War and peace
Listening and Everyday
English Speaking and
1. When and where did the German War planes begin to drop
bombs? At 4 p.m. on 7th September 1940 on London. 2. When did the second attack stop? 4:30 a.m. the following morning. 3. What were the attacks known as? The Blitz (lightning war).
4. What was the result of the war?
450 killed, up to 200,000 Londoners found shelter from the bombing in underground stations.
Complete the sentences with the verbs in the past simple.
break fall feel fly shake think
shook 1. I remember that the house _____ during the bombing. flew very low. 2. The planes _____
3. A lot of bombs ____ fell on the docks. 4. A lot of people _______ thought the
underground would be the safest place.
5. They _____ broke the chains on the doors. 6. You ___ felt much safer in the underground.
Listen to the tape and answer the following questions.
1. How old were Alice and Henry when the bombing campaign started?
Alice was 7, and Henry 12.
2. Where was Alice when she saw the bombing for the first time? In her bedroom.
3. What did Henry and his brother do? They went out into the street to watch the planes. 4 . Where was Alice when a bomb fell on her street? In the underground. 5. Who was Henry with on the night he remembers best? His father.
Complete the sentences with the words below.
annoyed counting excited fire shouting sound supposed window 1. I remember that the house shook, and I looked through my bedroom ______. window 2. I remember seeing ____ fires in the distance. 3. I also remember that my parents were very annoyed _______ with me.
4. The first thing I remember was the _____ of the planes. sound excited 5. I also remember feeling very ______. 6. If I remember rightly, we weren’t _______ to do that. supposed 7. I can remember the firemen shouting _______ to each other. 8. I remember counting _______ the time between the raids one night.
Read the lines and answer the questions.
1. ---Did any of the bombs drop near you? --- Not on the first night. No, and I often wonder why. If you wonder about something, it means ____. a a) you feel lucky about something b) you ask yourself a question c) you ask other people
2. If I remember rightly… You say this if_____. a a) you are completely sure about something b) you think you are probably right c) you don’t usually get things wrong.
3. We weren’t supposed to do that. This means_______. b a) we didn’t plan to do it. b) the government didn’t want us to do it. c) we were very unhappy to do it.
4. We appreciated the opportunity to talk.
c It means_______.
a) we wanted an opportunity to talk.
b) we wanted the opportunity to talk.
c) we were thankful for the
opportunity to talk.
我很想知道他是谁。 I wonder who he is. 我记得聚会是在下午8点开始。 If I remember rightly, the party starts at 8 pm. 他应该懂得法律。 He is supposed to know the law. 我们感谢你们的帮助。 We appreciate your helping us.
Do you agree with the following opinions about war films? If so, tell reasons.
1. War films are important. They show people how terrible war is. After seeing a film about war, people will realize that war means death for a lot of people.
2. War films are not nice. They often show terrible things. We don’t need to see these things at the cinema. 3. People who like action films go to see war films. These people don’t change their minds about war after seeing the films. They are only there for the action, not the message.
Give you several war films, please use the sentences
mentioned above to describe the films.
You can use the following sentences. 1. It is a good film. I enjoyed every minute of it. 2. The film was directed by … 3. The film is about/set in the Second World War. 4. The theme song for this film is very cool. 5. The story itself is quite moving.
Read the sentences from the Interview with Alice and Henry.
1. I remember seeing fires in the distance. 2. I remember that the house shook. 3. If I remember rightly, we weren’t supposed to do that. 4. The first thing I remember was the sound of the planes. 5. I’ll never forget hearing that sound.
Work in pairs and complete the sentences in your own words.
1. I remember (doing something)_________. 2. If I remember rightly, ______________ 3. The first thing I remember (about a person/place) was_________________. 4. I’ll never forget (doing something)______.
Work in groups and describe your memories of the following events. the sound of the artillery jumping into the water how you felt when you reached the beach what you did next who you met when you got off the beach
Have a try to write a passage, describing a war film you are