外研版 高二年级(选修7) Module 3
Read the passage quickly and then give the main idea of each paragraph. Para 1:
birth and his schooling (education) and his childhood as well. Para 2: Charles Dickens’ work or an experience, which has influenced his fictions and stories.
Para 3: Charles Dickens’ writing experiences. Para 4:
Charles Dickens’ influence and contributions.
Read the passage carefully and answer these questions. 1. What experiences from his own life did Dickens use in his novels?
His own father was in prison and he worked in a factory as a child; he was also very poor.
2. What new information have you learnt about Oliver Twist? Students’ own answer. 3. How did Dickens’ novels help to improve English society? They made people aware of child poverty and made them want to do something about it.
1. Some people believe that he had a heart
It is believed that he had a heart
He is believed to have a heart attack…
2. a huge amount of 大量的(+不可数名词) Dickens always had a huge amount of energy. a quantity of +不可数名词/可数名词 plenty of +不可数名词/可数名词
a lot of +不可数名词/可数名词 a great deal of +不可数名词 a good many +可数名词
3. bring sth. to the attention of sb. 使某人关注某事 It brought child poverty to the attention of the public. 这件事使大众关注儿童贫困。
The matter was first brought to my
attention earlier this year.
相关短语： pay attention to draw/call attention to sth. focus attention on sth. divert/distract/draw attention from sth. come to sb’s attention escape sb’s attention attract/catch/get sb’s attention get attention
1) She waved to attract the attention of the waitress. 她摆手以此来引起服务员的注意。 2) Children often misbehave in order to get attention. 小孩经常用不礼貌的行为来引起注意。 3) The purpose of the article was to draw attention to the problems faced by single parents. 这个文章的目的引起大家注意摆在单亲 父母面前的问题。
4) an attempt to draw attention away from the serious economic problems that face our country. 试图将大家的注意力从我们国家面 临的严重的经济问题转移开 5) This fact had not escaped the attention of the authorities. 这个事实并没有逃脱掉权威人士的 注意。
4. to throw your arms round someone
1) A young woman screamed and threw
her arms round his neck.
2) She held her baby in her arms.
3) She took him by the arm and pushed him out of the door.
4) He folded his arms and leaned back in
5) He stood there, with his arms folded.
6) arms 武器
appeal to arms 诉诸武力
take up arms against sb.
under arms 在战备状态
5. What’s going on? (to happen) go on working go on with performance She went on to become a successful surgeon.
Go on to the next question when you’ve finished. As the days went on, it grew colder.
She’s going on (for) 17.
Translate the following sentences into Chinese. (1) His father was put in prison because he could not pay his bills. 他的父亲被送到监狱因为他付不 起账单。
(2) He was very unhappy, but later in life, he was able to write very well about poverty because he has actually experienced it himself. 他非常的不幸，但是后来，他能够 很好的诠释贫穷都是因为他切实的 亲自的经历过它。
(3) Dickens always had a huge amount of energy. 狄更斯总是很有精力。
(4) However, it brought child poverty to the attention of the public, and for this reason alone it is a very important novel. 但尽管如此, 这部小说使儿童贫困问 题得到关注, 就这一点而言它已是很 重要的一部小说。