work on time. I need ______ two hours. = I need two more hours. the other 2). I have two brothers. One is Jim,_______ is Jack. others 3). Some cleaned the window, ______ swept the floor. 4). Two boys will go to the zoo, and the others will _____ __ stay at home.
8. Words about direction ① southeast, northeast, southwest, northwest, south, north, east, west 是名词.
S ② southern, northern, western, eastern, northeastern, southeastern, southwestern, northwestern 是形容词.