Background information: 35 Senior high school students Lesson duration: 45minutes Analysis of the teaching material
This lesson plan I’m going to talk about is from SEFC
book1A, Module 3, My first Ride on a Train. This lesson is a reading passage. It mainly tells the author ’s first train travel. By learning the text, students can know the different scenery during the journey. They can also learn something about the Afghan railroad history.
Teaching methods and learning methods
To achieve the teaching aims above, I’ll adopt the following teaching methods: 1. task-based language teaching—help students to learn the whole text 2. situational approach –enable the students to be active and creative 3. communicative approach—help students to improve the speaking ability 4. pair work or individual work method –help students to improve their language ability. The learning methods : Taking notes, Communication, Contrasting Analyzing and Cooperation study.
1) Knowledge objectives: To help the students to master the usage of the —ed form
and make sure they know the difference between —ing form and —ed form. At the same time, I’ll help students to learn how to describe their travel experience.
2) Ability objectives: Enable the students of using the –ed form properly and
improve their language ability. The Students can use the –ed form to describe a journey and expressing their own feeling. 3) Emotional objectives: Get the students to know more knowledge about a journey and know how to describe it, and strengthening their love of the nature by given a simple introduction of eco-travel. On the other hand, let the students to get an understanding of the importance of the train.
1. –ed form 2. Words or phrases: long-distance, railway line, spend, abandoned, shine, scenery, dark red, comfortable, get off, be short for 3. 重点句型 What a ride! Etc.
Teaching key points:
1. Master new words and useful expressions and main idea.
2. How to master the reading skills and practice in reading.
Teaching aids: PPT, tape, blackboard, chalk, and pictures.
Types of Lesson: Reading
Teaching producers: Step1. Getting ready (8mins)
1) Warm up A. Show students some pictures to review the words of transport. B. Let Ss look at the map of the railways in Australia. C. Discuss which city you would like to travel and how to get there. 2) Word bank and language points. A.–ed form B. Long-distance, railway line, expert, spend, abandoned, shine, scenery, dark red, comfortable. C. Get off, be short for. D. And what a ride! 一次多么美妙的乘车旅行！ 本句为感叹句，主谓语被省略，全句是：What a (beautiful) ride it was! 感叹句由 what 或 how 引起，what 修饰名词，how 修饰形容词、副词或动词。 eg :What a tall boy he is! =How tall the boy is! 【*有时， 感叹句可以有一些单词或词组组成： eg: Fire! / Good heavens! / A great idea!】
Step2. Reading (10mins)
1) Fast reading: read the text as soon as possible and find out main idea of the text, main idea of each paragraph, main sentence in each paragraph 2) Detailed reading: answer those questions: Judge the following sentences T or F: 1. John and Xiao Li haven't seen each other for six years. ( 2. John has never been to China before. ( 4. Xiao Li enjoys living on the coast. F ) ) F ) 3. There are very few tourists on the coast ( F (T ) (T ) T )
5. There are a lot of new high-rise buildings in Gulangyu Island. ( 6.There are some interesting buildings on Gulangyu Island.
Step3. Practice (25mins)
Task1 Gap-filling and completes sentences A Gap-filling 1. I sat and ____(looked/look) out of the window, and sometimes _____(talked/talking) to other passengers.
2. In 1925, they ___ (passed/pass) a law which allowed people to shoot the animals if they were a problem. 3. We ate great meals ____(cooked/cooking) by experts 4. We saw ___(abandoned/abandon) farms which were built more than a hundred years ago. 5. For many years, ____(training/trained) camels carried food and other supplies, and returned with wool and other products. Suggest answer: looked, passed, cooked, abandoned, trained B. Complete the sentences. For the first few hundred kilometers of the journey, the scenery___ very colorful. There were fields and the soil was dark red. After that, it was ___. The sun shone, there was no ___ and there were no ___ in the sky. Suddenly, it ___ hundred years ago. Suggest answer: was, desert, wind, clouds, looked Task 2 A. Transformation shine—shone spend—spent travel—traveled carry—carried B. Translate sentence into Chinese 1. Suddenly, it looked like a place from another time. We saw abandoned farms which were built more than a hundred years ago. 接着,时空像是突然发生了转变。映入眼 帘的是建造于一百多年前一些废弃的农庄。 2. One night, at about midnight, I watched the night sky for about an hour. The stars shone like diamonds. 一天晚上, 大约是在半夜,差不多有整整一个小时我都在注 视着夜晚的天空。星星像钻石一样眨着眼。 3. For many years, trained camels carried food and other supplies, and returned with wool and other products. 多年来, 经过训练的骆驼驮运食物及其他用品, 返回时还带着羊毛和其他产品。 Task 3 conversation Conversation: give some choices and ask the students to complete the conversation Choices: by, did, had, ate, spent, were, was like a place from another time. We saw abandoned farms which were built more than a
A .where ___you go? B. I ___ my first ride on a long-distance train. A. How about your travel? B. We ____ two days and nights on the train. The train was wonderful and the food was great. We ___ great meals cooked ___experts. A How about your feeling? B The train ___ comfortable and the people ___nice. Suggest answer: did, had, spent, ate, by, was, were Task 4 Team work: discussion (eco- travel) Discuss about the eco- travel in group, talking about the benefit and the beauty of nature.
Step 4 Summary and Assignment (2mins)
Summarize the whole lesson, and arrange the homework. Let Students write down their travel experience with the words，phrases, sentences and structure they learned. Then compare the different scenery with other students.
Reflection: (to be written immediately after the lesson)