Module III Unit 4
I. Warming up
1.What’s the meaning of the word “Astronomy”? the science of stars; the scientific study of stars and planets. 2. What words will you th
ink of when we talk about this topic? star, planet, the sun / moon / earth, solar system
恒星 行星 太阳 月球 地球 太阳系
3. How many planets are in the solar system?
Scientists now think Pluto is too small to be called a planet.
4. Do you know the correct order of their distance to the sun? nearest to the sun?
farthest to the sun?
5. The names of eight planets. ? Mercury 1) 水星 ? Venus 2) 金星 ? Earth 3) 地球 ? Mars 4) 火星 ? Jupiter 5) 木星 ? Saturn 6) 土星 ? Uranus 7) 天王星 ? Neptune 8) 海王星
6. Put them in correct order on P25. Uranus
Do you know their origin?
1.Have you ever asked your mother, “Mom, where do I come from”? 2. Nearly everybody has this or that puzzles: How do human beings come into being? How does the earth come into being? 3. In China, there are two legends about these puzzles. Do you know the names?
4. In the western culture, who creates everything in the world?
1.Do you believe in such stories? Are they based on science? 2. In this unit, we’ll learn something more scientific. 3. What’s the title of the text? 4. From the title, we can predict that the text may tell us the origin of life on the earth.
5. Which question are you interested in in this text? 1) How old is the earth? 2) How does the universe begin? 3) Is there any water in the Mars? 4) When did dinosaurs disappear? 5) Which animal is the most important one on the earth? 6. Do you know which paragraph you can find out the answer?
7. Conclude the main idea of each paragraph. 1) A widely ______ about the origin of the universe. _____ theory 2) The formation of the ______. earth 3) The __________ of water for life. importance 4) The development of ______ andanimals on the plants _______ influence earth. humans 5) The arrival of _______ and their /_____ on the effect earth. Ex.1 on P27 8. The main idea of Reading1. The text mainly tells us the _________ of the formation earth and the ___________ of life on it. development
This text can mainly divided into two stages
Stage 1 : The development of the earth
Stage 2 : The development of life (para 4—5)
Stage 1: The development of the earth (1) After the Big Bang, what was the earth like? a cloud of dust a solid globe
(2) What happened next? exploded with fire and rock produced water vapour and gases
(3) What did the water vapour and gases form?
the earth’s atmosphere
(4) What appeared as the earth cooled down?
water is important for the beginning of life on the earth.
Why is water so important for the beginning of life?
Because water allowed the earth to dissolve harmful gases into oceans and seas.
Stage2 The development of life
1.What life developed after water appeared? small plants appears in water
2.What life developed in water next? Shellfish and all sorts of fish
3.What about the life on land? green plants began to grow on land insects appeared
4. What life developed next on land?
amphibians on land and in the water forests
5.What life developed after forests appeared?
reptiles appeared dinosaur developed
6.What life developed after dinosaurs? mammals on land
7. What life developed after mammals? small clever animals
1.Who are the small clever animals with hands and feet? 2. Are they taking care of the earth well? Why?
Because they are putting too much carbon dioxide into the atmosphere, which prevents heat from escaping from the earth into space.
The earth may become too hot to live on .
Can you fill in the blanks?
shellfish and all 2 sorts of fish 4 insects 5 amphibians 7 8 9 10
1 small plants in water
3Green plants on land
reptiles dinosaurs mammals humans
Can you put the order of development of life into a time line?
1. Insects and amphibians appeared. 3 3. The earth became a solid ball. 9 5. Reptiles appeared. 2 7. The earth was a cloud of dust 6 9. Shellfish and other fish appeared. 12 11. Clever animals with hands and feet appeared 8 10 2. Dinosaurs appeared. 4.Small plants grew on the water. 7 6. Plants began to grow on dry land. 4 8. Water appeared on the earth 1 10. The universe began with a “Big Band”. 11 12. Mammals appeared. 5
Ex.2 on P27
Ex.5 on P27
How life began on earth is one of the biggest puzzles that scientists found hard to solve. What other puzzles are hidden in the passage?
How does the universe(earth) form? Why did the earth cool down? Why did water disappear on other planet? How did the dinosaur disappear ?
? After the “big bang”, the earth was still dust just a cloud of _______,it exploded _______loudly with fire and rock, in time which were _____ to produce carbon the_________, water vapour and other water gases. Then ________ began to appeared on the earth.
The small plants in water are considered ____________ to be the earliest lives on the earth. The O2 shellthey supplied encouraged the lives of____ -fish and fish Slowly green plants grew on __________. land animals land, which were followed by __________ amphibians like insects & ________. When the plants forests reptiles grew into______, ______ appeared. Then dinosaurs developed but disappeared later, _______ which made the rise of a totally different mammal animal,______, possible, and finally humans _____ spread all over the world.
1. Finish the exercise 1and 2 on
page 63 2. Read the text again and find out your difficult points.